Byerly

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think he was basing that off of the sample size alone, its more so the complete package. JT can throw well, he is the better runner, and he runs the option pretty well...

JT a better runner is debatable with the way you need to run in this offense. A single great play doesn't negate all the mistakes that a player makes. Consistency is what will win you ball games. Time will tell and I'm pretty sure TB will get his shot.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT and Byerly are both perfectly good starters...

The question for us to really debate in the absence of new news is do we want quicker/faster or tough/powerful. TY might be a good balance, but he is not ready yet to enter the debate for 2014.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's funny how Byerly gets a pass for the fumbles. If JT was playing people would be blasting him because of his ball security issues.

However, I was impressed with Byerly. He looked like a real QB back there. The 3rd and 15 throw and the slant route were nice to see. He put some zip on it and delivered the ball accurately. I don't think you guys should count out JT just yet though.

I liked Ty Griffin running the football but he looked like a guy who's the best athlete on his high school team trying to play quarterback.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
JT and Byerly are both perfectly good starters...

The question for us to really debate in the absence of new news is do we want quicker/faster or tough/powerful. TY might be a good balance, but he is not ready yet to enter the debate for 2014.
I agree with your debate question. But, it also goes without saying, that perhaps the bigger question is which one makes the reads the best. If the answer to that question is negligible, then your debate question becomes primary, and I really hope that is the situation we end up with - that we're debating which guys' running strengths we prefer rather than which guy makes the fewest mistakes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your debate question. But, it also goes without saying, that perhaps the bigger question is which one makes the reads the best. If the answer to that question is negligible, then your debate question becomes primary, and I really hope that is the situation we end up with - that we're debating which guys' running strengths we prefer rather than which guy makes the fewest mistakes.
Agree, there are several more pressing questions that will decide the starter.

One thing I'd like to point out, however. If you have a qb that marches down the field methodically over a long period of time and many plays, it creates more opportunity for mistakes to derail the drive. Everybody has to be perfect, longer.

If you have a guy who can shorten drives with big plays, you don't have to be perfect as long.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Agree, there are several more pressing questions that will decide the starter.

One thing I'd like to point out, however. If you have a qb that marches down the field methodically over a long period of time and many plays, it creates more opportunity for mistakes to derail the drive. Everybody has to be perfect, longer.

If you have a guy who can shorten drives with big plays, you don't have to be perfect as long.
OTOH, that long drive tires out their defense, gives our defense rest, gets their offense off their game, and allows you to control the possessions so that you have the ball last at the end of the halves.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Eric, how entrenched do you think Ty is at the QB spot? Looking ahead to next year, RS Sr. Byerly, RS Jr. Thomas, RS Fr. Jordan, TR Fr. Ratliffe would seem like the logical order, based on how hard the staff went after Jordan and that Ratliffe seemed to have been the top QB target. I haven't watched the spring game yet, but seems many of you are talking up his running ability and athleticism. With so many seniors at AB, would a move to that spot make sense? Or do the coaches seem that high on him at QB?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Eric, how entrenched do you think Ty is at the QB spot? Looking ahead to next year, RS Sr. Byerly, RS Jr. Thomas, RS Fr. Jordan, TR Fr. Ratliffe would seem like the logical order, based on how hard the staff went after Jordan and that Ratliffe seemed to have been the top QB target. I haven't watched the spring game yet, but seems many of you are talking up his running ability and athleticism. With so many seniors at AB, would a move to that spot make sense? Or do the coaches seem that high on him at QB?
Good question. I will let Eric answer for the coaches because I have no idea. Personally, I am high on him at QB. He needs time and doesn't look ready at the moment, but he is electric and the kind of guy that you want to touch the ball a lot of times. Any passing critique by me would be foolish at this time. A couple of sloppy fade throws in a driving rain storm means nothing. I thought he looked incredibly athletic. The one play that solidified it for me was the one where he got tripped up a little, regained his balance, and then nearly outran Milton (who had a bit of a jump on him) to the end zone. We all know Milton is a very fast kid. That run impressed me. Griffin is a kid who can make something out of nothing. Lets give him time to see if the reads and the game slow down for him a little. We all have preconceived notions about players based on hoopla surrounding recruiting etc. You never really know where some of the stars are going to come from. My vote is for him to stay put for at least another full year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My guess would be that the more options you have at qb, the better and that position switches would only happen if it appeared there was no way a guy could help us at qb. Also, keep in mind that running from the qb position is different from running at either back position. Both Synjyn and David ran very well at qb. David make the transition to Back, Synjyn has struggled to have the same type of success running the ball at Aback.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

So true, this was very noticable during the Tevin years, we need that home run threat and have missed it since '09

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First, TB is not, is not, is not, is not Tevin 2010. I think TB is better than Tevin 2012 due to his ability to run the offense and pass. His arm is stronger, his passing is more accurate, and he has better touch.

TB also thrives on hitting. Tevin did not bend away from contact, but TB seems to be drawn to contact. I believe TB could out 4th and 1 Tevin given his spring game pile moving.

I am not sure on TB speed. His strength of ruggedness is also a weakness due to the impact on speed. I wonder if Tevin has a higher top end speed than TB.

I really don't remember Nebitt's speed and long runs. I remember him for being more of a tough warrior, tough runs, and hard to bring down.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

The coaches originally thought he would be moving positions (Prior to this Spring) but he has played well...CPJ has commented about his ability several times this Spring and how impressed with him he has been. He is definitely sticking at QB for now...someone has to move eventually so this is going to be a good battle to watch in 2015. I think he's sticking at QB for at least this year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The coaches originally thought he would be moving positions (Prior to this Spring) but he has played well...CPJ has commented about his ability several times this Spring and how impressed with him he has been. He is definitely sticking at QB for now...someone has to move eventually so this is going to be a good battle to watch in 2015. I think he's sticking at QB for at least this year.

Thanks, Eric. By the way, I didn't mean to take anything away from Griffin's ability to play QB. He just seems like the most likely candidate to switch positions. TB, JT, MJ are locks for QB as long as they are at GT (no matter how many people say "why don't we just stick JT at AB").

And, as always, thank you so much for running a board that encourages REAL GT football discussion. I was done with message boards until I came over here. Sure, some of the same arguments take place here as they do on other "boards" but the general feel is very football-related.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those are pretty bold statements based off of one spring scrimmage.

That passing statement is based on 2013 scrimmages, both spring and fall, and the spring game 2014. The "read" comment is based of all his total play. He read very well in the spring game. And no one reads and meshes better in the diamond formation than Byerly.

I guess you guys don't remember the trouble first defense gave both Vad and JT in the passing game spring 2013. This passing looked much better against the 1s.

That defense is better than any other defense we have had in at least 4 years. I don't think it was a bad OL either. That said, Byerly gave a good show( not perfect).

The coaches see a good player, just not a home run threat on every play like JT.
I think JT reads well too. I wish I could have seen JT in the spring game. Byerly sure did look at ease and right at home in our offense and I hope JT looks the same or better.