Byerly

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To me, this is the bottom line with JT and Byerly:

JT
PRO: Represents our best chance for a big play on any given snap at the QB position. Phenomenal ability to exploit the slightest crease in defensive gaps and get into the second level. Has the rare ability to "see" defenders behind him buy time to make something out of nothing when it seems he's hemmed in.
CONS: Durability is an issue with him. Got hurt in our first open scrimmage, and was held out due to injury in our official scrimmage. Yes he could have played had it been a real game, but for how long? Having a hurt shoulder as a QB in our offense isn't conducive for fighting for yards between the tackles, or having a defender fall on you while you're going to the ground....both of which happens a lot for QBs in our offense. In the 3 weeks of spring training, injuries have cost him playing time twice. Now that he's QB1, his contact with the defense is going to grow exponentially over time. All that wear and tear adds up on any person, especially with a person with a small frame like JT. If he has a leg injury like a sprained ankle or ham string pull (which Nesbitt had a lot of), then you take away a large portion of why JT is seen as QB1...the ability to break a big play. Unlike JT, when Nesbitt had those injuries he could still be a bulldozer and fight for those few extra yards running our offense. Does not seem to have the offense down as well at Byerly, but does seem more fluid in it than Vad.

Byerly
PRO: Is starting to understand the offense on the same level as Tevin Washington. Understands the nuances of timing, and the intricacies that makes our offense run like a machine. Not going to wow you in terms of physical ability, but like someone mentioned, by the end of the game you look at the stats and his production will surprise you. Somehow, when TB is running the offense, the offense seems to find itself in the red zone. Built like an option QB, and has been durable in the instances he's had to put his hat down and get tough yards.
CONS: Doesn't have the ceiling of JT, and is seen more as a "game manager". Not the fastest guy or the biggest arm, and GT fans are ready to see a game breaker at the most important position in our offense. Unfortunately, TB is going to get dinged for that from our fans. Defenses don't have to worry about putting in special game plans for him (like spying the QB) which CPJ could exploit within our system.

Conclusion: JT has the ability to create headaches for defenses, and is a threat to break a huge play on any given snap. If he remains healthy, he's QB1. If he doesn't remain healthy, that game breaking ability will be on the sidelines healing up. TB doesn't have the game breaking ability that JT does, but he understands our offense, and he can move it down the field methodically. Nothing wrong with that either. GT isn't in bad hands with either QB, it's just a matter of preference. Of course you want the guy with big play ability to direct your offense, but you also want your #1 QB directing your offense and not the medical staff on where he needs treatment.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
nice write up tech...however I disagree with a few things. JT doesn't feel defenders behind him. IMO this is when he fumbles the most. Also,I think your not giving TB enough credit for his throwing ability. Where have you seen him not make a strong throw? He seems to have some zip on the ball with a nice tight spiral. Does this mean he never makes a bad throw? No but TB is our best QB at this point overall. JT has speed but how many big plays do you think he will make in a game? I'll take my chances with a QB who can manage the drive the best and keep opposing defenses off balance.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't see Byerly as a Nesbitt type. Nesbitt was quick, Byerly is not. Nesbitt was actually fast for the first 20 yards until his gait broke down. 20 yards is into the secondary btw. Byerly is fastest AFTER 15 yards. Not going to get a chance to hit his top speed much.

The Byerly cult has reached Jaybo status now.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After this year of experience, the QB spot is back on solid footing. But, there will be some growing pains this year I am afraid.

thwgjacket

To me, this is the bottom line with JT and Byerly:

JT
PRO: Represents our best chance for a big play on any given snap at the QB position. Phenomenal ability to exploit the slightest crease in defensive gaps and get into the second level. Has the rare ability to "see" defenders behind him buy time to make something out of nothing when it seems he's hemmed in.
CONS: Durability is an issue with him. Got hurt in our first open scrimmage, and was held out due to injury in our official scrimmage. Yes he could have played had it been a real game, but for how long? Having a hurt shoulder as a QB in our offense isn't conducive for fighting for yards between the tackles, or having a defender fall on you while you're going to the ground....both of which happens a lot for QBs in our offense. In the 3 weeks of spring training, injuries have cost him playing time twice. Now that he's QB1, his contact with the defense is going to grow exponentially over time. All that wear and tear adds up on any person, especially with a person with a small frame like JT. If he has a leg injury like a sprained ankle or ham string pull (which Nesbitt had a lot of), then you take away a large portion of why JT is seen as QB1...the ability to break a big play. Unlike JT, when Nesbitt had those injuries he could still be a bulldozer and fight for those few extra yards running our offense. Does not seem to have the offense down as well at Byerly, but does seem more fluid in it than Vad.

