Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Bingo. It is not being used the way it was supposed to be used (not that we should be surprised by that).

Specifically NIL is not supposed to be used for 'inducement to enroll at a school', but that is exactly how it is now being used through the collectives that are springing up.
Also, it is supposed to be completely separate from the school (ie. no pay to play), but does anyone really believe these collectives are operating without input from the coaching staffs at their schools on who they want to target in re recruiting.

I'd be willing to bet there is some clause in that contract that will give the collective an out if the player gets injured or doesn't perform - despite that once again running afoul of the few rules for the NIL.
I completely agree with the bolded and have been saying that for a while.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have to keep up. This will all balance out. There have always been schools ”doing stuff” that many complained about. Should I be upset if TAMU suddenly takes the place of Bama? Or if a rich alum of Vandy buys them 85 players and they dethrone UGA? Heck no. I say let them. Currently, only 1 team can be crowned the Natty and only 4 can currently make the playoffs.. So why should I care how the 4 get there? The 4 are usually “doing stuff” to get there anyway. We all know UGA has paid players and bring in players who shouldn’t have passed high school. Cincy has zero standards and has a coach who knows how to babysit. Bama has the best money laundering system currently in the country. I say let everyone throw money at mostly uneducated young people and let them take the losses. I can’t wait to see all the unintended consequences surface.

The NCAA is dead and payments are now legal. I freaking love this sport even more now! The next 4-5 years will be fun watching teams try and load up while players take the loot and run.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My Point is, listening to some podcast and players talking, 95% of the starters at Nebraska are making 6 figures because of their boosters. Michigans RB is over 6 Figures. Tech might sign 1 player a year with enough clout to bring in that kind of money on their own from outside sources. The only way we can keep up is if the rich Tech fans start emptying their pockets. Which means we can’t keep up, and something that was once going to be an advantage for smaller schools will become a detriment, it all comes back to Fans and Money that decides who moves the needle in College Football.
It was never going to be an advantage for smaller schools. It was always going to be an advantage for the largest schools.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We don’t have to keep up. This will all balance out. There have always been schools ”doing stuff” that many complained about. Should I be upset if TAMU suddenly takes the place of Bama? Or if a rich alum of Vandy buys them 85 players and they dethrone UGA? Heck no. I say let them. Currently, only 1 team can be crowned the Natty and only 4 can currently make the playoffs.. So why should I care how the 4 get there? The 4 are usually “doing stuff” to get there anyway. We all know UGA has paid players and bring in players who shouldn’t have passed high school. Cincy has zero standards and has a coach who knows how to babysit. Bama has the best money laundering system currently in the country. I say let everyone throw money at mostly uneducated young people and let them take the losses. I can’t wait to see all the unintended consequences surface.

The NCAA is dead and payments are now legal. I freaking love this sport even more now! The next 4-5 years will be fun watching teams try and load up while players take the loot and run.
Bit Nihilistic - but yeah I see your point my friend. It will be interesting to see some of the Big Dollar Donors coming after players. A fool and their money are soon separated.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bit Nihilistic - but yeah I see your point my friend. It will be interesting to see some of the Big Dollar Donors coming after players. A fool and their money are soon separated.
My view is this is just the next twist in a hundred year line of twists. However, for many fans this is the first twist they are acknowledging and all of a sudden the world is ending. In the long view, the sport of football is so popular in this country that there will always be players to replace players. Fans claim they are close to being “done” with the sport. Why? It’s always been lopsided. Heck, the scores of todays games are not nearly as lopsided as in the 70’s and 80’s when teams had to run up scores to impress a 27 year old sports editor at the Spokane Times. Fans root for their school, not players, and there will always be players lining up to wear your teams jersey. Even if the NFL created a paid minor league system and every 4 and 5 star went pro out of high school the college game would still be fantastic because of the sheer number of players. It’s the reason lower level college games and playoffs are awesome to watch. Their are tons of ball players out there and they don’t mature at the same time.

As I stated, I’m looking forward to watching this NIL stuff to blow up in their faces like we know it will. Remember the first NIL guy - Ewers? He never played a down for that school. Let some rich guy pay Miami’s OLine and then he can watch them suck all season. Let a coach not play a million dollar baby and then watch the “Auburn scenario” play out at dozens of schools simultaneously. It’s gonna be awesome to watch. And then the NCAA will try and do something and every one will laugh and then the courts will get involved and eventually Congress. It’s gonna be fun.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s always been lopsided. Heck, the scores of todays games are not nearly as lopsided as in the 70’s and 80’s when teams had to run up scores to impress a 27 year old sports editor at the Spokane Times.
But a lot more teams had a shot at the championship back then. There was always hope, and we won one ourselves. What's the chance of that happening again in the present climate? Now, a much smaller number of teams have even a glimmer of a chance to compete for it.

