CBK Presser

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Interesting for a lot of tidbits, one big thing for me is he clearly said Buster will call the O and Thacker will call the D.

He also talks about this offseason is about toughness. "I don't care if we have 4 calls on D, 4 calls for running and 4 route schemes" this is about getting dirty and blowing people up. Scheme will be worked on in the summer, for drawing up concepts and work. Spring is going to be about wanting to take the fight to the opposition every snap.

Also said we might go try to snag some more help in the portal.

slugboy

Staff member

Interesting for a lot of tidbits, one big thing for me is he clearly said Buster will call the O and Thacker will call the D.

He also talks about this offseason is about toughness. "I don't care if we have 4 calls on D, 4 calls for running and 4 route schemes" this is about getting dirty and blowing people up. Scheme will be worked on in the summer, for drawing up concepts and work. Spring is going to be about wanting to take the fight to the opposition every snap.

Also said we might go try to snag some more help in the portal.

I would like more than 4 route schemes, but at this point I’ll take running one well

GTJohn70

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't know if you guys would remember this but back in the Dodd era, GT would go to bowl games and while the other team was practicing and beating each other up, GT players were playing volleyball to maintain their timing but the bowl game was their reward. At least that is what I was told when I arrived in 1966.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't know if you guys would remember this but back in the Dodd era, GT would go to bowl games and while the other team was practicing and beating each other up, GT players were playing volleyball to maintain their timing but the bowl game was their reward. At least that is what I was told when I arrived in 1966.
Dodd (to my knowledge) never operated in conditions that were as polarizing as what we have today.

Today, if you relaxed at a bowl game and subsequently lost the game, you'd be pilloried on everything from ESPN to this message board.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the video. My impressions:
1) He looks exhausted......hope he is enjoying his time off.
2) No nonsense, no gimmicks, no smoke and mirrors.
3) First word that came to mind : TOUGHNESS. Amen !!:love:
4) He "rings true"......not a slick car salesman selling gimmicks.
5) I think the players will run through a wall for him, because he has been there, done that, himself.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In his 1st interview after being named interim head coach, a reporter asked what he would change. He replied "practice", which pleased me, because I thought one of our biggest problems was lack of toughness. Collins played music and ran wimpy practices. No wonder we complained about the OL. They never got physical practice until game day. I believe, win or lose, we are going to see a tough, physical effort .

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Dodd never beat up on his players, he was known for that, but contrary to what some are suggesting that it was the times, he was known to be unique for that. Many coaches around the country would beat up on kids to run them off and make place for more recruits. The intensity of fans was just as strong then as it is now, maybe even more so but the communication outlets were very different and info much slower to get around. Many coaches would say Bobby Dodd was the only coach that could coach the way he did and get his players to perform with maximum effort, mistake free (relatively) capitalizing on breaks, winning CFB. It was truly unique IMO.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
This is true. There are many stories like this contained in Coach Dodd's biography , "Dodd's Luck" written by Jack Wilkinson written in 1988. It is a must read for historical minded Tech fans and is available on Amazon.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
executing at a high level,
Don't ever use that phrase again, ever!
dont you ever say that high school GIF

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
After watching the presser last night, I felt it in my bones that my assumption was right. CBK stayed at GT because he knew TFG would be canned. He couldn't abandon ship on his alma mater, esp since he would be the interim. Seeing what TFG was doing to his program must have been excruciating, soothed with the hope that it would all be over with soon. I hate he had to put up with TFG for so long. I'm glad he's our coach. We might not win it all, but we're gonna be a tough out for everybody who dares enters the same stadium as our opponets.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After watching the presser last night, I felt it in my bones that my assumption was right. CBK stayed at GT because he knew TFG would be canned. He couldn't abandon ship on his alma mater, esp since he would be the interim. Seeing what TFG was doing to his program must have been excruciating, soothed with the hope that it would all be over with soon. I hate he had to put up with TFG for so long. I'm glad he's our coach. We might not win it all, but we're gonna be a tough out for everybody who dares enters the same stadium as our opponets.
Looking back, I think you are 100% right.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
I arrived in '67, the first season after Dodd retired, and heard some of the same things.

GTJohn70

Georgia Tech Fan
This is true. There are many stories like this contained in Coach Dodd's biography , "Dodd's Luck" written by Jack Wilkinson written in 1988. It is a must read for historical minded Tech fans and is available on Amazon.
I have that book and it is signed by Dodd. Bought it for my dad for a Christmas present when Dodd was signing them at the bookstore.