Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We should have a fund that gives recruiting classes joint stock in start ups that are created on Tech's campus. Kinda like Shark Tank. Low initial investment could yield huge results for our SA's in the long run.
I was trying to remind myself of this earlier today but ... Didn't TStan state that Tech's strategy is to NOT recruit 4 and 5* players (yes, a few might land on our steps, but that's not the primary thrust). I recall him justifying the New Edge as "we will recruit 2 and 3 star players and turn them into 5 stars". OK. If that's the strategy (is it still?), I'm wondering how much NIL will affect Tech players? Perhaps not that much ...

I don't think we have the resources to consistently recruit top players. We will need an edge. Or rather, a New Edge.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If the incompetent out of touch guys in Indy can’t solve it, surely the incompetent out of touch guys in DC can. :rolleyes:
The NCAA is so toothless at this point that i don’t even know why it exists anymore? Real laws are probably the only hope for getting this Wild West situation under control. The question is whether the politicians can get their sh!t together enough to actually write useful legislation? And with all the things that need to be done legislatively for this country this should fall near the bottom of the list in priority.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is so toothless at this point that i don’t even know why it exists anymore? Real laws are probably the only hope for getting this Wild West situation under control. The question is whether the politicians can get their sh!t together enough to actually write useful legislation? And with all the things that need to be done legislatively for this country this should fall near the bottom of the list in priority.
The last thing we need are more rules or laws. What we need is enforcement. But that is a dream because their are no enforcers anymore. The NCAA got fat and obese attending bowl parties, playoff buffets, and spending summers at Saban’s lake house. The NCAA is just a myth at this point.

What we need is for the Wild West to just take over. Stop pretending and let the players go to the highest bidder. That is a much fairer system than having schools like GT try to recruit a kid who has zero intention to come here because he is getting under the table inducements from the SEC. Listen, I hate it’s come to this but you could see it coming decades ago. At least GT can actually recruit players who may actually sign than waste hours and money on a kid who only wants a deal with Porsche or Beats.

Collins is a good recruiter and puts in work. But how much of his work was in vain when many players had zero intention to sign here. Now, we can write off certain players and concentrate on the ones we may get. Or we actually play the game and bid on players too. But I‘m long past the point of thinking GT cares about winning.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA can’t take down anything at this point. It’s just empty words on paper. Yeah, I believe the NCAA is going to take down boosters. Just like they did to Auburn and Cam. Oh, that’s right they didn’t do a thing but bluster for months on end with empty rhetoric. Those of you who believe anything that comes out of the mouths of NCAA officials live in dream world.

And yes, Saban, Kirby, and others want NIL to stop which is the only reason the NCAA is pretending they care. But the reason they want NIL to stop is because they had the best money laundering scheme in place for the old system. They can’t have this new generation of Lincoln Riley’s and others upsetting their Apple cart of thievery. This is nothing bit a mafia war and the old guard now want the NCAA involved. It’s just hilarious. I hope Jimbo, Lincoln, Mario, and others buy every stud for the next 4 years. Saban will retire to the lake and Kirby will simultaneously combust. Of course, I expect Kirby to simply change schemes and become the king of NIL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What an absolute poopshow:

On the one hand it's been a poopshow for years, but on the other I cut them some slack in the present situation because they are going to face massive litigation and an uphill fight in the courts.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
What an absolute poopshow:

NIL was literally the result of national issues and kowtowing on so many special interest issues.
NCAA being the entitled organization it’s reputed to be just followed along. Because it’s not like it cares about student [sic] athletes.

And so here here we are: Collegiate athletics dominated by entitlement, greed and self-preservation. This conversation parallels so closely on the unmentionable forums that have had so many at Swarm perm’d banned.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I see lots of lawyers...

Enforcement staff? This is comedy gold. It’s professional wrestling. Next year when the Parade of Roses is happening and USC is in the Rose Bowl and Bama and UGA are once again in the Final Four I’ll be sitting here reading about our coaching search laughing my back side off. As the previous poster stated - the NCAA has been gutted by the courts and lawyers. They have no where to go other than to seize to exist.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NCAA has always been self enforced by agreement among its members. The president's of its member institutions are the only real enforcement and that becomes the fox guarding the hen house in many cases particularly schools that benefit from national attention through their sports teams. The NCAA has no real legal authority and can only rely on cooperation by the offending member. Good luck with that!!!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
At least one coach is on the record, per SE, that it is happening. Granted, this article does not give specific player information has to whom and to where.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: ACC coaches see tampering as major issue.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It may be fun watching half the SEC end up with losing records after they are forced to only schedule each other.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
At least one coach is on the record, per SE, that it is happening. Granted, this article does not give specific player information has to whom and to where.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: ACC coaches see tampering as major issue.
Everyone is saying tampering enforcement is hard because it is difficult to prove misconduct and the overall process would be slow. To me the easiest thing would be to go back to saying if you transfer you have to sit out 1 year and you lose a year of eligibility. You can keep NIL in place all you want, but there won't be a lot of schools wanting to pay a kid who won't be able to play immediately and who will also lose a year eligibility. I'm not against the kid. They kid is free to move around and make as much NIL money as he wants, but there will also be consequences with moving around.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Everyone is saying tampering enforcement is hard because it is difficult to prove misconduct and the overall process would be slow. To me the easiest thing would be to go back to saying if you transfer you have to sit out 1 year and you lose a year of eligibility. You can keep NIL in place all you want, but there won't be a lot of schools wanting to pay a kid who won't be able to play immediately and who will also lose a year eligibility. I'm not against the kid. They kid is free to move around and make as much NIL money as he wants, but there will also be consequences with moving around.
+1 to this!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I was trying to remind myself of this earlier today but ... Didn't TStan state that Tech's strategy is to NOT recruit 4 and 5* players (yes, a few might land on our steps, but that's not the primary thrust). I recall him justifying the New Edge as "we will recruit 2 and 3 star players and turn them into 5 stars". OK. If that's the strategy (is it still?), I'm wondering how much NIL will affect Tech players? Perhaps not that much ...

I don't think we have the resources to consistently recruit top players. We will need an edge. Or rather, a New Edge.
If that is his plan he must also have a "plan" to go D2.