Byerly
PRO: Is starting to understand the offense on the same level as Tevin Washington. Understands the nuances of timing, and the intricacies that makes our offense run like a machine. Not going to wow you in terms of physical ability, but like someone mentioned, by the end of the game you look at the stats and his production will surprise you. Somehow, when TB is running the offense, the offense seems to find itself in the red zone. Built like an option QB, and has been durable in the instances he's had to put his hat down and get tough yards.
CONS: Doesn't have the ceiling of JT, and is seen more as a "game manager". Not the fastest guy or the biggest arm, and GT fans are ready to see a game breaker at the most important position in our offense. Unfortunately, TB is going to get dinged for that from our fans. Defenses don't have to worry about putting in special game plans for him (like spying the QB) which CPJ could exploit within our system.

Conclusion: JT has the ability to create headaches for defenses, and is a threat to break a huge play on any given snap. If he remains healthy, he's QB1. If he doesn't remain healthy, that game breaking ability will be on the sidelines healing up. TB doesn't have the game breaking ability that JT does, but he understands our offense, and he can move it down the field methodically. Nothing wrong with that either. GT isn't in bad hands with either QB, it's just a matter of preference. Of course you want the guy with big play ability to direct your offense, but you also want your #1 QB directing your offense and not the medical staff on where he needs treatment.

JT may end up getting injured this year but of the injuries you listed there are 2 distinct types in my opinion. First you talk about wear and tear from hits. I can see that and have no real disagreements. But the sprained ankle and hamstring injuries you talk about aren't really from taking hits. I've never seen a guy get rocked and then been informed he has a sprained ankle. For the most part sprained ankles are just bad luck. JT being smaller does not mean he is more likely to sprain an ankle. The same thing with hamstring injuries. Most of the time hamstring injuries vary individual to individual. I don't recall JT having had a hamstring injury so I don't see any imminent hamstring injuries in his future, especially not from hits alone. JT had a concussion last year when he got hit standing in the pocket, but that hit would have concussed 99% of QB's. Wasn't really because of his size.

Only other issue I have is with the inflection in your writing. This may be unintentional but it comes off like you feel that Byerly should be the starter. It's cool if that is your opinion but I think you should just say that instead of presenting a supposedly unbiased review of both QB's. When you write about the Con's with Byerly you give excuses for him by using terms like "unfortunately". You don't do that when talking about JT.
**Just the way I read it.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Don't see Byerly as a Nesbitt type. Nesbitt was quick, Byerly is not. Nesbitt was actually fast for the first 20 yards until his gait broke down. 20 yards is into the secondary btw. Byerly is fastest AFTER 15 yards. Not going to get a chance to hit his top speed much.

The Byerly cult has reached Jaybo status now.

The Jaybo worship was crazy, but this isn't the same situation. Beside their skin pigment, they aren't the same type of player.
Byerly is a 215-220 lb. RS-junior with 2 years in the system. Jaybo was a true frosh and 180 lbs soaking wet. Byerly carried 3 defenders the other night and Jaybo got taken down one handed by a uga DL.
Nesbitt was a soph with real snaps and a spring practice under his belt. Jaybo was a freshman.JT has a few more snaps and the same amount of time in the system as TB.
I think JT is our guy right now, but Im a lot less sure of that than I was before spring. That has nothing to do with JT and everything to do with how TB looked. It is good to have competition. It will only make both players better.
Edit: Nesbitt as a sophomore was a fast and quick player. He didn't have the same gear after his hammy and ankle injuries though. I think TB has the same level speed/quickness of a late junior Nesbitt or a Washington. Nesbitt ran a 4.59 forty and a 2.73 twenty on his pro day. Not slow for a QB but not as explosive as you seem to think.Don't let Byerly's skin tone throw you.

Last edited:

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
The Jaybo worship was crazy, but this isn't the same situation. Beside their skin pigment, they aren't the same type of player.
Byerly is a 215-220 lb. RS-junior with 2 years in the system. Jaybo was a true frosh and 180 lbs soaking wet. Byerly carried 3 defenders the other night and Jaybo got taken down one handed by a uga DL.
Nesbitt was a soph with real snaps and a spring practice under his belt. Jaybo was a freshman.JT has a few more snaps and the same amount of time in the system as TB.
I think JT is our guy right now, but Im a lot less sure of that than I was before spring. That has nothing to do with JT and everything to do with how TB looked. It is good to have competition. It will only make both players better.
Edit: Nesbitt as a sophomore was a fast and quick player. He didn't have the same gear after his hammy and ankle injuries though. I think TB has the same level speed/quickness of a late junior Nesbitt or a Washington. Nesbitt ran a 4.59 forty and a 2.73 twenty on his pro day. Not slow for a QB but not as explosive as you seem to think.Don't let Byerly's skin tone throw you.

