CBG

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I wanted Brad Stevens. Realize GT probably did not have the money. But I would have made him say no.

But here is the thing, to get a top quality, high name recognition coach may take a lot of money. I am talking a coach that will attract top 50 players to play for him as supposed to playing just for for GT.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Guys like Brian Gregory are very dangerous. They're dangerous precisely because they are personally likable and say all the right things. It makes the softer-hearted among our fanbase feel hesitant about judging him on the ice-cold, harsh reality of data and results.

I have only talked with CBG once and that was two years ago. He came to a GT alumni network meeting and is very likable. I'd like for him to get another 2-3 years at least to get a full chance.

I'm no basketball expert, but the fundamentals of the team passing, rebounding and in bounding are much better than Hewitt. Even our free throws are finally getting better (or were when I paid attention.) Now being better than Hewitt is a pretty low bar. But I remember a lot of miserable games when Cremins was coach. I'm soft enough that I would have kept him forever even though we had some tough spells.

I'm apathetic about the team now, but it's a contented apathy since I think we'll get better!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I wanted Brad Stevens. Realize GT probably did not have the money. But I would have made him say no.

But here is the thing, to get a top quality, high name recognition coach may take a lot of money. I am talking a coach that will attract top 50 players to play for him as supposed to playing just for for GT.

They reached out to him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wanted Shaka Smart still do.
Gregory is a nice guy and all but yeah I wanted Shaka.
I wanted Shaka Smart also. Been following him for personal reasons. The day VCU played USC in the First Four, I emailed DRad and suggested him. He wrote back saying Coach Smith was a heckuva a coach. Yes... Coach Smith.

By the time that run was over, Shaka was out of our reach and it's unlikely we ever get another crack.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like CBG as a person. I think he's brought in some good players, despite having what some may view as mis-steps, and I think those players like him. I also think he's an ok coach. Not the worst, but there are certainly better.

That said, I think CBG has this year & next year. We could know by November if he's likely to get his 5th year, as he may have a Jaylen Brown-headlined recruiting class. If a JB-led 2015 class doesn't come to fruition, we'd better see INCREDIBLE player development & record improvement for year 5 to happen.

On the one hand, we have to face reality of finances during the immediate future. At the same time, I think the day those realities are lifted will occur in due course, based on results.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a vast majority like the way CBG handles himself and represents GT.

Seems as if he is doing pretty well recruiting and I think we are better than under Hewitt at the end.

But his 1st year was really not a fair shot, and the injuries this year have been unreal. Seems strange that there appears to be many critical of him in only his third year.

Smart has not left for any job. I gotta believe DRad reached out to all the hot prospects.

Craig and Mark - because we love them does not mean they would have been great HCs. Their names may not mean a thing to great HS players we need to recruit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the criticism is due to the way we lose. I think we all "grade" him on a curve based on the things going on that are out of his control.

If Craig or Mack had never played here, considering either as our head coach would be panned severely.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Bruce Pearl would be available when the time comes? I know he comes with some baggage, but still.

What about little Ricky Pitino? What's his contract and pay with Minnesota like?

With that, I still like CBG, and I really hope he turns thing's around within the next two years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agreed. I hope CBG establishes a foundation that results in him being here 5-10 years, because if he is, it will mean we'll have seen a lot of GT wins. Also, I've always speculated he'd like to be in the mix at Michigan State when Izzo hangs it up. He'll need to win here for that to happen, resulting in all boats rising.

That said, I just want to compliment everyone for being able to have this conversation in a rational manner, without bashing coaches or players, but at the same time having a frank, realistic discussion over what would be a taboo subject on certain other boards that would bring out the misery hounds. Thanks.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought the same re. MichSt but figured if he ended up being a viable candidate it'd still be good for GT.

Stinger90, I expect Pearl to end up at BC honestly. Educate us on Pitino, jr. Is he more than just a name at this point?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In season 1, with few to none of his own recruits, Richard Pitino is 16-8 and 5-6 in B1G play. Pretty solid mix of wins & losses. He got the job after a single season at FIU. I've heard pops campaigned for him to get the job, but he did send him off to get some experience first.

I like Pearl as a future option. Does BC care enough about hoops to pay what Pearl will cost?

I've got another one totrack for the future, but need to read up a little more before I put the name out there.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I fully agree with Atomic. CBG says and does all the right things. Hard not to like him and cheer for him. He's been dealt some hard breaks and probably deserves a couple more years. However, I have a funny feeling Bobinski, whether this year or next, wants to make his first major impact hire for GT sports. He hires great basketball coaches and has an incredible record of doing so at Xavier. I'm hopeful for the future because of this fact.

I wonder how maybe replacing PJ football-affects PG.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
In season 1, with few to none of his own recruits, Richard Pitino is 16-8 and 5-6 in B1G play. Pretty solid mix of wins & losses. He got the job after a single season at FIU. I've heard pops campaigned for him to get the job, but he did send him off to get some experience first.

I like Pearl as a future option. Does BC care enough about hoops to pay what Pearl will cost?

I've got another one totrack for the future, but need to read up a little more before I put the name out there.

Thanks for giving more info than I did. With me taking care of my mom (stage 4 cancer), I just don't have the time to post the info like I should. Can't wait to read your post.

I really enjoy reading everyone's post on the live games to post-game thoughts people may have. THANKS!

GO JACKETS!!!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are multiple thoughts floating out there that we've either already paid him a lump sum or we've restructured it to give him lower payments over a longer period of time. I wish I had a better answer for you.