Can a QB practice the TO during the off season?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was just reading Ken's statement that the TO cannot be practiced in the off season.

What can our QB's do in the offseason to get better at the option game?
  • Snaps
  • Meshes
  • Footwork
  • Film
  • ???

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think they could work on all the above to some extent. It's hard without a defense because it's not just to know how to pitch the ball, hand off the ball, key is "option". You have to read the defense to know which option to use. Mesh is simple in concept but very hard when a defense is pushing your line back, ,hitting different gaps, and stuff like that.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
  • Could you not use a DE and LB stand in to take turns picking each of the three players?
  • Could GT not develop film flash cards of defenses with a play call to help the QB identify checks? First slide is play call with the second card the defense.
  • Xbox full body motion would be great for a TO training game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Of course u can practice this in the offseason. One of our drills is to put a DE and a few cones and a OLB and both do different things and the qb and backs have to mesh and pitch off it. Clearly this isnt the same as live 11 but jeez of course you can rep the timing etc

Its no different than pass skells or anything else.

I dont know why everyone treats this offense like a freaking mystery and red headed child in the media. It is one of the most simple concepts in football that is one of hardest to master. But its not that hard to figure out. Its hard to play live against.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Of course u can practice this in the offseason. One of our drills is to put a DE and a few cones and a OLB and both do different things and the qb and backs have to mesh and pitch off it. Clearly this isnt the same as live 11 but jeez of course you can rep the timing etc

Its no different than pass skells or anything else.

I dont know why everyone treats this offense like a freaking mystery and red headed child in the media. It is one of the most simple concepts in football that is one of hardest to master. But its not that hard to figure out. Its hard to play live against.
You're asking them to actually think for themselves and not parrot the same, tired narrative? Shame on you 33.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Seeing how Paul Johnson has been doing this for 123 years, I'm sure he has some kind of way for them to practice it in the off season...at least I hope so.