CBS Ranks Power Five Football Coaches

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
So if there are 36 better coaches than CPJ, how does he take a school with a recruiting disadvantage and slobber knock an SEC school with no recruiting disadvantage and 8 future NFL players on its roster in a BCS game?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I know we will never see it (and I like CPJ being our coach) but part of me would love to see what CPJ could do at one of the factories.

acedarney

Georgia Tech Fan
So if there are 36 better coaches than CPJ, how does he take a school with a recruiting disadvantage and slobber knock an SEC school with no recruiting disadvantage and 8 future NFL players on its roster in a BCS game?

Because that happened in 2014, and this article was written in 2016.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know we will never see it (and I like CPJ being our coach) but part of me would love to see what CPJ could do at one of the factories.

I'd personally like to see him in the NFL.

I thought Chip Kelly would change the way NFL types viewed option heavy offenses...but he slowly conformed his offense to the NFL's "we need a pocket passer" mentality. Man, that offense was fun to watch with Mike Vick at QB. Hopefully Kaepernick stays with the 49ers and Kelly goes back to his Oregon roots.

CPJ offense would be something else. I mean, you've got QBs like Vernon Adams, and Trevonne Boykin, two of the most prolific QBs in college football, not being drafted at all. Tell me they wouldn't take CPJ's offense to a whole new level. That's not including other guys who had to swap positions to play in the NFL. But this is an entirely different discussion.

Back to the thread...

Tech went from an 11-win season and an Orange Bowl victory in 2014 to a 3-9 record in 2015, which affects Johnson's ranking quite a bit.

That last part is the key. These rankings are fluid, so if CPJ had another 11 win season, he'd easily be a top 20 coach...IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tech went from an 11-win season and an Orange Bowl victory in 2014 to a 3-9 record in 2015, which affects Johnson's ranking quite a bit.

That last part is the key. These rankings are fluid, so if CPJ had another 11 win season, he'd easily be a top 20 coach...IMO.
But as you suggested, that fluidity is not consistent across the entire spectrum of coaches. Kind of invalidates the whole deal in my book.