Can you really effect recruiting?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Get on twitter and follow our recruits, show them love, tweet, retweet and favorite. You can really create momentum and excitement. I am not saying you can change their mind from their dream school, but you could help tip someone who is truly deciding.

https://vine.co/v/MTIKg170YiW

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
of course you can affect recruits' decisions...
lil-wayne.gif

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Just my opinion, I'm not going to get on twitter just to follow a bunch of high school kids and try to influence them one way or another. There's a lot that goes into picking a school for these players and I'd like to think that the players coming to Tech don't factor twitter retweets from fans in their decision at all. Not saying they don't, but they shouldn't. If they choose to come to Tech, then great. If they choose to go somewhere else, then that was their decision.

And just to be clear–not saying you shouldn't do what you want on twitter, just saying I'm not going to.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These young students make their decisions for all kinds of reasons. There is probably a common list that goes into most decisions... NFL, playing time, competition, conference, location, major offered, but don't leave out fans. Fan's and loud stadiums are apart of the whole experience.

I too want the student athletes to choose based on education, major, and their future. There are other schools that offer a good education. All things being equal, these guys are going to go were they feel excited. Fans can add to that excitement.

There is no right or wrong. I just want to add to the program as a fan by attending games, making sure our players know I am yelling for them, and letting the recruits know we GT fans are excited about them possibly joining our team.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Are you the same fan that thinks by shouting we will score more? Or doing the tomahawk chop the Braves will bat higher than .240? Or suggesting to the coach he pass more? We fans think we influence a lot more than we do.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are you the same fan that thinks by shouting we will score more? Or doing the tomahawk chop the Braves will bat higher than .240? Or suggesting to the coach he pass more? We fans think we influence a lot more than we do.
But isn't that the job of the fan? My job description includes shouting at the tv, singing a song after touchdown, & doing the Budweiser dance at the end of the 3rd quarter. As far as thinking we can influence a potential recruit on social media it may be tilting at windmills but "We are from Georgia Tech, we can do anything".:playful:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have you ever heard of the 12 man? How about the negative recruiting from our spring game and the 300 fans in attendance? How hard is it for a player to get into a game with a dead crowd? Or is there a home field advantage? Ever seen a QB try and call a play or snap count in a loud stadium? I guess recruits don't imagine a stadium full of people cheering for them. Ya, fans do nothing for the game (ever been to a Duke home game?). Fans do not win games, but we seem to be worth at least 3 points.

How can 200 cards from a school effect a players recruiting? Why are college coaches on twitter now? Why do coaches have to go visit in person? Why is a weight room that important or indoor practice facility? Why are uniforms important? Why is having an ice cream machine important? A young athlete's selection process is not a logical decision that Sheldon can map out like making friends. These are both logical and very emotional decisions. Does the coach really want me? Do I feel excited when I am on campus? Do I mesh with the players?

Yes, I am the fan that believes a dead crowd gets a dead game. I have seen the crowd effect the emotions of the players. We have all seen the players ask the crowed to be louder. Yes, I am the screamer that you all hate to sit beside.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Add me to the hated club after next season. Chairbackers, if any of them come to the games, are probably not going to like their new neighbors. I'm moving in.
Well it sounds like there needs to be a section just for us screamers because I definitely don't plan on sitting. I anticipate having no voice left after each game! #GoJackets

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
All the screaming I have done against UGA has not helped one bit in the past 50 + years. It just leads to indigestion. You long time Tech fans should know this by now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's creepy and no.
There's a pretty big difference between cheering during a game and stalking 17 yr old high school boys online.
I've admittedly waivered on this assessment, but ultimately I think some people confuse Twitter with private webcams. Twitter is essentially a public blog for anyone to communicate. If recruits find it creepy they have the ability to keep their thoughts private, reject requests from followers, and adjust privacy settings so that certain individuals don't see it.

My sense is that those recruits who re-tweet messages from fans enjoy the attention, and therefore I tend to believe it has some affect on their recruitment as would 'fan support' of other kinds. I don't personally tweet at recruits, but I'll pay attention since they offer real-time recruiting info that many members here 'Like'.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A Stalker is someone who does obsessive observation.

I feel it is creepy to be obsessed with any one player or create personal direct contact.

Discussing 17 year olds in a public forum could be considered creepy... Following players/recruits on twitter could be considered creepy... Being a fan in general could be considered creepy.

Each person has a right to an opinion. I feel open, non private, non obsessive, supportive, football related general communication on twitter is acceptible, for me.

You don't have to tweet to be supportive. Simple likes, retweets, and follow are big for these recruits.