Can't Help It 2013 VT Midline Review

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The DT on the 2nd play actually did a pretty good job on the fly. He initially went after the Bback...saw the keep and adjusted to make a dive at Vad. Stuck his arm out and snagged Vad enough to slow him down juuuust a tad. The half step Vad lost becuase of it allowed the pursuit to catch Vad and trip him up before the goal line. But ya...Days whiffed on that block and Perkins touched no one. The whiff was bad. We really need to make those blocks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If the dt is in a 1 tech in the play side a gap the guard will chip him but not block him. The qb reads live what is going on. Most times they take the bb which is why the midline is often a qb carry.
Thanks.
Where does the Bback/qb run with the ball if the DT lines up in the playside A gap?

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
For anyone wondering, we do score a TD on that drive to cut the VT lead to 14-10 in 3rd quarter.

That was probably our best drive of the game, 82 yards to score a TD.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Making sure I understand the terminology.

0-Technique: Lined up directly on center
1-Technique: Lined up in A-Gap
3-Technique: Lined up in B-Gap
5-Technique: Lined up outside shoulder of OT

Correct or incorrect.

0tech correct
1tech is lined up inside gaurd shoulder. Not a gap.
2tech straight up gaurd
3tech is gaurds outside shoulder. Not b gap. But clearly to that side.
4 tech inside tackle shoulder. Also bgap
5 tech correct outside tackle shoulder

If a linebacker is doing any of these walking down its the same numbers just add a 0. So 20 tech. 70 tech. 50 tech etc.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For anyone wondering, we do score a TD on that drive to cut the VT lead to 14-10 in 3rd quarter.

That was probably our best drive of the game, 82 yards to score a TD.
I think that was one of the best D's we faced all year, btw. Maybe not best D overall, but best D vs us. They had the perfect scheme and the perfect players to execute that scheme. Hopefully we are better prepared this year. From watching the spring game I think we will.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks.
Where does the Bback/qb run with the ball if the DT lines up in the playside A gap?

So that is either a 0tech with a plus alignment or a 1 tech with a minus. Super common. The play will still go agap because you are choosing the option based on this DTs movement. Lets say he rushes straight. The guard will hit him but the qb has to read the dt now. If the dt crashes and hits the bb the qb has spacing to side step and still hit that agap with the gaurd now in the second level hitting the lb. If the dt stays and plays the qb or the "lane" then the bb goes over the centers *** basically but shaded to the playside gap side. This is why the center has to turn.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Logan Thomas always brought his A game vs us. Hopefully JT can return the favor to them this year. But VT was not very good overall on O last year IMO.... They were good on D but their offense let them down leading to a subpar year. I expect their D to be good again and their O to be better. Someone has to step up at QB for them tho. Pulling against them on that one.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Logan Thomas always brought his A game vs us. Hopefully JT can return the favor to them this year. But VT was not very good overall on O last year IMO.... They were good on D but their offense let them down leading to a subpar year. I expect their D to be good again and their O to be better. Someone has to step up at QB for them tho. Pulling against them on that one.
From reading the report on their spring game, it sounds like they will continue to be bad on offense.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
0tech correct
1tech is lined up inside gaurd shoulder. Not a gap.
2tech straight up gaurd
3tech is gaurds outside shoulder. Not b gap. But clearly to that side.
4 tech inside tackle shoulder. Also bgap
5 tech correct outside tackle shoulder

If a linebacker is doing any of these walking down its the same numbers just add a 0. So 20 tech. 70 tech. 50 tech etc.

Be aware that there are different numbering schemes. For example, in some schemes a 1-tech is over the shoulder of the center and the inside shoulder of the guard is a 2i-tech.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Be aware that there are different numbering schemes. For example, in some schemes a 1-tech is over the shoulder of the center and the inside shoulder of the guard is a 2i-tech.

very true, but generally direct for either case....you always shade a shoulder for leverage.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What's the mask position? @33jacket
Do you mean QBs face mask?

yes, vads facemask is not at the DT he totally telegraphs the play. his face mask is parallel, actually behind the LOS. You know who didn't do this well...ie did it very nicely or correctly was Tevin and Josh. they sold the BB power play very well, you had to really look at the DT and OL action to bead if it was a handoff or an option

Vad was not finely tuned doing this....

