Can we put at least one myth to rest?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How about we all just agree that if our line blocks the hell out of your line....we win. And if our line doesn't, we lose. And, I kinda think that's he way it is for just about every scheme, and every team (exception is if you are terrible on TO's)

Deleted member 2897

How about we all just agree that if our line blocks the hell out of your line....we win. And if our line doesn't, we lose. And, I kinda think that's he way it is for just about every scheme, and every team (exception is if you are terrible on TO's)

I get where you're going with that...kind of a parody of the "Well we're the best team in the country when we outscore our opponent." But the thing is we beat lots of teams when we don't 'block the hell out of them'. We had over 75 missed assignments against Boston College. I remember that because it stuck in my mind for some reason.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
See we can't agree on anything :)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
"Teams that face the option regularly have figured out how to stop it."

No single defensive coordinator has faced the GT option more than Bud Foster, who is generally regarded among the top DCs in the nation.

Over the last three games against GT: 1035 total rushing yards (5.4 a carry), 35.7 points per game

Highlighted by Thursday's game, Foster knew exactly what GT was going to do and had seen it 10 prior times.

At the end of the day, it's like every other offense -- execution, turnovers and talent dictate the outcome, not the scheme. (Van Gorder did a lot better against it with ND talent than Louisville talent.)

The beauty of what we saw on Thursday is that when it's working and you do get a defensive stop or two, the opposing team is more likely to press and make a mistake since they know there won't be a ton of possessions.

Let's get something straight. Who the coordinator is or who the team is, does not matter nearly as much as who the defensive tackles, linebackers and safeties are. If Bud had Luther Maddy and Kam Chancellor the other night he would have been much better off but that bunch he had would not have stopped Tech's second string. Sure he knew what was coming, just like I knew what was coming when Hurricane Matthew came roaring out of the Gulf last month but there was nothing I could do to stop the trees coming down in my yard. Coach Foster did not look nearly as upset as I have seen him in the past possibly because he knew that there were no tricks in his bag that would slow down that quarterback sweep and the dive.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
My original point was the the option offense is pretty much the same as any other offense -- there's no magic "now that I've seen it, I know how to stop it" button as some detractors believe. If there were, Bud Foster would have the upper hand every time. Most games come down to execution, turnovers, talent no matter the system.

Fair to argue the merits of various offensive philosophies but the "once they've seen it, it won't be successful" argument doesn't carry water. If a defense prepares properly and has the talent to execute the gameplan, they may stop it, but that applies to EVERY offense.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The best part of that game was Saban getting all mad at his post-game presser and saying, "DID YOU SEE THAT? THEY WENT THROUGH US LIKE XXXX THROUGH A TIN HORN."
There's a perhaps specious story about the AD coming to Saban early in his term at Bammer and telling him he had scheduled GSU. "Fine," Nick said, then ordered some game film on them. He watched it and went to the AD: "Cancel that game against Southern. Do it now."

I think they played that one game later largely because they couldn't get anyone else to play them on a date that worked. I'm pretty sure that Satan was not happy when he heard the news.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My original point was the the option offense is pretty much the same as any other offense -- there's no magic "now that I've seen it, I know how to stop it" button as some detractors believe. If there were, Bud Foster would have the upper hand every time. Most games come down to execution, turnovers, talent no matter the system.

Fair to argue the merits of various offensive philosophies but the "once they've seen it, it won't be successful" argument doesn't carry water. If a defense prepares properly and has the talent to execute the gameplan, they may stop it, but that applies to EVERY offense.
No one - no one said , no even some said there is a magic button .

Yes and no kidding " if a defense prepares properly, has talent the talent to execute"

It's called they have x dollars, y talent, z time to prepare for 12 games . Spend it how u wish - the calculus - s als there is a point of diminishing returns on each . Spend 90 % on others teams and 10% on gt and we can surely beat u year one ="see cross acc games. But here in year 10 the coaching staffs have seen us AND TRADED INFO in us. We are getting more complicated blocking calls to overcome this - it's an arms race.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
My original point was the the option offense is pretty much the same as any other offense

This is the part I disagree with. Lots of people, including myself, feel it is different and it does give us an advantage since we can use it's uniqueness to punch above our weightclass. If a bunch of other team's ran it I would agree with the statement as well. It's like when the spread was first coming around in a big way. If you see it once a year you aren't going to be as sharp at defending it. Now every other team runs a spread or spread concepts so the ability to catch teams off guard is gone.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get where you're going with that...kind of a parody of the "Well we're the best team in the country when we outscore our opponent." But the thing is we beat lots of teams when we don't 'block the hell out of them'. We had over 75 missed assignments against Boston College. I remember that because it stuck in my mind for some reason.

You're talking about 2016 in Eire, right? That's because BC only scored 14 points. We got 17.

Deleted member 2897

You're talking about 2016 in Eire, right? That's because BC only scored 14 points. We got 17.

See - we’re the best team in the country when we outscore our opponents. Nobody could ever beat us scoring less. Unstoppable.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I agree with that, but the thing is that it goes double for us. Other teams have things they can try to get around a sub-par offensive line, but the TO is absolutely, positively, 100% dependent on keeping the opposition out of the backfield.

Keep them out of our backfield and they have no answer. Let them into our backfield and we have no answer. Don't get me wrong, I like the TO. But it is a dead certainty that we have to keep them out of our backfield or it will cough and sputter. Period.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here is a picture of shamire going one way and tqm and crew going another.

Need an oc to get this straight
. Or
maybe after 10 years w same ol coach?? .

Wouldn't have mattered on this play -- 3 R Smith is all world.

View attachment 4377

You are not kidding. That guy, R. Smith, just might be the best UGA linebacker in a generation and that is saying a lot because they have had some really good ones come through.