Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

Isn’t there already an imbalance as to who dominates college football?

There have been essentially 4 teams in the last decade that are in the playoff every year. Sprinkle in a random SEC team having a great year.

If that’s not an imbalance, I don’t know what is.

My guess is Saban knows this hurts his team more than some others. Maybe not hurt, but doesn’t benefit his as much as others. See Texas A&M

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

There have been essentially 4 teams in the last decade that are in the playoff every year. Sprinkle in a random SEC team having a great year.

My guess is Saban knows this hurts his team more than some others. Maybe not hurt, but doesn’t benefit his as much as others. See Texas A&M
Ncaa must step in.
Pro s would have best teams in major markets if there was no draft and salary cap.

1000 s of oil well drilled near TAM. 20% royalty is money right out of ground into aggie fans pockets. The boom ends and drilling stops. Then new technology shows up and its boom time again. Imagine oil wells around athens

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow

He got rid of a bunch of players that never sniffed the field, freeing up several scholarships, and he added one of the best running backs in the country. Tell me again how the transfer portal hurts Alabama?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
GT is heading straight towards a Tulane-esque existence in the football world. We don’t have the interested Alumni nor the sidewalk fans needed and therefore don’t have the money to hang with the big boys, or the medium one’s either. Getting out of the SEC was an epically bad decision, and not getting into the BIG is looking pretty stupid as well. We are royally and properly screwed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've been trying to find the kindest way to say this, but the short answer is no, we cannot be competitive in the NIL market. I said when this was announced that it would hurt us, and it will. $EC teams and their boosters are setting up shell companies and investing tens of millions of dollars to lure recruits. We signed a deal with TiVo for $404 a player. That's like having Blackberry sponsor you...

Unless an outside party (or the government) steps in to restore parity to the college football landscape, or a conglomeration of mega donors gets GT into the game, there is little to no hope for GT to ever be consistently competitive with the larger (richer) schools on our schedule again.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
GT is heading straight towards a Tulane-esque existence in the football world. We don’t have the interested Alumni nor the sidewalk fans needed and therefore don’t have the money to hang with the big boys, or the medium one’s either. Getting out of the SEC was an epically bad decision, and not getting into the BIG is looking pretty stupid as well. We are royally and properly screwed.
I don’t get why people keep saying not getting in the B1G was a mistake. It clearly wasn’t. People b*tch about our schedule being too hard now. Imagine playing Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State every year, with crossover games against Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska. On top of playing Georgia every year. None of the teams who joined the B1G in their expansion have done anything of relevance. Sure they have more money now, but so do their opponents. And their opponents have even more money. The B1G argument makes no sense. If we can’t compete with Pitt, UNC, and UVA on the money scene, how in the world would we be able to do it in the B1G? That doesn’t even mention the severe disadvantage we’d have playing games in the north in October and November. There are weeks in the college football year where it’s snowing in Michigan and 60 degrees in Atlanta. Good luck playing in that when you’re not used to it.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
We're a research school, bottom line. Football will never return to Tech at an elite level unless The Hill decides that they want that to happen along with the boosters. And the worst part is that Tech is currently pumping out grads that are used to a ****ty football team. Long gone are the days of us actually competing with UGA, etc at a real level and not just some "hey we beat them for once" deal. Tech is generally apathetic towards football, and I don't see that changing. Get ready for another UGA natty before we even sniff the playoff in any fashion...because that is closer to reality than we would like to admit.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get why people keep saying not getting in the B1G was a mistake. It clearly wasn’t. People b*tch about our schedule being too hard now. Imagine playing Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State every year, with crossover games against Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska. On top of playing Georgia every year. None of the teams who joined the B1G in their expansion have done anything of relevance. Sure they have more money now, but so do their opponents. And their opponents have even more money. The B1G argument makes no sense. If we can’t compete with Pitt, UNC, and UVA on the money scene, how in the world would we be able to do it in the B1G? That doesn’t even mention the severe disadvantage we’d have playing games in the north in October and November. There are weeks in the college football year where it’s snowing in Michigan and 60 degrees in Atlanta. Good luck playing in that when you’re not used to it.
You make good points......but we would have a lot more money to pay off our crushing debts. We would be on national tv more instead of freaking Bally Sports network, and we would almost certainly increase revenue from ticket sales at Bobby Dodd. Whether or not we could ever improve our situation record-wise is impossible to say, it would take time to catch up but for sure we would have more money for better coaches across the board, recruiting staff and analysts that we have no shot at currently being able to pay for.

The argument is academic anyway, that ship has sailed away and the ACC is a hot swamp of fb garbage that we have sunk down into.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You make good points......but we would have a lot more money to pay off our crushing debts. We would be on national tv more instead of freaking Bally Sports network, and we would almost certainly increase revenue from ticket sales at Bobby Dodd. Whether or not we could ever improve our situation record-wise is impossible to say, it would take time to catch up but for sure we would have more money for better coaches across the board, recruiting staff and analysts that we have no shot at currently being able to pay for.

