Camp Confidential - 8/9

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll see Synjyn in short yardage situations, either under center or at Bback. I think CPJ is tired of not making those 3rd and 4th and inches.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When Synjyn was in at BBack, most of the plays were sweep plays where the ball was handed to the trailing AB and the lead AB and the BB were lead blockers. I don't remember seeing Synjyn go through a mesh
I also heard Synjyn talking afterwards, maybe to @Bruce Wayne, when he said that yesterday was his first day at BBack. He also commented that his legs were burning, especially when they ran the AB start/stop/look at the sideline play. He said holding for 10 seconds was excruciating, but by the time the season rolled around, he'd be in better shape that way. I don't think we've seen the last of SD at BBack. I don't think it'll be traditional TO with him at BBack, though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah I would rather stay with TB in these situations

Maybe, but a fresh player can be better in those situations than one who has been out there on a long drive. Byerly should be able to do better than SD when he is fresh, but maybe not after 10 plays...... Plus, it spreads the hits around especially those where you expect to go into heavy traffic.

As long as SD runs the complete TO running package, I think it's great. If the D focuses too much on him and the BB, then pitch.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The downside of Days in short yardage (vs TB) is the C-QB exchange in my opinion. Just having a different set of hands taking the snap with a different feel is a little unsettling. Whenever a new QB comes into the game I always cringe a little when that first snap happens. Personally, I doubt SD does much of this if TB is in the game already. They are both physical players. There isn't a lot to gain. If JT is in the game , it might be a different story. Plus, in a general way, I want the defense to have to respect the whole package on any short yardage play. Allowing them to key on a certain player concerns me. So, if he is going to do it, I want him to have a whole list of options mastered, not just the QB follow.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's good in theory to have the other team respect the entire playbook. But last year for 3rd and 1 to 3 yards, we ran 66 times and passed 0 (zero). Our team would probably pass out if we passed on 3rd and short. (tic) I think the odds support rushing, even when everyone knows we are going to rush - we made the first 47 of 66 times rushing. But passing is a crap shoot south of 50% (33).

I agree that there is more reason to replace JT with SD than replace TB with SD. Especially for 3rd and short when everyone knows we are going to run already ........

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
my take

the fact SD is going to be a short yardage option solidifies the fact JT is the starter IMO. In fact to disguise you can have SD be short yardage and JT move to AB and be the "fake" motion man and just do midline with the BB. You don't need SD doing this if TB was getting the reps/or even gonna be the short yardage guy himself.

Burden cross training at guard makes a TON more sense than at tackle....i posted this oddity or point a while back...perfect fit now

Chamberlain switch is odd. I mean...he had a ton of trouble in pass blocking at RT now we putting him at the blind side vs the other teams best pass rusher??? Really...not sure I am totally seeing this. Maybe the RS Frs isn't ready yet....so this is the less of 2 evils???

Noble....nickel CB? I am curious here because to me he would be a better S or backup S than the guys on 2 deep now....Now of all the CB spots, inside makes the most sense...I just woulda figured he made a splash at S. He is a bit like Jemea was in this sense i guess.

I still think our best OL kicks Braun out to LT, starts Devine or Burden at LG....(better depth there than Tackle and Braun can play tackle). But just a dumb opinion i guess.

Secondary is actually solid...just need to get consistent enough pressure.....Still concerned about both our DE's....

Scubapro

Banned
Where is Erin Joe? Hurt? Dog House? I must have missed the memo.
I don't seem to catch all the details like others on this board...I think Noble made some nice plays....Lance Austin stood out to me as did Whitehead.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Scubapro

We've reported several times on here that Joe has been hurt...if you're looking for something use the search feature in the top right corner.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It's good in theory to have the other team respect the entire playbook. But last year for 3rd and 1 to 3 yards, we ran 66 times and passed 0 (zero). Our team would probably pass out if we passed on 3rd and short. (tic) I think the odds support rushing, even when everyone knows we are going to rush - we made the first 47 of 66 times rushing. But passing is a crap shoot south of 50% (33).

I agree that there is more reason to replace JT with SD than replace TB with SD. Especially for 3rd and short when everyone knows we are going to run already ........

I don't know... Nesbitt seemed to get stronger as the game went one, made many short yardage plays at the end of the game. Byerly reminds me of him, except a better passer. Still, I like SD at QB from time to time, just hold on to the &$^! ball.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The similarity I like most in the Byerly/Nesbitt comparison is the ability to fall forward even when they get popped. I realize that's similar to saying they're both capable of making a first down in short yardage, so maybe that isn't too enlightening.

Here's the also obvious domino effect... While the extra 1-2 yards might immediately get us a first down, the ability to convert in short yardage also extends drives for at least 3 more downs (usually), wears out the opposing D (thus making those same plays easier throughout the game), and keeps our D off the field. I'm not sure which one of those benefits I like most, though the last one might be even more important this year as coaches work out the rotation on the D-Line.

With all that said I still don't know if I have a preference between the two QBs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My preference for QBs is whichever one is playing better that day......... and in this case try SD too in short yardage situations.

JN was as fierce a competitor at QB as any one I remember since Joe Hamilton. But he slowed down too later in the game. It was like a heavyweight fight, both sides wore the other down and JN was just worn down less. That's where a new fighter coming in would have a distinct advantage.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
As the game wore on, Josh was harder to bring down because he was a running back playing Qb. We have missed that sorely in my opinion. Nobody has feared getting trucked by our Qb.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
JN was as fierce a competitor at QB as any one I remember since Joe Hamilton. But he slowed down too later in the game. It was like a heavyweight fight, both sides wore the other down and JN was just worn down less. That's where a new fighter coming in would have a distinct advantage.

Yes obviously true, and Byerly is that kind of player. I would not pull him out in this situation for SD, JT maybe, like you stated earlier.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Let me be more specific. I'm fine with a 100 percent RUNNING in that given game situation. What I am referring to is variety of running plays. In other words, we can't just let the defense key on the QB follow when SD is subbing in. They will need to respect the many option variations, zone dive, and toss sweep etc. That will take a lot of practice on SD's part IMHO.