Carpenter (nothing to worry about)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That’s the bottom line. As a former educator and someone that still works with youth;
1. “GT plays football?” The know GT players football but.... GT is not remotely on the forefront.
2. “I don’t like that offense.”
3. “I don’t want to play in that offense.”
4. “I want to play in the NFL.”

Even the “smart” kids want a shot at the league. It ain’t calculus that’s turning off kids on site.

Maybe not initially but the instant one of those nfl kids starts getting sold on GT they immediately get the calculus fear put in them by everyone else.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the bottom line with recruiting:

Is it harder to recruit at GT? Yes.
Are the limited (i.e. HARDER) degree choices compared to other schools a factor? Yes.
Are our math and science requirements a factor? Yes.

Anyone that argues those points and argues our pool of recruits isn't smaller than for the majority of FBS schools is kidding themselves and shouldn't even try to debate this issue.

HOWEVER, that being acknowledged, it's time to also acknowledge that GT should be doing better than we have in recruiting. I'm not talking about top 10, or even top 20 (althought it's not unreasonable to think GT should have a top 20 class once every 5 years or so). There are PLENTY of high level recruits that have the academic credentials and aptitude and are willing to take Calculus. We are recruiting 15-20 "smart" kids a year. We are not starting over and recruiting 85 kids a year.

As I pointed out earlier, there's really not much difference between recruiting in the 50's and recruiting in the 30's. The difference teams who recruit in the 30's sign 2-3 more 4 stars per year, and the back end of their signings are rated a little higher. That really shouldn't be difficult. It's definitely not as difficult as some on here want to believe.

Techster, you give a number of actual, factual reasons that recruiting is tougher for GT then say we “should” do better. The question I have for all the “shoulders” on the board is, “HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU “SHOULD” SOMETHING TO HAPPEN THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED”?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not initially but the instant one of those nfl kids starts getting sold on GT they immediately get the calculus fear put in them by everyone else.

If they not ready for it. There a lot of kids taking calculus now, including football players.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Techster, you give a number of actual, factual reasons that recruiting is tougher for GT then say we “should” do better. The question I have for all the “shoulders” on the board is, “HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU “SHOULD” SOMETHING TO HAPPEN THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED”?

GT has recruited well before.
So.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I came here to read awesome stuff about Carpenter and found ANOTHER recruiting thread. Like what I see so far from Tariq. We have needed someone to fear on that side of the ball. Some people just know how to hit. I’m high school it was Gabe Chapman. At Tech it was Travaris Tillman who knocked my eye crooked one time.

Charlie Thomas is another good hitter.In fact, maybe had the best hitting hi school tape.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Did I miss the 1990 NC the three wins over UGA with Joe Ham. GT has recruited well before. There was once NFL caliber players on GT’s roster.

I think you missed the introduction of APR as well as its predecessor policies. We were ultimately put on probation for violation of some predecessor rules during the 1998-2000 seasons if I recall correctly, and those rules weren't as stringent as the present APR rules.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think you missed the introduction of APR as well as its predecessor policies. We were ultimately put on probation for violation of some predecessor rules during the 1998-2000 seasons if I recall correctly, and those rules weren't as stringent as the present APR rules.

That’s not what he posted. He stated GT has NEVER recruited well. Which is not true.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
“Stansbury was also asked about the possibility of adding majors or lowering Tech’s academics standards – two suggestions that fans have often had to help with Tech’s recruiting. Stansbury called that “recruiting hype.

He proceeded to note that the Tech football team has been successful in the past even with the institute’s academic rigor and that he believed that can continue. “

That’s your AD talking. Saying exactly what I’m saying.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...n-like-everybody-else/OKjUkdZS6C79mnJ9CgozXM/

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting analyst for Rivals.
38CF0D8E-4E8B-4DCD-96E5-454BBFDC488E.jpeg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
“Stansbury was also asked about the possibility of adding majors or lowering Tech’s academics standards – two suggestions that fans have often had to help with Tech’s recruiting. Stansbury called that “recruiting hype.

He proceeded to note that the Tech football team has been successful in the past even with the institute’s academic rigor and that he believed that can continue. “

That’s your AD talking. Saying exactly what I’m saying.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...n-like-everybody-else/OKjUkdZS6C79mnJ9CgozXM/

Actually, he said nothing about improved recruiting.

He was clearly saying that under CPJ we've been successful without improved recruiting and will be again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have several really good players that we have recruited. Just not enough of them in some key positions. Carpenter has really high potential. Our problems historically have been on defense and ST except for the Butker years under PJ.