Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Every day that passes with NIL evolving further like this pushes Tech deeper into a hole that we literally will not be able to escape from. Middling athletic schools are going to be left with nothing, at least for football it seems. We at least had a shot beforehand, but it's clear that this is just legalized cheating since the NCAA had no choice but to fold to pressure from the supreme court, etc.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
A bi-partisan move in the Senate to regulate the NIL:

Wonder what they'll come up with?
I for one feel a WHOLE lot better about the future of college athletics now that Congress is involved. Breath of fresh air!!
It’s time we kick all of that cumbersome, antiquated, bloated bureaucracy of the NCAA to the curb!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I for one feel a WHOLE lot better about the future of college athletics now that Congress is involved. Breath of fresh air!!
It’s time we kick all of that cumbersome, antiquated, bloated bureaucracy of the NCAA to the curb!
Well, the NIL can't be regulated by the NCAA. It was established by state law and can only be superseded by federal law.
But I feel better, too, knowing somebody's trying to make some sense of 50 state jurisdictions and NIL provisions without guardrails.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Well, the NIL can't be regulated by the NCAA. It was established by state law and can only be superseded by federal law.
But I feel better, too, knowing somebody's trying to make some sense of 50 state jurisdictions and NIL provisions without guardrails.
I was laying out quite a bit of sarcasm but you’re right, the NCAA could (and would) do nothing. I’m not optimistic about what will be done, nor do I know what should be done. With congress involved, my guess is they’ll just add a tax on it and claim the proceeds will be used for non revenue college sports....

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing wrong with NIL. I‘m more concerned about the constant changing of the actual on field rules that result in penalties or strategy’s that affect the on field game. Why should I be concerned that now all teams will have access to all players instead of just the big boys buying them with cars and cash while the NCAA puts us on probation and strips our titles? Am I suppose to cry because Texas A&M can now buy players instead of Bama or UGA? I can’t wait until some rich school like SMU decides to dip into the real money to buy players. Remember, when SMU did it before how the big boys had the NCAA give them the death penalty for having the nerve to do what they were doing? College football is the best soap opera around. Watching Saban and Kirby lead the verbal charge to rein in NIL is just awesome. Drug dealers mad that other dealers now have access to their neighborhood is just funny to me.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The chain said it wanted to sign offensive line groups, rather than individual athletes, and is now working with players from Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Miami, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Florida Atlantic and USF.
Part of the NIL partnership will include the players visiting Hooters locations, starring in social media campaigns for the company and encouraging fans to utilize the restaurant for tailgate and viewing parties during the college football season.

"It is an honor to have Hooters promote the big guys up front and advocate for the work, dedication and spirit of offensive linemen throughout college football," Quick said in a statement. "Like an offensive line, Hooters is all about comradery and having a good time, and I think I speak for all linemen by saying we are extremely excited to partner with a restaurant we already love and throw down some wings."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Texas just announced a new deal for their offensive linemen that takes each player to $150k. They have a multi-million dollar fund that will clearly grow from there. No way Alabama or Ohio State falls behind.

I'm glad we were able to get the TiVo deal for our players, but I don't see a fund or large corporate contract coming to save us (sorry, my nest egg can't quite cover a fund for the team).

So... what happens next? Given the portal now allows immediate eligibility, do we see a seismic shift in 2 years or less? Even if you find a diamond in the rough, they will likely look to transfer if they shine.

Am I doom and gloom or do others see it trending this way?
Just thought I would bump the original post.

ANSWER:
NO.
We aren't competitive before NIL.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only issue with the whole Senate angle is that will is really be seen as an important enough issue for Congress to spend time on.
Their time is very limited and very few bills actually advance.
Also, just having it done in the Senate is only half of Congress - you need the same bill to be created and passed in the House. Once you have the exact same bill passed in both houses it would go to the President to sign or veto it.

I just have little belief that at least in the near term that this will be seen as an important enough issue for Congress to spend any real time on it.

JacketFan137

Banned
cj stroud made a comment that the players deserve part of the tv revenue. i think the acc should look into that as it may be the only way to keep the conference nationally relevant as the super conference arms race continues

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
cj stroud made a comment that the players deserve part of the tv revenue. i think the acc should look into that as it may be the only way to keep the conference nationally relevant as the super conference arms race continues

Even if the ACC were first to do that, the SEC and B1G would just follow up behind us and pay their guys more. I don't know that it would make us any more relevant than we already are...