Can Jorgenson run the show?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I sure hope so. I hope he and Tadric start from day 1. Let them grow together, big minutes for both. Im not real confident in what GT is going to do this year but if we get these guys some experience and we can put together a nice haul for 2015 we could have a nice season.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The bigger question is do we have a show for him to run? Unless we establish some kind of offensive plays I don't think it'll matter who we have as point.

^This.

I couldn't agree more. However, I am very confident that TJ is the guy to be our floor general and play maker.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Travis, by all accounts, has been working hard to get ready.

Between he & Tadric, they'll have the driving ability to take it in for layups or drop passes in to the post. That said, I'm not so sure I'd look for us to be setting up too many scoring opportunities in the post beyond a few plays for Sampson. I don't know any of our post players have a refined ability to capitalize on getting the ball down low, the way Miller & Holsey did.

This isn't a new theory, but I tend to also wonder if Trae Golden being a primary scorer, along with primary PG stunted MGH's offense at times and didn't help Bolden's confidence. Thankful for Trae's contributions, but the return of Travis as a pass-first PG and what everyone expects as a move to the bench for Bolden may alleviate some of the mental pressure on him to perform. MGH's numbers will likely/hopefully go up based on sheer numbers, more open looks, and hopefully a dedicated effort to finish strong at the hoop. He can certainly get there and he's certainly strong enough, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw he needed to finish with more authority, rather than getting layups & floaters blocked.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The bigger question is do we have a show for him to run? Unless we establish some kind of offensive plays I don't think it'll matter who we have as point.

great line-- if Coach can put together a real "team" of too -youngs,too news and never-wases,then he should be coach of yr.TJ is a player but can't carry a team.Too many questions and not enuff answers.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Offensive plays? Is this the basketball counterpart to people who complain about play calling in football?

However, I agree with your point.

We don't have any shooters. No offensive plays will offset that weakness. The 2 position will be the biggest weakness on this team. You have to have 3 point shooters, and we don't have any. Without shooters, the other team just packs it in, and no PG or offensive plays will overcome the defense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Do we have an offensive system?
Even with no shooters I still didn't see any rhyme or reason to the offense .

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yes we have an offense.

Work the ball around the perimeter, bring the big to the top of the key let him handle it, almost turn it over, hand it back to the PG after there was no movement, Get it back to the wing, who will pass up the open look, then take a floater in the lane or turn it over on the entry pass.

Its your basic bad coach offense.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This will comfort no one, but we have 3 players that should be good shooters... Stephens, Bolden (I know, I know, let's not rehash last year's results), and Jorgenson. I also believe that MGH & Tadric can shoot when neecssary, but they're strength (I know, I know, let's not rehash last year's results or remind me that Tadric is unproven at college level) is scoring at the rim. Oddly enough, on the occasions that Corey actually took shots for himself, he took some 3s and made them.

Do we have enough pure shooters? No, probably not.

Does the offensive flow need to improve? YES!

Can both be improved and do I expect that to be the case? Yes.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This will comfort no one, but we have 3 players that should be good shooters... Stephens, Bolden (I know, I know, let's not rehash last year's results), and Jorgenson. I also believe that MGH & Tadric can shoot when neecssary, but they're strength (I know, I know, let's not rehash last year's results or remind me that Tadric is unproven at college level) is scoring at the rim. Oddly enough, on the occasions that Corey actually took shots for himself, he took some 3s and made them.

Do we have enough pure shooters? No, probably not.

Does the offensive flow need to improve? YES!

Can both be improved and do I expect that to be the case? Yes.
For curiosity why would you think ,the Off will be better? We have a BUNCH of new guys trying to play together and exactly ONE who is a proven ACC scorer-MGH.I'm sorry but the best I see is ANOTHER very controlled/slow Off that depends on the DEF to keep score low and then "somehow" we conjure up enough points from a hothand or Off rebs to win.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I'm not sure the overall offense will be better, I personally believe our players have been working hard to improve their shooting. I think it's fair for me to expect that.

I also think that having Travis as the primary PG and making decisions will improve the flow, as opposed to Heyward doing an admirable job to not turn the ball over and Trae Golden being our primary scorer at PG. I think it's fair for me to expect that.

I personally believe that aspects of the offense will improve. Will we be able to run more set plays that exploit a given team, I hope so, but don't know. Will we be able to spark easier transition baskets, I hope so, but don't know.

I also agree with your point that we'll be looking to play heavyhanded defense to keep the score low, where 60-65pts/game keeps us competitive and wins some. That said, just because we're scoring 60-65 points, doesn't mean we can't be doing it in a more efficient manner that limits opptys for the opponent.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
For curiosity why would you think ,the Off will be better? We have a BUNCH of new guys trying to play together and exactly ONE who is a proven ACC scorer-MGH.I'm sorry but the best I see is ANOTHER very controlled/slow Off that depends on the DEF to keep score low and then "somehow" we conjure up enough points from a hothand or Off rebs to win.
It can't be worse.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I really like that Heyward has lost some weight and has put in a lot of hard work in the off-season. Hopefully that will translate over when the season starts. He does seem more confident from the article and is helping to build Jorgenson's confident with his knee rehab.

Thanks for posting.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I really like that Heyward has lost some weight and has put in a lot of hard work in the off-season. Hopefully that will translate over when the season starts. He does seem more confident from the article and is helping to build Jorgenson's confident with his knee rehab.

Thanks for posting.
I'm just hoping he gets more confidence. He was so hesitant in everything he did on offense last year including passing. That's great about his weight.