CBG

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
Why did he get extended at the beginning/before the season? I would've thought year 3 would've been a big year where he would've continued the trend of increased wins or fallen back a bit. As an AD I would've used year 3 to either extend him or light a fire under him. However, based on the amount of money we have available maybe Bobinski is setting something up for the future. Will be interesting to see..

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
He got an extension because a coach with no future can't recruit. He's had some tough luck this year

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
GTJason's right. Also, I doubt the extension would be a factor keeping us from firing him if it comes to that. JMHO

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Everything you guys have posted has been what I have heard from people connected to the team. Gregory got a 1 year extension to recruit, look at our upcoming targets and they are very big fish, but also the extension won't hinder a buyout.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I like the guy personally but between bad luck on injuries, bad decisions on signees, and no offense-he is in big trouble

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I like the guy personally but between bad luck on injuries, bad decisions on signees, and no offense-he is in big trouble

I think we all agree that he's a great guy. That's what makes this so hard. If he can land a plus class next year he's got a shot.

Just read this on an elite '16 recruit who we absolutely need to be in on but apparently aren't: http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentuc...significant-interest-in-2016-pg-kobi-simmons/

“Right now, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Missouri and are all calling with a lot of other big schools,” Simmons told SNY.tv.

When he was asked which schools were working the hardest, there were select schools that have been calling the most.

“Right now, I would say Kentucky, Duke, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt are working the hardest,” Simmons said.
Way early but still.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
glad you think he is a great guy because most of you have talked repeatedly about firing him without giving him a chance. you would end up firing coach k at duke too imo. your more about firing than support that i can see.

some of you just enjoy being miserable all the time and taking everybody with you.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
glad you think he is a great guy because most of you have talked repeatedly about firing him without giving him a chance. you would end up firing coach k at duke too imo. your more about firing than support that i can see.

some of you just enjoy being miserable all the time and taking everybody with you.
The day Tech fans stop being emotional about the teams is the day we're really in trouble. I don't believe I've ever called for his firing and I don't take your comments to be at me, but I certainly understand people who are calling for his head. Most of those comments are coming in the wake of a loss and I don't think I'm alone in saying we could have certainly won a few more games. In fact we have lost games we have had double digit leads in. In those games when I'm a few bourbons deep and we start giving away the lead, you'd think I hated the man if you were at my house. I try not to be too emotional on the internet, but it happens some times.

CBG has been dealt a rough hand: Year 1 - no arena, Year 2 - all good players are freshman, Year 3 - Everything looks good and then we lose 2 Point guards, a SR wing and our ACC leading rebounder. He's losing 2 big men, and his SR PG next year. I fear next year is his last year and he hasn't really had a chance here. He's done a lot of things right to have such bad luck on the court, but if he doesn't win and as a result that new arena isn't getting filled he's gotta go. That's just a business decision for MBob.

FWIW if it were up to me I'd let him have 3 more years. This year should have been his year, crap happens. I think next year will be similar to this year, but the year after his big class will be seniors. He should have some dynamic freshman if he can recruit like he has been and barring bad luck he has no excuse to not be an above 500 team in the acc. JMO, feel free to disagree.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The day Tech fans stop being emotional about the teams is the day we're really in trouble. I don't believe I've ever called for his firing and I don't take your comments to be at me, but I certainly understand people who are calling for his head. Most of those comments are coming in the wake of a loss and I don't think I'm alone in saying we could have certainly won a few more games. In fact we have lost games we have had double digit leads in. In those games when I'm a few bourbons deep and we start giving away the lead, you'd think I hated the man if you were at my house. I try not to be too emotional on the internet, but it happens some times.

CBG has been dealt a rough hand: Year 1 - no arena, Year 2 - all good players are freshman, Year 3 - Everything looks good and then we lose 2 Point guards, a SR wing and our ACC leading rebounder. He's losing 2 big men, and his SR PG next year. I fear next year is his last year and he hasn't really had a chance here. He's done a lot of things right to have such bad luck on the court, but if he doesn't win and as a result that new arena isn't getting filled he's gotta go. That's just a business decision for MBob.

