Can we talk about So. Poole?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've been a big fan on his mainly because we desperately need him to be that 5-star caliber PG. Last year he came in understandably behind the curve but I think we all expected him to be further along this year.

He had that one good stretch towards the end of IIRC the St. John's game but, other than that, he's been hit or miss (mostly miss).

Now the migraine thing has kept him out of 2 games. Now, I've had migraines off and on since I was about 7-8 and it takes a bit to get back up to speed. I can't imagine having to play in a raucous arena within days of having one so I'm not ready to press the conspiracy button yet. I just find the timing a wee bit curious considering he was coming off consecutive games where he was essentially out of the rotation.

I'm just starting to have a bad feeling this experiment may be teetering on the brink. Any thoughts?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what's up with him. I was hoping he would be our next Jarrett jack, but it looks like he's a bust. I know he had some off the court issues in high school so maybe he's having problems focusing on basketball. I hope he turns it around and excels in the next couple of years. We could really use a star PG

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The Jury is still out on him. People crapped all over Bolden (including me) for all of the pt he got earlier in the year with horrible performances and now he's coming along. Solo hasn't had enough pt this year for me to assess his abilities. He's insanely athletic and some of the things he does such as wild passes are probably thrown under the assumption that someone with his skills is on the receiving end. I also think he gets hurt because coming in with fresh legs 20 mins into the game he is faster than a lot of guys were to start. He wants to push the ball with guys who can't keep up. I would like to see him and his brother run the 1 and 2 guard spots and see what happens. Give me MGH or a healthy Morris and Q at 3 and 4 and Miller/Holsey or even better Carter if he can come back at Center to clean up any trash and I think we might get to see what he's capable of. He's a solid shooter to say the least (he has 20 3's on the year in 245 mins compared to Golden's 19 with 526 on the court.) I can predict he'll break out and be a Shumpert kind of player, I just don't know when that'll be. I hope he has more around him here than Shumpert did or at least finds a way to use who he has.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That's a big comparison to shump. He's one of the most athletic guys in the NBA let alone college. I hope you're right and he can turn it around. I sure would like to see that lineup that you mentioned. It sounds so good yet we're 11-7?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
All I know is there is more to the story...it isn't just migraines. I hope we find out soon.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All I know is there is more to the story...it isn't just migraines. I hope we find out soon.

You know this to be fact that there's more to it than just migraines?

I think we expected more out of Solomon and he's shown flashes, but let's keep a few things in mind.

1) He's still younger than the average sophomore. That's a group decision that was made, but it's where we're at. The result can be some inconsistency as a result.
2) If coach says it's migraines, then you need to accept that until told otherwise. Had dinner with a friend last night who suffers from migraines. She indicated that it could knock someone for a loop for a week with no problem if it was intense enough. Now they're adjusting medication, which could take time to get used to.
3) Let's face facts that Solomon is a ballhandling combo guard. I think he can play the PG spot on offense, but he needs to be coached strongly to take care of the ball. That's on him to be responsible when he's playing that spot and on the coaches to instruct him appropriately. That said, over time, my personal opinion is that he'll be a much stronger contributer off the ball. The potential comparison should likely be Will Bynum. Sparkplug who can score in multiple ways and create for himself when needed.

I hope Solomon gets well soon and continues to work hard on developing because we'll need him, but until there's an announcement otherwise, let's all be careful with the conspiracy theories about a 19 year-old college student seeking to put on a good game for us fans.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I heard rumblings. My gut has been telling me since last year that he won't finish here. It's been like Juwan Staten all over again. Just been hoping to be wrong.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I know the coaches had a meeting with him yesterday according to someone on the team I know...we will see what happens from here. Maybe he will be back soon.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
This from a 9/5 Winkeljohn article.

"Poole's recovery from shoulder surgery has gone well enough that he was cleared a couple weeks ago to go full. Bolden, however, is a bit behind physically after a summer groin injury, and swing man Stacey Poole, Jr., was slowed by a hamstring."

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I have also heard that he may be off the team. Hope he can get it together, although Jorgenson might beat him out next year anyway.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I have also heard that he may be off the team. Hope he can get it together, although Jorgenson might beat him out next year anyway.

Coming into Tech, I read somewhere that he had some issues, so to speak. I thought having big brother here would help keep him in line if that's the case. Regardless, I hope to see him back on the court soon.

Like Eric said, "let's see what happens from here". Whatever the case may be.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Like I posted in the other Solomon thread there is more to the story than just mirgraines....he isnt in any kind of trouble that I know of though.

I was told there is no timetable for his return.

Hopefully whatever the issue is he gets cleared up.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I heard rumblings. My gut has been telling me since last year that he won't finish here. It's been like Juwan Staten all over again. Just been hoping to be wrong.
yep,
from first with his hi school antics I wondered what kind of fit for a school like Tech

Matt O'Reilly

Georgia Tech Fan
I know about four of the managers on the team and they all say he's gone for good. either transferring or getting kicked off. They all say he's mentally insane and causes more trouble than he's worth

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I know about four of the managers on the team and they all say he's gone for good. either transferring or getting kicked off. They all say he's mentally insane and causes more trouble than he's worth

Thanks for the info. What ever happens, I wish him luck in his adventurers.

I wonder what big brother thinks?

This will be another thing to blame on CBG, along with recruiting him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thanks for the info. Gotta TIFWIW though. How do you know your friends aren't 'mentally insane'? :bored: