Can DC Thacker adopt Army’s “position-less defense?”

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
If this becomes the trend then it would seem like the answer is to implement a power run game and go straight at the defense on every play...basically do the opposite of what everyone else does.
I was thinking the same. An OL like Minnesota's would feast.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Is that the philosophy we're going to try for? I know CGC has talked about press man coverage and working directly with the corners to make that work. It doesn't by any means preclude this philosophy. I do really like creating confusion especially in pre-snap reads against college offenses. Not a lot of personnel to prepare for it and even if you are able to diagnose it, you've then gotta teach it to the players who all have to be on the same page with it.

Personally I think a zone blocking scheme works better than power here. If the OL are blocking an area and the RB doesn't have a designated hole, there's not an imperative to diagnose who's coming at you. For reference, Army held AFA to 14 and Navy to 10 this year. Clearly the option isn't kryptonite to it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wouldn't that basically be the defensive triple-option? Folks would kills us on the defensive recruiting trail.

"You gon' play position-less in the NFL?"

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't that basically be the defensive triple-option? Folks would kills us on the defensive recruiting trail.

"You gon' play position-less in the NFL?"

Thanks for reining us in, get-bak coach.
fireball4.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Houston Texans play a version of this.
They moved D Clonney all around (lb, de, dt, stand up dt drop in coverage, move watts around to seal link, Blitz often and from all over. Play tight cb coverage.

Key is the other teams qb cant count on more than 2.5 se onds

Great qb still give them trouble .

On Saturday verses colts as second game.

I do think we need to do something. Our dl is very young and inexperienced. We have a jr nt , a sr dt, 3 soph, and 7 freshmen. Got to have help - which to me means we will play 1 lb , 2 cb, and 4 safeties. The lb could be out in passing situations. Leaving the dl to get pressure w 4 is a stretch

GT_EE78

Banned
Seems to me our new Defensive Coordinator Andrew Thacker should be young enough, aggressive enough, and open enough to implement Army DC Jay Bateman’s innovative “position-less defensive system.”
Thought that “position-less” thing was for basketball, not so sure how them 300 lb safeties are gonna work out , but if ya give em a runnin start on a blitz .....

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I shuddered when I saw that hire. (Not Mack Brown, but Bateman.) Without CPJ's offense, we could be in for an UGLY few years against uNC.
Nothing against Bateman but don’t forget they gave up 34 to Duke and 30 to Miami OH. In the OU game the biggest factor was the Army offense. They are clock to a ridiculous level. OU has 40 plays total to Army’s 85+. We’ll see what he can do with anUNC team that has been worse than us on defense for years.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I shuddered when I saw that hire. (Not Mack Brown, but Bateman.) Without CPJ's offense, we could be in for an UGLY few years against uNC.
LOL, UNC is coming off a 1 win season in conference. Let's give our own coach a shot before we crown them.