I agree the NIL exuberance will probably be tempered down the line, but even if it does we'll be back where we were before any of it, which will still leave just a small handful of teams with any serious shot at the championship. The gross imbalance was here before the NIL. it's only making it worse.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It was never going to be an advantage for smaller schools. It was always going to be an advantage for the largest schools.
The premise was supposed to be guys making money with brand deals like NFL guys, not rich Alumni Used Car Salesman paying them to say they shop at their lot. Sucks but it’s being abused and we aren’t taking advantage like we need to.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
But a lot more teams had a shot at the championship back then. There was always hope, and we won one ourselves. What's the chance of that happening again in the present climate? Now, a much smaller number of teams have even a glimmer of a chance to compete for it.

I agree the NIL exuberance will probably be tempered down the line, but even if it does we'll be back where we were before any of it, which will still leave just a small handful of teams with any serious shot at the championship. The gross imbalance was here before the NIL. it's only making it worse.
The only reason the little team doesn’t have a chance today is because they are limiting the playoff system. And many fans of the little guy don’t want to see it expanded (see our own fans on this board). Once expanded into the 20’s you will see Cinderella’s just like in March Madness. But your point is correct, if a little team loses a game early the media and even fans of little teams turn on them and use it against them 3 months later. As for our title, how easily do our own fans forget how they tried to screw us at every term. And they did take our AP title. And we were 1 coaches vote from the UPI being taken away. Point is the little guys have never had a chance and everyone was fine with it (not me). When BYU was getting hosed, it made me mad because that could have been GT, etc. I‘m honestly shocked at GT fans who don’t want an extended playoff. They claim to hate the Bama’s and UGA’s but then play right into their hands by opposing a bigger system. A 4 team playoff only ensures the little guys get left out 95% of the time. Everything had to line up perfectly for Cincy this year. Expand to 24 and you’ll give the 2014 GT team a chance. Stick to 4 to 12 and the factories will continue to own the system.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only reason the little team doesn’t have a chance today is because they are limiting the playoff system. And many fans of the little guy don’t want to see it expanded (see our own fans on this board). Once expanded into the 20’s you will see Cinderella’s just like in March Madness. But your point is correct, if a little team loses a game early the media and even fans of little teams turn on them and use it against them 3 months later. As for our title, how easily do our own fans forget how they tried to screw us at every term. And they did take our AP title. And we were 1 coaches vote from the UPI being taken away. Point is the little guys have never had a chance and everyone was fine with it (not me). When BYU was getting hosed, it made me mad because that could have been GT, etc. I‘m honestly shocked at GT fans who don’t want an extended playoff. They claim to hate the Bama’s and UGA’s but then play right into their hands by opposing a bigger system. A 4 team playoff only ensures the little guys get left out 95% of the time. Everything had to line up perfectly for Cincy this year. Expand to 24 and you’ll give the 2014 GT team a chance. Stick to 4 to 12 and the factories will continue to own the system.
But we wouldn't have needed an expanded playoff 32 years ago. We would've made a two-team playoff.
That's a far cry from the 24-team playoff (or even a 16-team playoff) we would've theoretically made it into in 2014.
In 1990, it was between Colorado and GT. That's not happening today.

But I do see your point about an expanded playoff. It certainly would give a lot more teams some greater incentive and more of a chance. Don't know how many games can be crammed into a season, though. We're about maxed out now.

Jolly Good Fellow
Playoffs only work in arithmetic progression 2-4-8-16-32-64
Unlike basketball, football teams can, physically, only play once per week.... so additional time to crown national champ is 1 week-2-3-4-5
8 team play-off seems doable with 3 extra weeks...but 8 teams just means that 2 SEC and 2 Big 10s are auto in....
oh well...NIL and the portal have changed CFB... I am not optimistic that GTAA will navigate the new normal with success ....

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
But we wouldn't have needed an expanded playoff 32 years ago. We would've made a two-team playoff.
That's a far cry from the 24-team playoff (or even a 16-team playoff) we would've theoretically made it into in 2014.
In 1990, it was between Colorado and GT. That's not happening today.

