Calvin Johnson speaks out about Concussions

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah he got unlucky being drafted by them

But didnt have to re sign and he chose to. So to a degree come on man. If it was so bad then why re-sign.

Anywho. I like how content he is with it all. Frankly u knew he was like this even while here

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NFL is a little different. Even if he didn't re-sign, Lions could have kept the franchise tag on him every year. IMO, franchise tag was DUMB DUMB DUMB for the NFLPA to agree on. You want to franchise tag? Then offer fully guaranteed contracts. Players in the NFL are giving up way too much bargaining power. Franchise tag is just another way for teams to limit movement of the top players in the league...and they know it. If anything, you can only apply the franchise tag ONCE to a player. The next year, the team has to come to the table and pay, or let the player go out to a true free market.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He re-signed because of Money!! That's why!? 60 million guaranteed!?!

Ah my bad. U r right. Detroit was the only one willing to pay that. Please. Calvin doesnt care about giving part of his signing bonus back then something tells me if a better squad wanted him for slightly less and detroit was such a disaster then leave. It doesn’t add up. Clearly by his behavior money isnt all of it

And its not. In fact if he thought detroit org was so pathetic and stayed just for the money that says alot too. I dont get it on either end.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He was smart, ego under control, with more than enough money, to realize that the pain, cumulative injuries, and risk to his health weren't worth it - especially with Detroit. Like Andrew Luck this year, not enough good reasons to continue. IMO he made an excellent life decision.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He was smart, ego under control, with more than enough money, to realize that the pain, cumulative injuries, and risk to his health weren't worth it - especially with Detroit. Like Andrew Luck this year, not enough good reasons to continue. IMO he made an excellent life decision.

We will see it more and more. These guys dont "need" the game like the older generations of players did.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hoped Johnson would retire the year before he did, because the geniuses in that organization decided that Calvin Johnson was hereafter to be an over-the-middle, slant pass possession receiver. They entered their Maserati in a demolition derby. I was stunned to see him get up after being sandwiched mid-air by two defenders and losing his helmet and a glove ... and he got up and was kept in the game. Not even one play as a breather. Wonderful player, great person.

Animal02

Banned
I hoped Johnson would retire the year before he did, because the geniuses in that organization decided that Calvin Johnson was hereafter to be an over-the-middle, slant pass possession receiver. They entered their Maserati in a demolition derby. I was stunned to see him get up after being sandwiched mid-air by two defenders and losing his helmet and a glove ... and he got up and was kept in the game. Not even one play as a breather. Wonderful player, great person.
My nephew waiting on him at an Eienstien Bagel one morning.....was surprised how polite and unassuming he was....."please" "thank you" etc. His momma raised him right.