Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

JacketFan137

Banned
i’m curious to see how companies feel about NIL deals as they continue to feed money into highly ranked recruits that are unproven assets

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Add Tennessee to those making a bold statement. I hope Legends has something like this in the works for us.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Not so sure if more applications from the students who are already there, won't actually up the curve. Isn't the left hand tail of the normal distribution curve gonna increase, as well as the right ? The left is gonna get left out, right ? Of course it's been half a century since I tool stats at Ma.
My interpretation was more applications in the meat of your distribution i.e. your 25/75% band but that band doesn’t shift up. I can’t swear to these numbers, but I have one kid in college and another starting at GT next year so I’ve followed this stuff:
GT 25/75% SAT is 1390/1550
Bama is 1060/1280
So Bama gets mileage from football. Kids with 1450-1500ish scores are already not necessarily getting in GT. Another way to think about it - how many folks with 1550 SATs pick a college based on football?
My best argument for football is positive impact on student life, but it’s tougher sell in upper echelons. Top students pursue Stanford/Duke/UVA/UCB etc. with whatever crap football.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My interpretation was more applications in the meat of your distribution i.e. your 25/75% band but that band doesn’t shift up. I can’t swear to these numbers, but I have one kid in college and another starting at GT next year so I’ve followed this stuff:
GT 25/75% SAT is 1390/1550
Bama is 1060/1280
So Bama gets mileage from football. Kids with 1450-1500ish scores are already not necessarily getting in GT. Another way to think about it - how many folks with 1550 SATs pick a college based on football?
My best argument for football is positive impact on student life, but it’s tougher sell in upper echelons. Top students pursue Stanford/Duke/UVA/UCB etc. with whatever crap football.
All true.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Admission data just released on Instagram, 50,500 applicants, 11.7% increase, with football in disarray. Top states outside Georgia are California, Florida, TX, NY, New Jersey. I’ll stop now unless something more directly relevant to football comes along…I’m a fountain of info monitoring my kid somehow getting in but don’t mean to drive folks crazy:)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
From article:

From the second Williams entered the portal, USC became one of the frontrunners to land him. Former Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley, who gave the freshman quarterback a starting job in Norman, is now the leader of the Trojans’ program in Southern California.

Newly-hired LSU head coach Brian Kelly and the Tigers are also reportedly involved in a “bidding war” for the future Heisman favorite.

I don’t think GT can compete in bidding wars. I really wish CFB wasn’t here, but it is.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
From article:

From the second Williams entered the portal, USC became one of the frontrunners to land him. Former Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley, who gave the freshman quarterback a starting job in Norman, is now the leader of the Trojans’ program in Southern California.

Newly-hired LSU head coach Brian Kelly and the Tigers are also reportedly involved in a “bidding war” for the future Heisman favorite.

I don’t think GT can compete in bidding wars. I really wish CFB wasn’t here, but it is.
Bobby Ross once complained about the amount of influence an 18 yr old could have on your coaching staff and your job. Wonder what he thinks now about college football?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a great article on the organizations being created due to the NIL.
The only ROI they are looking at is how much confetti it can produce.

It's interesting that some states, like AL, are already rescinding their NIL laws because they are more restrictive than what many are doing and they don't want AL and Auburn to be at a disadvantage.

What is going on is not really in the spirit of what the NIL was intended to be, it is just simply pay for play.

The prospects are not being asked to market a product or anything else in many cases.

It only took about 7 months for it to completely outstrip what most where thinking.

The schools with the biggest fanbases will have the largest NIL support and the financial differences between the schools are simply going to increase.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We will see what happens when 19-year-old QB with a HS diploma is making $3 million a year and his position coach is 35 years old and is sitting at $400,000 a year after 12 years in the trenches and facing unemployment if the 19-year-old turns out to be a bust as so many are.
Well, what would happen? It's no different than a coach making less than his QB in the pros. Many of the players make more than the coach.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand why this is Swofford's fault. I assume our contract is smaller because we have fewer viewers. It's not like he could just make any contract he wanted.
It’s more so the length of the detail that falls on Swofford. The money was always going to be less than the Big 10 and SEC but it shouldn’t be 50-60% less for the ACC. It seems he nor anyone with the ACC apparently realized what everyone else understood regarding inflation or the value of live sports. Without the ability to hit the open market till 2034, the ACC might (likely will) fall to group of 5 status as far as TV revenues.