Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
people need to stop saying “college football is becoming the nfl!” awful point to make. college football becoming the nfl would be amazing because there’s a salary cap and the league has actual parity. it’s wayyyy past the nfl now. this is complete free market with zero checks and balances. the rich just getting richer
I liked you post, but in reality I hate it. I just strongly agree with you!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
gt dropping down to play with ksu and furman would probably end gt football because we sure as hell aren’t making close to enough money to sustain the team unless we are in p5
There is no need to drop down. Can Tech play 0.500 (at least)? Yes. Scheduling will help. That alone keeps the ACC Network money coming in and you fund other sports where you have a more than reasonable chance to compete. You will not be able to stay in the ACCN without football, so a dropdown basically kills Tech athletics in general. Just follow the Vanderbilt model ... take the money and do well in baseball, golf, etc.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There is no need to drop down. Can Tech play 0.500 (at least)? Yes. Scheduling will help. That alone keeps the ACC Network money coming in and you fund other sports where you have a more than reasonable chance to compete. You will not be able to stay in the ACCN without football, so a dropdown basically kills Tech athletics in general. Just follow the Vanderbilt model ... take the money and do well in baseball, golf, etc.
I think this conversation centers around the top teams breaking away. So the ACC, SEC, etc will be morphed when Clemson, FSU, UNC, and other big state schools break away. At that point all the TV deals will be redone so don’t exp3ct the ACC network to even exist as we know it today. If the top 2 tier ps break away they take all the money and TV with them and schools like GT, Wake, Purdue, etc will be playing on streaming services.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
question, do you watch college football at all? we lost to clemson on the road by 6 with our backup qb. ole miss last season had their first winning season with a record above .500 since 2017 and just had a qb taken in the 3rd round. uga i will give you but to say we don’t have a chance in those games is a pretty major stretch

you also aren’t gonna attract a coach like riley anyway based on the talent we had on the roster. usc even though they haven’t had great records has players littered all over the nfl still.

gt dropping down to play with ksu and furman would probably end gt football because we sure as hell aren’t making close to enough money to sustain the team unless we are in p5
Man, come on now. We are talking about the future where everyone is screaming about NIL killing the sport (I’m not and I have no issue with NIL). My issue is that I’m an alum and fan of a school that refuses to do the things to improve but they sure do whine when they don’t win. And we have no chance in those games. Sorry. I’ll be at all 3 like I have been for years so I’m use to it.

And when the top tiers break away whether we are P5 or not won’t matter. The money and TV will follow them not the left overs so whether we are P5 or D2 it doesn’t matter at that point.

As for your comment about Riley, did we even try? That’s my entire point. We don’t even try and our own fans like you are absolutely at the ready with excuses. The formula is clear to start winning - hire a proven coach and buy players. It’s what Bama has done and UGA has done. USC and TAMU are now doing it. Ohio State is another. Others will join them. Will GT? We all know the answer. Cincinnati made the final four and because they hired a proven coach and buy players. It’s not a hard formula.

If we had offered Lincoln Riley 20 million a year and allowed him to play the game like he will at USC we’d be top ten within 3 years. Instead we’ll be on to a new coach winning 4-5 games a year in 3 years.

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, we just disagree. I get what you are saying. A little cheating is ok but a lot of cheating is bad. We probably agree on 99% of this stuff. I just don’t see what the difference is between NIL and what Bama and UGA have built the past decade. Those two teams used the under the table way to build NFL rosters. Where is the parity in that? The only difference today than how Bama and UGA built their teams with bagmen is that the bagmen don’t have to hide now. I believe NIL will bring more parity than what we’ve seen with Bama, UGA, and Ohio St signing all the top guys. We haven’t had parity in decades.

Regarding our GT team, we are hosed in either system whether it invoked a little cheating or a lot of cheating. So, yes, I will continue to enjoy college football like I always have. I will root for GT in the games that don’t matter category and I’ll root for the underdog in the games people actually care about. I feel bad for fans like you who have just woken up. Welcome to my world since Herschel. You get use to it and every once in a while we’ll luck up with a decent defense and a legit QB to win some games."... every once in a while we’ll luck up with a decent defense and a legit QB to win some games.
"... every once in a while we’ll luck up with a decent defense and a legit QB to win some games."
This is truth....

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, we do agree on a great deal of this. The survival of the scale down approach to the KSU/Furman level depends a lot on the timing. For that to have a chance in hades, a great many supporters like myself would have to die off. The youngsters will show up for the small ball way more than those with a memory of CBD, CBR, CGOL, and CPJ. 15-20k in HBDS is not sustainable. The good news for the small ball fans is: we are dying off rapidly. I've posted before on different contexts, Gawd this World is soon gonna really miss my parents' WWII generation. New, modern, and change in general, is not always an improvement.
I think GoldZ and SOWEGA are both correct. They are arguing " a distinction without a difference". NIL makes Tech farm team for Power guys.

Also, I am always amazed how much GT fans hate each other.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I think GoldZ and SOWEGA are both correct. They are arguing " a distinction without a difference". NIL makes Tech farm team for Power guys.