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
yes, vads facemask is not at the DT he totally telegraphs the play. his face mask is parallel, actually behind the LOS. You know who didn't do this well...ie did it very nicely or correctly was Tevin and Josh. they sold the BB power play very well, you had to really look at the DT and OL action to bead if it was a handoff or an option

Vad was not finely tuned doing this....

In the first video, which you think is a called dive, why isn't the DT blocked? Do you think CPJ was just trying to see how the DT would react? It seems odd to me that he would call a dive and not block the DT.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
In the first video, which you think is a called dive, why isn't the DT blocked? Do you think CPJ was just trying to see how the DT would react? It seems odd to me that he would call a dive and not block the DT.
If you do this, then you have more blockers than they have defenders and it's a big play. At worst, you have a 1-on-1 with the BB and the DT in which case we probably get a couple yards. Here, the DT was hesitant/late on his assignment on the BB, thus we actually got closer to 5 yards. That's a successful play. If Sims actually keeps his feet through that tackle, it's likely a big play because we've got a hat on a hat on the 2nd level. This kind of play forces the DT to sell out more on the BB or we could run this play all day long for at least 5 yards a pop. And, CPJ expects this, and once he has the DT more fully committed to his BB assignment, the QB keeps it and gets an even nicer gain and possibly another big play if he keeps his feet (and if there's more field in front of him). It's a pretty tough deal for the defense. That's why I personally love this offense and think it's as good as there is at any level of play - there are so many ways to put the defense in a bind. Of course the defense can adjust to this series, and then we go to something else that takes advantage of their adjustment.

The VT defense is well-coached, fundamentally sound, and talented so they're pretty good at limiting us ... But, I really think they've been the beneficiary of major luck against us, from Nesbitt's injury (while we're in the middle of blowing the doors off of their defense) to them being able to time our snap count due to a couple of our OL not being able to go on two last year and the fumble in the opening sequence. I think they're a good defense and play us well, but I really don't think they can stop us. They can limit us, but not stop us. We've been stopped by our own mishaps and the fates against them. I would not be surprised to see our offense be very successful against them this year or any year. As an old coach of mine used to say, "If they play their best, and we play our best, we win."

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you do this, then you have more blockers than they have defenders and it's a big play. At worst, you have a 1-on-1 with the BB and the DT in which case we probably get a couple yards. Here, the DT was hesitant/late on his assignment on the BB, thus we actually got closer to 5 yards. That's a successful play. If Sims actually keeps his feet through that tackle, it's likely a big play because we've got a hat on a hat on the 2nd level. This kind of play forces the DT to sell out more on the BB or we could run this play all day long for at least 5 yards a pop. And, CPJ expects this, and once he has the DT more fully committed to his BB assignment, the QB keeps it and gets an even nicer gain and possibly another big play if he keeps his feet (and if there's more field in front of him). It's a pretty tough deal for the defense. That's why I personally love this offense and think it's as good as there is at any level of play - there are so many ways to put the defense in a bind. Of course the defense can adjust to this series, and then we go to something else that takes advantage of their adjustment.

The VT defense is well-coached, fundamentally sound, and talented so they're pretty good at limiting us ... But, I really think they've been the beneficiary of major luck against us, from Nesbitt's injury (while we're in the middle of blowing the doors off of their defense) to them being able to time our snap count due to a couple of our OL not being able to go on two last year and the fumble in the opening sequence. I think they're a good defense and play us well, but I really don't think they can stop us. They can limit us, but not stop us. We've been stopped by our own mishaps and the fates against them. I would not be surprised to see our offense be very successful against them this year or any year. As an old coach of mine used to say, "If they play their best, and we play our best, we win."
Can I double like this post!!!!!!!!!!!!