Can a GT QB win the Heisman ??

Yes. If we are in the top 5 to close out a season, it will definitely be with outstanding QB play. And it we get outstanding QB play, our QB will be making exciting, highlight reel plays every week. It will be sexy again. Remember, when our offense is rolling, announcers drool all over it (remember UM 08).

What have I told you about not taking your meds? Stop, already! :)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
None of those qbs ran the veer option. They all ran the zone read. Totally different and much easier to execute.

Both Auburn & Oregon run veer option out the spread.

"Cam Newton arrived on campus the next season. With a 6-6, 250-pounder at quarterback, Malzahn stuck to the base play "power", where the line blocks down, the fullback kicks out the unblocked defensive end and the running back follows a pulling guard through the hole, a play Auburn used heavily in Tre Mason's 304-yard performance against Missouri. That team also relied on the inverted veer, a play that allowed Newton to read the unblocked play-side defensive end; if the end crashes inside, Newton handed the ball to a running back on the sweep. If the end stayed outside, Newton kept it himself and take it up the middle behind the guard, a formula Marshall followed for 68 yards against Tennessee."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/options_galore_breaking_down_w.html

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
The Heisman is awarded to the best "player" in college football. Certainly passing is going to matter but it's not the only thing. Just say JT plays an injury free season and hypothetically rushes for 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns while passing for 1500 yards and another 12 to 15 touchdowns with 60% completions and <5 interceptions while leading us to 10+ wins he's definetly in consideration.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Both Auburn & Oregon run veer option out the spread.

"Cam Newton arrived on campus the next season. With a 6-6, 250-pounder at quarterback, Malzahn stuck to the base play "power", where the line blocks down, the fullback kicks out the unblocked defensive end and the running back follows a pulling guard through the hole, a play Auburn used heavily in Tre Mason's 304-yard performance against Missouri. That team also relied on the inverted veer, a play that allowed Newton to read the unblocked play-side defensive end; if the end crashes inside, Newton handed the ball to a running back on the sweep. If the end stayed outside, Newton kept it himself and take it up the middle behind the guard, a formula Marshall followed for 68 yards against Tennessee."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/options_galore_breaking_down_w.html
It's called the inverted veer, but it's not like the veer that we run. It's run out of the gun and the qb has more time and space to make the read.

It's called the inverted veer, but it's not like the veer that we run. It's run out of the gun and the qb has more time and space to make the read.

And they have exceedingly better athletes at quarterback, at running back and on the line. C'mon fellas. We run what we run to utilize our available talent. Do you really think that Gus Malzahn could come here and with the same players that Paul has go 13-1?

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
The offensive scheme can be overcome and rendered moot if you can put up ridiculous stats (and win almost all your games). We can do that. If Northern Illinois can get Jordan Lynch into Heisman consideration then we can definitely put someone in the mix. Tommy Frazier anyone?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
And they have exceedingly better athletes at quarterback, at running back and on the line. C'mon fellas. We run what we run to utilize our available talent. Do you really think that Gus Malzahn could come here and with the same players that Paul has go 13-1?

Actually yes I do. Maybe not year 1 like at Auburn but Malzahn would have great success at GT or anywhere. Remember Auburn the year before won 3 games.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
It would definitely take an amazing season for an option QB to be in the hunt for a Heisman. We very rarely have enough pass attempts in a game to throw for over 200 yds. It would require our run game to be so dominant that they stacked the box, and CPJ would have to grow a pair and make em pay for it over the middle.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Last year Tech's starting QB averaged approximately 19.03 yards per completion and that's with a QB with a 45.6% completion rate. If Tech has a QB that can complete 55-60% of his passes 250 yards/game is not unrealistic. If it to happens several things would have to fall into place (running the ball effectively, above average O line play, quality WRs, D forcing TOs/short fields) but for Tech to win 11-12 games these same things would also have to happen. If it all came together I can see a Tech QB being in serious contention for the Heisman.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
... so in a nut shell IT IS possible!

Yes I think it is possible. Probable? Not now, maybe not likely soon, but given the right combination of factors, definitely possible. We've all seen how this offense can run, expand that to every game in a season and the results will speak for themselves. After all, who in the world would have predicted a Heisman winner from TX A&M with a RS Freshman?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Here's my take ..
Can a QB in this offense win the Heisman? I say yes, but it will take CPJ opening the playbook and actually letting those run & shoot passing concepts he speaks about come to life on the field more.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's my take ..
Can a QB in this offense win the Heisman? I say yes, but it will take CPJ opening the playbook and actually letting those run & shoot passing concepts he speaks about come to life on the field more.

I think I see what you're saying, and you may have a point, but I would say it differently. I just don't see the issue being a CPJ issue, as if his play-calling was holding back our QBs. I think if a QB comes in who can throw the ball reliably enough then we'll throw it more.

So, I think I would frame your opinion, if I understand it correctly, as a QB who can run our base offense and capitalize on more of our passing concepts would be able to win the Heisman.

I agree with this, but I don't think play-calling is holding back a QB from consideration. For example, if our offense starts destroying really good D's like VPI, CU, and FSU by just running a mixture of our various option attacks and the QB gets 1200 yards rushing but is also distributing carries to A-Backs and B-backs with masterful reads, I think he'd get real consideration.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes.

People easily forget, but Nesbitt was a legit preseason Heisman candidate in 2010...then Kansas happened (yikes).

http://heismanpundit.com/2009/12/17/heismanpundit-com-watch-list-17-for-2010/

Like a few have mentioned, a large part of a player's candidacy has to do with how well the team is doing. A QB in this offense can put up big numbers and be a dominant force in games (See Vad against UNC in 2012, Tevin in early 2011, etc.). The key is to do it against marquee teams when we're playing on national TV, and for the team to be in contention for conference titles and national bowl (now playoff) spots.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Have we really fallen this far in such a short time?

No one has even mentioned (at least that I've seen) the pre-season Heisman marketing campaign of the very first QB to run this offense under CPJ at GT.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he was going to win it. But someone in our own AA thought it was a strong enough possibility to invest some time and money into. And that was after his first year running the system he wasn't brought in to run. Some of us (on other sites at that time) bought into it. And now we think that may have been our best shot?

I think it's possible because you don't have to mimic what anyone has done in the past to win it. You just have to be the most impressive (and hyped) player in that season (please don't bring up that one incident where it was a career achievement award). If a QB runs the most prolific offense in college football he will get attention and consideration regardless of whether he runs a lot or throws a lot. Even if it's only because he's the QB.

--edit: apparently @Techster and I are on the same frequency and wavelength.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
And what was Auburn's record in 2012 with those same athletes?