This...big hang up for some fans. Some just don't want to look at the numbers.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nesbitt ran 4.59 two years after college while completely healthy in hand timed fashion. That probably translates to 4.65 at the combine. Like you said, most of his time at GT he was not completely healthy. Look, anybody who has eyes and the inclination to pay attention knows that Nesbitt was not fast. Where he did not get nearly enough credit, IMHO, was for his agility. He could leap, contort his body, side step, and dive forward with the best of them. He could get 3 when most QBs (even the fast ones) would get 1. He was also a bull. That is what made him so good for us, not his speed. In that context it is hard to compare Byerly to Nesbitt at this point. I think speed wise they are similar and they run with a similar toughness as well. What I haven't seen from Timmy yet is the slippery maneuvers in the trash and ability to dive /stretch forward. At this point, I have the opinion that TB sees the field really well and processes visual information quickly. That will play in his favor in this offense, as it would any other.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I am in a quandary-what QB is best if we have a struggling Oline? do we want the quick guy to get out of jams or the steady guy who can break a tackle? This may be the real question about the 2 guys.
I've always liked TB when I heard that he was under-ctr in hi school unlike ALL the other QBs from JN to VL to JT.The "comfort" factor with this offense may be the difference.I think that JT may start but after injuries and TOs we go to TB.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am in a quandary-what QB is best if we have a struggling Oline? do we want the quick guy to get out of jams or the steady guy who can break a tackle? This may be the real question about the 2 guys.
I've always liked TB when I heard that he was under-ctr in hi school unlike ALL the other QBs from JN to VL to JT.The "comfort" factor with this offense may be the difference.I think that JT may start but after injuries and TOs we go to TB.

If the OL struggles:

If it's pass pro I'd take JT because of his escapeability. If it's a run I'm tending to think Byerly because he's more likely to hold onto the foosball and possibly break a tackle for postive yards. Then again if pass pro breaks down maybe you want the guy who'll throw it away and live to fight another day than throw a pick. And on running downs you could argue JT can maybe juke an unblocked defender.

One thing I do know for certain: The best guy will play. I played football from age 6-22 and I can tell you the higher the level at which one plays the more certain it is that the best guy plays.

I think one of the reasons fans think that the coach may sit the best player is that they saw this phenomenon in 7th grade. I know I did....I changed schools and went from catholic league mvp to second string because the coach at the new school knew the kid's family who started in front of me. That team won 1 game.

I sat out 8th grade football in disgust then got pulled up to varsity in HS and started 3 years and was team captain. You get up to HS and almost always the best guy plays. In college the best guy ALWAYs play. I can't think of a time I thought someone else should be starting at a position then the guy who was. Usually it's really obvious who the starter should be and why.

Very, very, very rarely does the back up come in and outplay the starter. If he does then it's usually because it was really close in practice and they guy is the rare 'gamer' who plays better in games than practice. Or the light came on at that point in that guy's career, or if the starter is out you know your job is safe so you play with confidence. Maybe you complete a pass or two, get on a roll, and don't look back. So yeah, it happens and everyone remembers it when it does....but it's a highly unlikely phenomenon.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
If the OL struggles:

If it's pass pro I'd take JT because of his escapeability. If it's a run I'm tending to think Byerly because he's more likely to hold onto the foosball and possibly break a tackle for postive yards. Then again if pass pro breaks down maybe you want the guy who'll throw it away and live to fight another day than throw a pick. And on running downs you could argue JT can maybe juke an unblocked defender.

One thing I do know for certain: The best guy will play. I played football from age 6-22 and I can tell you the higher the level at which one plays the more certain it is that the best guy plays.

I think one of the reasons fans think that the coach may sit the best player is that they saw this phenomenon in 7th grade. I know I did....I changed schools and went from catholic league mvp to second string because the coach at the new school knew the kid's family who started in front of me. That team won 1 game.

I sat out 8th grade football in disgust then got pulled up to varsity in HS and started 3 years and was team captain. You get up to HS and almost always the best guy plays. In college the best guy ALWAYs play. I can't think of a time I thought someone else should be starting at a position then the guy who was. Usually it's really obvious who the starter should be and why.

Very, very, very rarely does the back up come in and outplay the starter. If he does then it's usually because it was really close in practice and they guy is the rare 'gamer' who plays better in games than practice. Or the light came on at that point in that guy's career, or if the starter is out you know your job is safe so you play with confidence. Maybe you complete a pass or two, get on a roll, and don't look back. So yeah, it happens and everyone remembers it when it does....but it's a highly unlikely phenomenon.
Please post often!!!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Byerly seems like a perfect quarterback for a slopfest like the spring game, or for grinding out the clock at the end of a tight game, or for dependabily taking over if the starter gets hurt. He, much like Laskey imo, is a really good piece, but not quite what we need as a starter to get to 10 win seasons

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
what pieces do you think are better that will get us 10 wins? If you compare the small samples that both JT and TB has showed us the last 2 years and still think JT is the starter....God help you!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If the OL struggles:

Chris Simms over Major Applewhite is the only one I can think of.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
what pieces do you think are better that will get us 10 wins? If you compare the small samples that both JT and TB has showed us the last 2 years and still think JT is the starter....God help you!
I don't think he was basing that off of the sample size alone, its more so the complete package. JT can throw well, he is the better runner, and he runs the option pretty well...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Not what i am saying at all, TB is a good, very serviceable player, in my mind he is THE perfect backup. We need someone better, more dynamic, i hope that JT is that guy, but i certainly haven't seen enough out of him to say that he will be or even win the starters job at this point.