NIL makes Tech cannon fodder for the power guys, not a farm team. Your take was SOWEGA and I hate each other!? Wow...agreeing to disagree while mostly agreeing is not hate....imo. You are right though, we are both correct (mostly me) :>)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think this conversation centers around the top teams breaking away. So the ACC, SEC, etc will be morphed when Clemson, FSU, UNC, and other big state schools break away. At that point all the TV deals will be redone so don’t exp3ct the ACC network to even exist as we know it today. If the top 2 tier ps break away they take all the money and TV with them and schools like GT, Wake, Purdue, etc will be playing on streaming services.
That's highly likely NOT to happen. Breaking away would trigger anti-trust issues. More likely, the conferences remain how they are and ... there is a Premier League of the Top 10-20 programs that one can opt into joining if it meets certain criteria.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
NIL makes Tech cannon fodder for the power guys, not a farm team. Your take was SOWEGA and I hate each other!? Wow...agreeing to disagree while mostly agreeing is not hate....imo. You are right though, we are both correct (mostly me) :>)
You probably are more correct!! I love this stuff whether we agree or disagree. ESPN has turned sports into a soap opera and I’m a sucker for this stuff. The bottom line is GT has never played the game the same way the top teams do in the modern era. Hence, we get lucky once a decade and are mediocre the other years (thankfully we hired Bobby Ross and he brought in some studs). And we compounded that problem by hiring a guy who took us from mid pack in a weak conference to a bottom feeder in a weak conference.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's highly likely NOT to happen. Breaking away would trigger anti-trust issues. More likely, the conferences remain how they are and ... there is a Premier League of the Top 10-20 programs that one can opt into joining if it meets certain criteria.
You are right and wrong. The conferences may remain a shell of themselves but the media will relegate them in exposure and time slots so it’s all relative. You will have to search long and hard on your TV dial to find the 2nd tier games. I fully expect we’ll be searching on line for GT football games like we do now for baseball games. That’s what we get for becoming irrelevant. Boy what a fall since that Mississippi State game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You are right and wrong. The conferences may remain a shell of themselves but the media will relegate them in exposure and time slots so it’s all relative. You will have to search long and hard on your TV dial to find the 2nd tier games. I fully expect we’ll be searching on line for GT football games like we do now for baseball games. That’s what we get for becoming irrelevant. Boy what a fall since that Mississippi State game.
Regardless, it’s not going to happen until the SEC contract is up for renewal. In what? 10 years?

JacketFan137

Banned
I liked you post, but in reality I hate it. I just strongly agree with you!
nfl has had the far superior product for a long time unfortunately. it’s gotten to the point where outside of georgia tech football i really only watch the rest of the college games to see who i’m gonna draft in fantasy football rookie drafts. as far as a product in terms of competition, excitement and all that the game is too far gone. the playoff really killed the parity

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There are a number of posters that acknowledge we cant compete with the mega p5 - ever.
I love NIL because almost everyone agrees we can t compete with the mega p5.

The easy thinking is to say the big guys changed too much and we will just compete in a lessor level
Our long term debt has kept us from hiring better coaches.

With less tv money and our debt , will we be able to out buy Jackson state?

Recruits will hear Go to THE HOT "Jack State" that's got a good NIL crop.
Lower academics means don t study - party and work out like crazy so you may get CALLED UP. IF NOT YOU partied and played and CAN GET A JOB BACK HOME WITH THE COUNTY.

The big guys are leaving and the new NIL based schools will be coming.

Hello Patriot league

JacketFan137

Banned
There are a number of posters that acknowledge we cant compete with the mega p5 - ever.
I love NIL because almost everyone agrees we can t compete with the mega p5.

The easy thinking is to say the big guys changed too much and we will just compete in a lessor level
Our long term debt has kept us from hiring better coaches.

With less tv money and our debt , will we be able to out buy Jackson state?

Recruits will hear Go to THE HOT "Jack State" that's got a good NIL crop.
Lower academics means don t study - party and work out like crazy so you may get CALLED UP. IF NOT YOU partied and played and CAN GET A JOB BACK HOME WITH THE COUNTY.

The big guys are leaving and the new NIL based schools will be coming.

Hello Patriot league
i still don’t see us dropping that low. college football likes having teams with inflated records. i don’t see them filling a super conference with just the super factories. tech wouldn’t be down that far

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
You probably are more correct!! I love this stuff whether we agree or disagree. ESPN has turned sports into a soap opera and I’m a sucker for this stuff. The bottom line is GT has never played the game the same way the top teams do in the modern era. Hence, we get lucky once a decade and are mediocre the other years (thankfully we hired Bobby Ross and he brought in some studs). And we compounded that problem by hiring a guy who took us from mid pack in a weak conference to a bottom feeder in a weak conference.
It’s like being a bottom half revenue mlb team. You just can’t recover from a bad signing. That’s where we are today. Gonna be a slow climb back and it’s going to take a lot of luck

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

We don't hate each other. We're right and refuse to listen to anything that is contrary to what we think because we're right. If you say someone won't get a ticket doing 6 mph over the speed limit, someone else will say it's 7 mph and die on that hill because....well, they're right by jeezus and nothing you have to say will sway them from being right. I don't care what you have to say...because I'm right and you only need to listen to me.

Uh, oh. I've been drinking bourbon on a Tuesday night. Watch out!

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you really believe we’ll be waiting for a contract to expire? The world no longer works like that. Everything is always a negotiation.
Your argument suggests the mega P5 teams are of the same mind and will be rowing in the same direction. First, that rarely happens with competing organizations with huge egos making loads of money.

Secondly, the super conference concept is being pushed more by the “have nots” who think it’s unfair to compete with the big boys. Although some of the “big boys” acknowledge there are issues, most of them are pretty happy with the status quo because they are making more money than their competitors and they want to maintain that competitive imbalance. Renegotiating of TV contracts and conference alliances will not be as simple nor quick as you are implying

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Do you really believe we’ll be waiting for a contract to expire? The world no longer works like that. Everything is always a negotiation.
Yes, I do. Because there is no alternative today. We describe here, in this forum, as if it is happening this year! It isn't. It's a concept that MIGHT happen in a few years. And the best analysis I have read is that the SEC will renegotiate it's contract and, potentially, the Super League contract as a net add to that ... not a replacement.