Helluva Engineer
Johnny Manziel
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPos GCmpAtt Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2012Texas A&MSECSOQB 13 295434 68.0 3706 8.5 8.8 26 9 155.3

RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClass PosGAttYdsAvg TD RecYdsAvg TD

*2012TexasA&MSECSO QB13201 1410 7.0 21201 14107.0 21

I was wondering if a GT QB could put up these types of numbers in our offense. Rushing most definitely but the question is passing could he get the attempts in passing to put up these types of numbers.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think 1500 is enough passing yards.
They would need at least 2500+
Honestly averaging 100 yards rushing + 250 passing should get them in the conversation
and a winning Title contender type season.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. If we are in the top 5 to close out a season, it will definitely be with outstanding QB play. And it we get outstanding QB play, our QB will be making exciting, highlight reel plays every week. It will be sexy again. Remember, when our offense is rolling, announcers drool all over it (remember UM 08).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Joe had Friedgen's offense ..
But in this one ?? To get to 250 yards on 16 attempts the pass has to yield 15.625 yards per play.
With how this offense works I think it's possible but that's a lot of yards

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Joe had Friedgen's offense ..
But in this one ?? To get to 250 yards on 16 attempts the pass has to yield 15.625 yards per play.
With how this offense works I think it's possible but that's a lot of yards

The avg per completion is very doable in this offense. Would a QB gets enough attempts? 25 attempts for 19 completions yields a 64% completion rate. Doable but you're going to have to have a lot of things go right for it to happen.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think a QB in this offense can win the Heisman. It's not a popular offense in the minds of most of the people who vote for the Heisman, so unless everyone else in contention just totally hosed everything up, I don't think you'll see a triple option QB getting serious Heisman consideration.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think a QB in this offense can win the Heisman. It's not a popular offense in the minds of most of the people who vote for the Heisman, so unless everyone else in contention just totally hosed everything up, I don't think you'll see a triple option QB getting serious Heisman consideration.

I disagree it's a numbers game. He start posting numbers and the team wins he'll be placed in the spotlight no matter the system.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Didn't QB's from Nebraska and Oklahoma win the Heisman back in the day? Depends on the team. Knock off Clemson/UM/VT/Uga/FSU and you would get a bunch of consideration.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
If we have a stout defense that holds the score down, then the offense won't put up the gaudy passing numbers to get the attention of the Heisman voters. When we get a decent lead, we go into death march mode and very little passing. IMO, passing should not be required for a QB to win the Heisman.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Certainly a QB in this offense can win a Heisman. If GT ends up being ranked in the top 5 at the end of the regular season, it will be largely because of QB play.

The QB will be a highlight reel regardless of the numbers...go 11-1 before the bowl and the GT QB will be a household name.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is where I disagree.
In the past yeah a WB like Tommy Frasier or Eric Couch could win the Heisman and not be a passer, but now with these spread offenses I think passing skill would be required for a QB to be considered a legitimate Heisman Candidate.

Cam
Johnny
and even RG3 have set the precedent ..

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't QB's from Nebraska and Oklahoma win the Heisman back in the day? Depends on the team. Knock off Clemson/UM/VT/Uga/FSU and you would get a bunch of consideration.
Eric Crouch was the only Nebraska QB to win a Heisman and he ran for 3000 yards and passed for 4000 yards in his career there. I don't think one of our QB's is going to throw for more than he runs for. And Sam Bradford was the only Oklahoma QB ever to win the Heisman and he was a pocket passer, not an option QB.

I would LOVE to be wrong, but just listening to the anti-option bias you hear from sportscasters, I don't know that an option QB could put up the numbers to get them to change their mind and seriously consider him for the Heisman.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Eric Crouch was the only Nebraska QB to win a Heisman and he ran for 3000 yards and passed for 4000 yards in his career there. I don't think one of our QB's is going to throw for more than he runs for. And Sam Bradford was the only Oklahoma QB ever to win the Heisman and he was a pocket passer, not an option QB.

I would LOVE to be wrong, but just listening to the anti-option bias you hear from sportscasters, I don't know that an option QB could put up the numbers to get them to change their mind and seriously consider him for the Heisman.

Mariota will be a Heisman candidate next year
Cam won
Tebow won
and they played in option systems recently.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

It's your lucky day. Jason White says hello.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

All of our QBs have thrown for more yards than he's run for. I'm glad you love being wrong. It explains your posting history. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Mariota will be a Heisman candidate next year
Cam won
Tebow won
and they played in option systems recently.
None of those qbs ran the veer option. They all ran the zone read. Totally different and much easier to execute.