Can a GT QB win the Heisman ??

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think I see what you're saying, and you may have a point, but I would say it differently. I just don't see the issue being a CPJ issue, as if his play-calling was holding back our QBs. I think if a QB comes in who can throw the ball reliably enough then we'll throw it more.

So, I think I would frame your opinion, if I understand it correctly, as a QB who can run our base offense and capitalize on more of our passing concepts would be able to win the Heisman.

I agree with this, but I don't think play-calling is holding back a QB from consideration. For example, if our offense starts destroying really good D's like VPI, CU, and FSU by just running a mixture of our various option attacks and the QB gets 1200 yards rushing but is also distributing carries to A-Backs and B-backs with masterful reads, I think he'd get real consideration.

Nah the media not going for a QB that can't throw anymore those days are done. The QB is gonna have to provide some good to great passing stats. The last 4 Heisman winners passing stats were well over 3000 yards they not going back you could be Marcus Allen back there.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Nah the media not going for a QB that can't throw anymore those days are done. The QB is gonna have to provide some good to great passing stats. The last 4 Heisman winners passing stats were well over 3000 yards they not going back you could be Marcus Allen back there.

Cam was at 2,850.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Cam was at 2,850.

Well I'll shut up then I stand corrected Jaylend Ratliffe Heisman 2017
I honestly think he could for Tech ..
  • Cam Newton in 13 games put up 28 passing TDs, 20 rushing TDs and 1 receiving TD for a total of 49 touchdowns
  • Tim Tebow in 12 games put up 32 passing TDs, 23 rushing TDs for a total of 55 touchdowns
  • Newton: 1409 total yards on the ground or 108.4 yards/game
  • Tim Tebow: 895 total yards on the ground or 68.8 yards/game
  • Cam Newton: 2589 total passing yards or 199.2 yards/game
  • Tim Tebow: 3286 total passing yards or 252.8 yards/game
Total Yards
Cam Newton: 307.5 yards/game
Tim Tebow: 321.6 yards/game

Cam's numbers are definitely doable in this offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Fair enough. We disagree (I know, first time for everything), but I'm not going to the mat on this one. You may be right about how the media thinks, but I just look at it differently. Like I said, you could be right, but here's how I look at it, fwiw:

I think they're typically picking the most dynamic, valuable offensive player from among the most successful teams. Big games in big games means a lot. Johnny Football had much better passing stats in 2013 than 2012, but he beat the nation's best defense with phenomenal play in 2012. He also ran for 21 TDs in 2012 and only 9 in 2013, running 7.1 ypc in 2012 but only 5.3 ypc in 2013. He wasn't as dynamic, and A&M didn't have as successful a season overall even though their offense was still very good.

Imo, to be considered for the Heisman, I think your team has to win at least 10 games against decent opposition, and you have to win a big one against a legitimate D. In 2009, Kellen Moore didn't get invited to the ceremonies even though he had a statistically great year for the 14-0 BS Broncos. They ultimately beat one of the best D's in the country, TCU, in the Fiesta but that was after the Heisman voting. GT has to face a perennially great D from VPI every year, and our schedule with CU every year and U[sic]Ga every year is respectable enough that if we win 11 games, we'll pass that hurdle.

If we're winning those games while averaging 40 pts a game with a QB that's got 1200 rushing yards and 1500 passing yards, I reckon he'd get consideration. Imagine a QB like Justin Thomas burning long TD runs with his speed. I can't imagine that he'd get ignored because he wasn't throwing it enough. Again, that's just my opinion.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Heisman is a BS award anyways. I'll take a hard-working qb that makes good reads and marches down the field if it means we win.

Lost respect for Heisman when CJ didn't get it. What a joke!

He was the 2nd WR in Heisman votes that year...look at these stats.

9Dwayne Jarrett*Southern California JR WR 70 Rec, 1015 Yds, 14.5 Avg, 12 TD
10Calvin Johnson*Georgia Tech JR WR 76 Rec, 1202 Yds, 15.8 Avg, 15 TD

Um, how was CJ second? wow.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Fair enough. We disagree (I know, first time for everything), but I'm not going to the mat on this one. You may be right about how the media thinks, but I just look at it differently. Like I said, you could be right, but here's how I look at it, fwiw:

I think they're typically picking the most dynamic, valuable offensive player from among the most successful teams. Big games in big games means a lot. Johnny Football had much better passing stats in 2013 than 2012, but he beat the nation's best defense with phenomenal play in 2012. He also ran for 21 TDs in 2012 and only 9 in 2013, running 7.1 ypc in 2012 but only 5.3 ypc in 2013. He wasn't as dynamic, and A&M didn't have as successful a season overall even though their offense was still very good.

Imo, to be considered for the Heisman, I think your team has to win at least 10 games against decent opposition, and you have to win a big one against a legitimate D. In 2009, Kellen Moore didn't get invited to the ceremonies even though he had a statistically great year for the 14-0 BS Broncos. They ultimately beat one of the best D's in the country, TCU, in the Fiesta but that was after the Heisman voting. GT has to face a perennially great D from VPI every year, and our schedule with CU every year and U[sic]Ga every year is respectable enough that if we win 11 games, we'll pass that hurdle.

If we're winning those games while averaging 40 pts a game with a QB that's got 1200 rushing yards and 1500 passing yards, I reckon he'd get consideration. Imagine a QB like Justin Thomas burning long TD runs with his speed. I can't imagine that he'd get ignored because he wasn't throwing it enough. Again, that's just my opinion.
I agree those stats and over 30 TDs can get our QB the Heisman. I also think some of those rush yards need to be explosive long runs because if they're just death march yards then he'll never get considered.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can a GT QB win the Heisman in this offense? Hmmmm...I just keep thinking of how many times Lil' Joe faked the TO dive, took one step down the line, then one step back before floating a perfect touch deep ball to Dez White or Kelly Campbell after sucking the entire defense in. The key is getting a QB who can throw the deep ball with touch. We haven't had that yet. Vad was closest, but he often threw to the wrong guy or with bad mechanics. I tend to agree that in today's media the QB is going to have to chuck it some too, not just run for 150 a game while managing the option offense really well. I don't like it, necessarily, but that is the way I perceive it to be. Media votes is what it is all about. Lets say we go undefeated this season, winning every game like we did at UGAg in 2008, without passing at all, while scoring 40+ per game. Would that be enough? In my mind, it should be. But it probably wouldn't be. Tommy Frasier was a worthy winner. Would he win today? I dunno.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can a GT QB win the Heisman in this offense? Hmmmm...I just keep thinking of how many times Lil' Joe faked the TO dive, took one step down the line, then one step back before floating a perfect touch deep ball to Dez White or Kelly Campbell after sucking the entire defense in. The key is getting a QB who can throw the deep ball with touch. We haven't had that yet. Vad was closest, but he often threw to the wrong guy or with bad mechanics. I tend to agree that in today's media the QB is going to have to chuck it some too, not just run for 150 a game while managing the option offense really well. I don't like it, necessarily, but that is the way I perceive it to be. Media votes is what it is all about. Lets say we go undefeated this season, winning every game like we did at UGAg in 2008, without passing at all, while scoring 40+ per game. Would that be enough? In my mind, it should be. But it probably wouldn't be. Tommy Frasier was a worthy winner. Would he win today? I dunno.

OK, I'll play. I think one of our QBs could win the Heisman. RBs win the Heisman. If one of our QBs won, it would be on his RB skills first and passing second or third. The reason I say passing second or third is that pitching / option decisions could be second.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He would have to caption the attention and imagination of the college football world and do it in a big way. How he did that wouldn't matter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd like to see Tech finally win one of these some day. Saying all that though, I honestly have little regard for this award anymore. It does not go to the best player and hasn't for a very long time. It goes to the most hyped OFFENSIVE player.
Also, I could give a crap less if our offense makes it impossible for our QB to win the Heisman (for the record I'm not buying the premise). I just want to win championships