Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Saban starting to get like coach k..."they're cheating and we would never do that..."
This is just pure comedy. This is what our society has become. All aspects of life are now TMZ moments. This is the 21st Centuries version of soap operas. So a program who is the King of under the table deals are now mad at teams who are good at over the table deals. This is awesome to watch and we all know it’s heading to the end of the NCAA. We are watching a new sport be created before our eyes. I have no objection because I prefer an honest model over what we’ve been sold the past 80 years about “student-athletes”.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Happy Jerry Seinfeld GIF

JacketFan137

Banned
deion sanders made a great point the other day. the nil is getting crazy cause you have coaches making less money than 18 year old kids.

for example jordan addison allegedly got close to 3 mil. that is basically collins salary so he will be paid more than every OC, WR coach, etc. collins has one of the cheapest coaching contracts out of sec/acc/big10 so no way we will be competitive with that. just crazy to think about and i don’t think it will be too long until some kid dramatically effs his life up cause that’s an insane amount of money for an 18-20 year old to get. have no idea what kind of character addison possesses but imagine a guy like manziel running into that much lol

it’s also barely name image and likeness deals. they aren’t actually doing commercials and promotions they’re just getting funneled money. very much pay to play

slugboy

Staff member
deion sanders made a great point the other day. the nil is getting crazy cause you have coaches making less money than 18 year old kids.

for example jordan addison allegedly got close to 3 mil. that is basically collins salary so he will be paid more than every OC, WR coach, etc. collins has one of the cheapest coaching contracts out of sec/acc/big10 so no way we will be competitive with that. just crazy to think about and i don’t think it will be too long until some kid dramatically effs his life up cause that’s an insane amount of money for an 18-20 year old to get. have no idea what kind of character addison possesses but imagine a guy like manziel running into that much lol

it’s also barely name image and likeness deals. they aren’t actually doing commercials and promotions they’re just getting funneled money. very much pay to play
In the NBA and MLB and the NHL and the NFL, a lot of players make more than their coaches. Not many make more than the OWNER, but it’s arguable that’s because they’ve set up a system to prevent that from happening. There are lots of places where skilled workers make more than their bosses. Some of the exceptions are where there are rules that block that from happening — NCAA athletics had an extreme version of that rule which blocked most income for the athletes.

I agree it’s heavily pay-to-play and the system is being gamed by coaches and boosters and athletic departments.

But I have the world’s smallest violin for coaches making high 6 and 7-figure salaries, who make more than their BOSSES, and are often the highest-paid STATE EMPLOYEES weeping about someone making more than them.

Just two years ago **Randy Esdall** was the highest-paid state employee in Connecticut. Now, THAT'S CRAZY.

(just counting over-the-table money, of course)

(This map is 2015, but still reasonable. I think some basketball coaches have been edged out. Some college presidents in the “blue” have definitely been edged out by football coaches since this map was made)

My point is that it’s silly for Deion Sanders to say that players making more than their boss is economically crazy and then not blink an eye when he himself makes more than his boss and his boss's boss.

FB003997-426D-493B-8D50-72CA700A4430.jpeg

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I love college sports and will continue to have season tickets, but will never throw my hard earned $$ away at random teenagers that I don't know.

It's just plain dumb!

What about a random, middle-aged, non-pole dancin' adult that you don't know?

Asking for myself a friend.

;)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
In the NBA and MLB and the NHL and the NFL, a lot of players make more than their coaches. Not many make more than the OWNER, but it’s arguable that’s because they’ve set up a system to prevent that from happening. There are lots of places where skilled workers make more than their bosses. Some of the exceptions are where there are rules that block that from happening — NCAA athletics had an extreme version of that rule which blocked most income for the athletes.

I agree it’s heavily pay-to-play and the system is being gamed by coaches and boosters and athletic departments.

But I have the world’s smallest violin for coaches making high 6 and 7-figure salaries, who make more than their BOSSES, and are often the highest-paid STATE EMPLOYEES weeping about someone making more than them.

Just two years ago **Randy Esdall** was the highest-paid state employee in Connecticut. Now, THAT'S CRAZY.

(This map is 2015, but still reasonable. I think some basketball coaches have been edged out. Some college presidents in the “blue” have definitely been edged out by football coaches since this map was made)

My point is that it’s silly for Deion Sanders to say that players making more than their boss is economically crazy and then not blink an eye when he himself makes more than his boss and his boss's boss.

View attachment 12446
The most surprising part of this map is that Florida and California are basketball states!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I said this previously - maybe in the CoachK retirement thread that the power dynamic between player and coaching staff is being thrown on its head.

Many coaches who have been at both the pro and collegiate level talk about the challenge of coaching a star player in the pros who is comfortable subverting the team for them to get theirs.

This has largely been avoided in college because of coach benches you, and you couldn’t transfer, you draft stock dissolves rapidly. That dynamic is gone now from college and I suspect we’ll see locker room issues WAY worse than in professional sports emerge soon. That’s part of what Saban was saying - and I think he is spot on. Throw in youth/undue influence of family/lack of certainty on how long the Wild West will last and we have a powder keg situation brewing.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
⬆️ also apparently I shouldn’t type while waiting for that first cup of coffee.. please excuse the typos - they were unintentional- and not meant to be a Tarzan parody.

1653054983891.png

JacketFan137

Banned

View attachment 12446
i didn’t mean it to say i feel bad for deion sanders or anything. i just think he has a good point that you’re gonna have a lot of kids coming from literally nothing to 7 figure NIL deals when they’re 18. obviously money was a thing before. we aren’t stupid, but now it’s just so public and out of hand and combined with the transfer portal at the same time it can ruin this sport. he also wants the ncaa to grant more coaching slots and i think that’s fair too

JacketFan137

Banned

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
we don’t have the fanbase or the alumni passion to go balls to the wall from the jump lol
It has nothing to do with fanbase or alumni passion. It’s the schools passion. If GT’s President came out and held a press conference about his athletic department and expressed a caring attitude and passion from those in charge the alum and fans would jump in immediately. But GT’s admin silence speaks volumes. They don’t care. At this point it’s clear that GT athletics has nothing to do with the school and the school does not support athletics. That’s a model for utter failure which we have seen for years.

If GT’s mechanical engineering program slipped from a ranking of #2 in the country to a ranking of 75th I believe we would see the admin working feverishly to address that. I can tell you this, if any of the P5 schools in our neighboring states stunk as bad as our major sports you’d see admin folks being shown the door. This has happened at UGA, FSU, Auburn and others. Those schools care about all aspects of their school. GT just doesn’t care. We should just name our sports teams the North Avenue Yellow Jackets since GT could care less they exist.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Little by little we are getting there. Other schools just announce stuff and then figure it out. It appears GT is the opposite, figuring it out before we announce it.
It appears to me that this is simply an accounting and oversight company for NIL and NCAA compliance. Kind of like ADP for NIL. Am I missing something? I don't see anything above compliance and tax paperwork in the release.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
For those holdouts that believe....NIL Good, look no further than our last FOUR DTs that were supposedly coming to Tech, only to go elsewhere. Why? We obviously got outbid at a position of historical need. Even the AJC has caught on, except for one very biased columnist. The only people who would buy into NIL, are OC and Che.