The argument is academic anyway, that ship has sailed away and the ACC is a hot swamp of fb garbage that we have sunk down into.
Yeah, joining the B1G was a losing proposition except for making a lot more money, having better home attendance and being on national TV more often. Can’t imagine why anyone thought that was a good idea.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, joining the B1G was a losing proposition except for making a lot more money, having better home attendance and being on national TV more often. Can’t imagine why anyone thought that was a good idea.
Can’t imagine a place like Nebraska, who fills their 80k seat stadium every weekend for the past 30 years and was the top program in the country just 25 years ago not succeeding in a new conference. Can’t imagine how making a little bit more money, but then competing against teams with a lot more money wouldn’t be a good idea. Are y’all morons? Sure Tech’s money pool would grow, but we’d still be light years behind our actual new competition. Sure we’d have more money than our old ACC rivals, but we wouldn’t be playing them anymore. We’d be playing teams who’ve been turning over an even higher profit for countless years prior. Instead of going 2-6 in the ACC we’d be 1-8 in the B1G

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Can’t imagine a place like Nebraska, who fills their 80k seat stadium every weekend for the past 30 years and was the top program in the country just 25 years ago not succeeding in a new conference. Can’t imagine how making a little bit more money, but then competing against teams with a lot more money wouldn’t be a good idea. Are y’all morons? Sure Tech’s money pool would grow, but we’d still be light years behind our actual new competition. Sure we’d have more money than our old ACC rivals, but we wouldn’t be playing them anymore. We’d be playing teams who’ve been turning over an even higher profit for countless years prior. Instead of going 2-6 in the ACC we’d be 1-8 in the B1G
Talent acquisition might be easier for us than our would be opponents in the B1G. Nebraska sucks because it’s not much talent in the Midwest and Nebraska can no longer pull from Texas as easily given it faces no Texas teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Iron sharpens iron.

Our record might still be as bad vs the B1G as it was vs the ACC but I bet our level of play would improve and we would beat NIL and Citadel. Seeing Bobby Dodd filled would be nice.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Iron sharpens iron.

Our record might still be as bad vs the B1G as it was vs the ACC but I bet our level of play would improve and we would beat NIL and Citadel. Seeing Bobby Dodd filled would be nice.
Oh goody, BDS filled with opposing teams’ fans and wins against non P5 opponents. How exciting!

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been trying to find the kindest way to say this, but the short answer is no, we cannot be competitive in the NIL market. I said when this was announced that it would hurt us, and it will. $EC teams and their boosters are setting up shell companies and investing tens of millions of dollars to lure recruits. We signed a deal with TiVo for $404 a player. That's like having Blackberry sponsor you...

Unless an outside party (or the government) steps in to restore parity to the college football landscape, or a conglomeration of mega donors gets GT into the game, there is little to no hope for GT to ever be consistently competitive with the larger (richer) schools on our schedule again.
I am not sure if it is an issue of 'cannot' or 'will not' but the result is the same. We are not going to be competitive in the new era. We don't have the alumni willing to put up the money to play the NIL game, we don't have the majors to attract a wide selection of elite HS athletes, we aren't setting up the shell 501c3 and 501c4 corporations needed to fund the program at elite levels, we have 7,802 international students on campus that don't give a crap about American football (see collegefactual.com) , we have a fan base that is scattered all over the country and isn't concentrated in one Geography (ie. UGA), we are in the heart of a region where 4* and 5* players have too many options to count, we are in a big city filled with sports and entertainment options, and we have a coach and an athletic director that aren't creative enough to do anything other than go head-to-head with the major football factories. It is a sad time to be a Tech fan.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
We just need to look at the TOP 25 budgets in College football, see where we rank according to that. We need to change our budget or our expectations.
Does anyone have links to where I can find this info. Donation/funding/expense rankings for FBS schools? I’d like to see a legit, complete list of all schools.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We just need to look at the TOP 25 budgets in College football, see where we rank according to that. We need to change our budget or our expectations.

As of the 2019-2020 season, as compiled per sportico, we were 40th in public school football spending. I will link the site, but the spreadsheet doesn't paste well. I exported the data and compiled the top 100 of 107 listed. Note that the data is pulled from public sources so private schools like Notre Dame, Stanford, and Miami, among others, are not listed. Those three programs usually spend well more than us, so I don't think we have suddenly passed them. Also, as recently as 2017, the only school in the ACC that spent less on football than us was Wake Forest. I will post the link to that source as well.

As always, it's not just the ranking, but the delta between GT and the schools at the top that's problematic. We are falling furter and further behind...

Attachments

• School Spend.jpg
    School Spend.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 21