But I do see your point about an expanded playoff. It certainly would give a lot more teams some greater incentive and more of a chance. Don't know how many games can be crammed into a season, though. We're about maxed out now.
Several points - if they had a 2 team playoff in 1990 there is no way you can say we would have been in the top 2. The system is so corrupt with only 2 teams that teams like GT would have been downplayed all season like others are now - strength of schedule, no marquee wins, etc. You would say we beat #1 Virginia as a marquee win. Think about it. Would they have had UVA ranked #1 when we beat them? Heck no. They would have claimed ND’s schedule was tougher, etc and would have kept teams like UVA and GT ranked much lower. Just like they do now to teams like us. You gotta see that, right?

As for number of games, come on now. No one cares about number of games. I’ve just watched GT baseball play more hours of games in a week than the football team does in almost an entire season. All they gotta do is cut out the BS games and use December weekends. The players are fodder and no one cares about them just like how we allow the hoops teams to play 30 plus games and travel all school week to play ball just like baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Playoffs only work in arithmetic progression 2-4-8-16-32-64
Unlike basketball, football teams can, physically, only play once per week.... so additional time to crown national champ is 1 week-2-3-4-5
8 team play-off seems doable with 3 extra weeks...but 8 teams just means that 2 SEC and 2 Big 10s are auto in....
oh well...NIL and the portal have changed CFB... I am not optimistic that GTAA will navigate the new normal with success ....
I don’t even know where to start with this. The playoffs can be set in any number of ways. The proposals all include byes for higher seeded teams with games on campus. For 24 teams, week 1 is 9-24, 10-23, 11-22 down to 16-17 with top 8 getting byes. Then week 2 is 8 games involving the top 8 seeds and winners. Week 3 is 8 teams down to 4. Week 4 is 4 to 2. Take away the BS auto win games in early September and play into January like they are doing now. 24 teams will be fairer and make more money for all. In other words, this is no different than the past. It’s just the next step. But keep believing a 4 team system is fair and that the game is changed due to NIL/portal. In 10 years when stadiums in December and January are packed and the playoffs are thriving we’ll revisit how the end is near. And I’ll be there when GT gets into the playoff.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t even know where to start with this. The playoffs can be set in any number of ways. The proposals all include byes for higher seeded teams with games on campus. For 24 teams, week 1 is 9-24, 10-23, 11-22 down to 16-17 with top 8 getting byes. Then week 2 is 8 games involving the top 8 seeds and winners. Week 3 is 8 teams down to 4. Week 4 is 4 to 2. Take away the BS auto win games in early September and play into January like they are doing now. 24 teams will be fairer and make more money for all. In other words, this is no different than the past. It’s just the next step. But keep believing a 4 team system is fair and that the game is changed due to NIL/portal. In 10 years when stadiums in December and January are packed and the playoffs are thriving we’ll revisit how the end is near. And I’ll be there when GT gets into the playoff.
I don't believe that a bit. I could see maybe an 8-team playoff.

I'm just saying the season is already just about long enough as it is. Are you saying they could drop a couple of games off the regular season schedule to compensate for the longer playoff? The powers that be (and the money that be) don't seem a good bet to be doing that. A 5-week long playoff isn't something they're going to sacrifice regular season games for. And it wouldn't be fair to all the other the teams that would have their seasons shortened. But that's just the way it seems to me...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I good with expanding it if we limit how many teams get in from each conference. However, I've always been a proponent of conference champions only, and that is all the conferences. If you don't win your conference, you don't deserve the chance to win the National Championship.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Frankly, not sure if y'all have talked about this already because ... frankly, I don't read most of y'all's crap so I'm posting this any way ...

https://www.si.com/college/2022/03/23/adidas-name-image-likeness-network

The brand announced on Wednesday that it is forming an NIL network that will be accessible to its 109 NCAA Division I partner schools. Through the program, eligible students across 23 D-I sports will have the opportunity to become a paid affiliate brand ambassador with Adidas, a first for a major sports brand.

This can't not be good for us. Can't it? :unsure:

Shout out too @TooTall , he's on top of thangs.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm in favor of having a larger playoff but I don't think it will make any difference in terms of the number of teams truly competing for a NC.
Football is a very different sport than basketball.
It requires alot more players and alot more resources. Also, the rules in basketball give the smaller institutions a better chance of competing against the bigger institutions that doesn't really exist in college football.
Regardless of how many teams you have in a college football playoff there will realistically be less than 10 programs capable of competing for a NC on a consistent basis.

The basic issue with the current NIL setup is that instead of it being a way for a SA to truly earn money based on sponsorships by legitimate businesses it has quickly evolved into a pay-for-play structure (that is a violation of NCAA rules that will likely never be enforced) by fans of schools where the only real thing the SA has to do to get the money is sign a few footballs or make a public visit.