FWIW if it were up to me I'd let him have 3 more years. This year should have been his year, crap happens. I think next year will be similar to this year, but the year after his big class will be seniors. He should have some dynamic freshman if he can recruit like he has been and barring bad luck he has no excuse to not be an above 500 team in the acc. JMO, feel free to disagree.

I'm ok with that. I would like to see how he does with hopefully Jaylen Brown and couple other strongly ranked guys coming in with Carter and Hunt as seniors.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
BG does and says all the right things, which makes it hard not to like him. His weakness is offensive game planning, he needs to bring in a strong X's and O's offensive minded assistant. BG IMO struggles to design strong half court offensive sets, not as bad as blewitt (thank god) but still very weak in the half court which is why we struggle so much against the zone. If he can continue to recruit well and bring in a good offensive minded assistant he might last here a while.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the zone is killing us. IMO the problem is not the X & O's but the players. None of the guards are really comfortable taking the 3 point shot and are reluctant to take it. The inside guys are getting the ball back out to them but they just do not pull the trigger. Losing Jorgenson really really hurt.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
jason your correct my comment wasnt directed at you. being emotional about gt is one thing but many and i mean many have been negative towards cbg from the getgo. if i had to put a number on it i would guess that roughly half of our fans have talked about how long he is going to last or firing him after the first year... from the getgo.

nobody would have guessed that coack k would be moving towards 1000 wins when he first started at duke. all im saying is why talk about his failing all the time rather than his success as many of our fans do. we gave phewitt 8 years to tear our program down and want to toss cbg aside before he even has a chance.

i am sure there have been a few teams that have had a year like this one as far as injuries go but i cant recall many.

go jackets

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, count me as a guy who never wanted CBG. Now, that doesn't mean I root for him to fail. It also doesn't mean I ignore the positive things he's done here (as many of you do with regards to our former coach).

What it does mean is that when I see things playing out the way I expected them to, it's hard to just not say anything. The issues we're having now were evident back in '09 when we played his Dayton squad.

At the end of the day, I hear you gtpi. I actually thought I'd been pretty fair but maybe not. I certainly recognize the need to avoid negativity as I've seen it tear down many a discussion.

We have an opportunity to finish the year well if BBCarter is actually healthy enough to contribute, so how's about we just root for our Jackets to go undefeated and let everything else play out?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, count me as a guy who never wanted CBG. Now, that doesn't mean I root for him to fail. It also doesn't mean I ignore the positive things he's done here (as many of you do with regards to our former coach).

What it does mean is that when I see things playing out the way I expected them to, it's hard to just not say anything. The issues we're having now were evident back in '09 when we played his Dayton squad.

At the end of the day, I hear you gtpi. I actually thought I'd been pretty fair but maybe not. I certainly recognize the need to avoid negativity as I've seen it tear down many a discussion.

We have an opportunity to finish the year well if BBCarter is actually healthy enough to contribute, so how's about we just root for our Jackets to go undefeated and let everything else play out?

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Guys like Brian Gregory are very dangerous. They're dangerous precisely because they are personally likable and say all the right things. It makes the softer-hearted among our fanbase feel hesitant about judging him on the ice-cold, harsh reality of data and results.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
I fully agree with Atomic. CBG says and does all the right things. Hard not to like him and cheer for him. He's been dealt some hard breaks and probably deserves a couple more years. However, I have a funny feeling Bobinski, whether this year or next, wants to make his first major impact hire for GT sports. He hires great basketball coaches and has an incredible record of doing so at Xavier. I'm hopeful for the future because of this fact.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I wanted Shaka Smart still do.
Gregory is a nice guy and all but yeah I wanted Shaka.