Can we stay competitive in the NIL era?

mkemkay

Georgia Tech Fan
Texas just announced a new deal for their offensive linemen that takes each player to $150k. They have a multi-million dollar fund that will clearly grow from there. No way Alabama or Ohio State falls behind.

I'm glad we were able to get the TiVo deal for our players, but I don't see a fund or large corporate contract coming to save us (sorry, my nest egg can't quite cover a fund for the team).

So... what happens next? Given the portal now allows immediate eligibility, do we see a seismic shift in 2 years or less? Even if you find a diamond in the rough, they will likely look to transfer if they shine.

Am I doom and gloom or do others see it trending this way?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Great question and I will be curious as to what others say. I have never been a huge NFL guy but I might move there in the long run where there are no pretenses about "amateur vs. pro" and the league is actively involved in keeping things relatively level for the franchises. I guess a worst case scenario is where the top 30 or so teams split and GT finds itself in a league with Vandy, Rice, Duke, Northwestern, Syracuse, BC etc. that might actually be fun but it's hard selling CBA basketball or minor league baseball.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess the good news is there’s only a handful of teams that really could keep up with this in college football. In the ACC, probably just FSU, Clemson.. Miami would love to try. Even those 3 are way behind the big guys like Texas, Texas A&M, Bama, etc.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
NIL has turned college football into pro football with no salary caps. It also threatens academic donations at some schools, where people will contribute to paying football players instead of funding academic scholarships.

It's just BAD.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it but with the NIL and portal the only way we will be competitive is if D1 divides into 2 groups. 1 those who have money and only care about football and those schools that want student athletes get an education, Kind of sad college football is not college football it's a big business.

Jmonty71

Banned
I foresee this becoming a HUGE issue. Practically this now makes the NCAA nothing but a 3 year audition for the NFL. The difference is now, there will be much larger gaps between talent. Meaning the good teams will be better and the not so good teams, will get worse... It will make recruiting very tough for a lot of coaches. Let's put it this way... GT offers a full ride and great education, while UGA offers a full ride, 100K a year in NIL and a somewhat ok education... If you are a kid with not so well off parents, which one do you pick??? GT does not have the fan base, donors nor attendance rates to compete. I think ultimately people should call it for what it is... Some schools and conferences will be basically a minor league system for the NFL. These schools should lose all accreditations, because no longer care about education... I know many don't agree with me and that's fine..

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Took awhile.

He did have a big turn in year 3. I am willing that in addition to being a better game day coach than CGC that their SOS was way below GT's SOS this year. Problem is GT's schedule isn't going to let up next year so CGC is toast. Hopefully next guy can keep a lot of guys out of the portal and build something with ingredients left behind.

2014Wake Forest3–91–7T–6th (Atlantic)
2015Wake Forest3–91–76th (Atlantic)
2016Wake Forest7–63–5T–4th (Atlantic)W Military
2017Wake Forest8–54–4T–3rd (Atlantic)W Belk
2018Wake Forest7–63–5T–5th (Atlantic)W Birmingham
2019Wake Forest8–54–4T–3rd (Atlantic)L Pinstripe
2020Wake Forest4–53–410thL Duke's Mayo
2021Wake Forest10–37–11st (Atlantic)Gator

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the big money donors should start funding NIL deals instead of paying coaches salaries and monster buyouts. Flip the model to where we have coaches that are light on experience but cheaper, and funnel money to get better players — while also avoiding getting stuck under huge buyouts that cripple the program.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

We are top 20 and ranked ahead of uga in something. This does include all buyouts, which means any money paid to a person not coaching. That's why CPJ is listed on there even though he retired. Our books should be cleared of dead money (atleast for another year). This more than NIL or lack of staff or poor facilities hurt us.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Took awhile.

He did have a big turn in year 3. I am willing that in addition to being a better game day coach than CGC that their SOS was way below GT's SOS this year. Problem is GT's schedule isn't going to let up next year so CGC is toast. Hopefully next guy can keep a lot of guys out of the portal and build something with ingredients left behind.

2014Wake Forest3–91–7T–6th (Atlantic)
2015Wake Forest3–91–76th (Atlantic)
2016Wake Forest7–63–5T–4th (Atlantic)W Military
2017Wake Forest8–54–4T–3rd (Atlantic)W Belk
2018Wake Forest7–63–5T–5th (Atlantic)W Birmingham
2019Wake Forest8–54–4T–3rd (Atlantic)L Pinstripe
2020Wake Forest4–53–410thL Duke's Mayo
2021Wake Forest10–37–11st (Atlantic)Gator
Year-in and year-out, no one in the ACC has a tougher OOC schedule than Tech. It would be very unusual for us to be bowl eligible with a less than .500 conference record.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If someone can find a buyer for a local brewery willing to pony up say...$10B...then I can personally commit to funding a nice $150k/player deal. Otherwise, would $150 be enough? :)
Finding out you are a local brewer makes me feel like we should be better friends ;)🍻. I keep trying to convince my wife to let me open ours (mine). She won't sign off. Something about kids, college, food ..... I don't understand.