Byerly to Bback

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
And yet, it does. Step out from your mom's basement and watch. Would you be happier if I said "a lot harder" on the math?
Wow, sorry I stepped on your lawn, grandpa. No, "a lot harder" wouldn't cut it. The value of a model is its predictive and conceptual power, not the simplicity of the math. Curve fitting is not understanding.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, sorry I stepped on your lawn, grandpa. No, "a lot harder" wouldn't cut it. The value of a model is its predictive and conceptual power, not the simplicity of the math. Curve fitting is not understanding.

Also: Tractable math isn't a reason to pick a model? Better go tell Physics and Economics, among other things.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Dont Get It.jpg

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TB is different than any other QB. I feel TB runs as hard as JN, runs the option like TW, is not as fast as JT, but is the best passer of the bunch (see end of Duke game). JT feels like the second best passer, runs the options very quick, is slippery as snot, but does not have the power run game. I really don't have a lot of information on JM except he seems like a hard runner from the spring game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Also: Tractable math isn't a reason to pick a model? Better go tell Physics and Economics, among other things.

I always like to use Einstein's Razor on this: make all models as simple as possible, but not simpler.

The physicists are all in with that, but they have a strong experimental tradition and oddles of data to look at to keep their models in line. Econ and the other social sciences haven't had that, though that's sure changing. Result = tractable economic models that are very poor (in some cases, very, very, very poor) representations of empirical reality.

See, that's why I like Tech football sites. You don't see epistemology coming up too often among other football fans.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

LoL. For a moment, assume that I'm not an idiot and reconsider.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Regardless Nesbitt has actually won big games, beat uga, won an acc championship, and taken footballs away from defenders. To say a back up qb with limited snaps is better than that is just a guess/stretch imo
Well, I wasn't comparing resumes, obviously. That wouldn't be wise. I just think TB is better. Is it a guess? Well, it is impossible to compare them head to head. I will say this, however, without reservation: if I had to choose between JN and TB to QB the 2015 Jackets, I would take TB. That is just me. I think he would give us the better chance to win. Additionally, I would take TW ahead of JN too FWIW. I like Josh. He was a warrior. However, the only QB in the CPJ era I would put him in front of would be Vad.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I wasn't comparing resumes, obviously. That wouldn't be wise. I just think TB is better. Is it a guess? Well, it is impossible to compare them head to head. I will say this, however, without reservation: if I had to choose between JN and TB to QB the 2015 Jackets, I would take TB. That is just me. I think he would give us the better chance to win. Additionally, I would take TW ahead of JN too FWIW. I like Josh. He was a warrior. However, the only QB in the CPJ era I would put him in front of would be Vad.
Haha idk id take Nesbitt all day. 2nd best qb behind justin.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Really, it's not worth it. God forbid you actual counter her point, as she will just move the target.

"Step out of your moms basement", she's a winner isn't she?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
i usually agree with your opinion, but were wayyyyyyy far apart on this one. JfN was and is the toughest son of a ***** ive seen play QB for us. that means something to me. i feel like people dont remember how he would put the team on his back and just will his team to win in crunch time. did he have accuracy problems? sure. did he make the perfect read every time? nah. but he was a gladiator at the QB position, and fought for life every play. would only put him behind J-Smoove. and even then i still miss the bad *** motherf***** approach Josh brought to the position.
(end of rant, back to discussion)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
i usually agree with your opinion, but were wayyyyyyy far apart on this one. JfN was and is the toughest son of a ***** ive seen play QB for us. that means something to me. i feel like people dont remember how he would put the team on his back and just will his team to win in crunch time. did he have accuracy problems? sure. did he make the perfect read every time? nah. but he was a gladiator at the QB position, and fought for life every play. would only put him behind J-Smoove. and even then i still miss the bad *** motherf***** approach Josh brought to the position.
I'm not so sure that Byerly wouldn't have done the same. Nesbitt was was a tougher runner, but not by much. Byerly brings a much more accurate arm to the table as well as a better ability to read defenses. We'll never know because you can't go back in time and insert one player for another. I don't know the outcome for sure, but it is far from a sure bet that Nesbitt wins the job.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not so sure that Byerly wouldn't have done the same. Nesbitt was was a tougher runner, but not by much. Byerly brings a much more accurate arm to the table as well as a better ability to read defenses. We'll never know because you can't go back in time and insert one player for another. I don't know the outcome for sure, but it is far from a sure bet that Nesbitt wins the job.

I'm not sure Byerly has gotten enough snaps to really get a good comparison to multi-year starter. That's not to say you're wrong. It feels similar to when Vad looked strong when he was splitting snaps with Tevin; it wasn't until he was the starter that we really saw how good or bad he was. That's not to discredit Tim, as he has looked quite strong when he's played, but the sample set seems rather limited.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of Byerly getting on the field. If BB is the only way then I say give it a go. But make sure MJ is a valid backup first.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That you've ever seen? Ever, or just those you saw in person?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt would have been a better B back, anyway. Wrong skill set for QB, right for B. Both he and TW were lucky to land at GT and Johnson's offense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
TB is different than any other QB. I feel TB runs as hard as JN, runs the option like TW, is not as fast as JT, but is the best passer of the bunch (see end of Duke game). JT feels like the second best passer, runs the options very quick, is slippery as snot, but does not have the power run game. I really don't have a lot of information on JM except he seems like a hard runner from the spring game.
Byerly reminds me of a heavier running version of Jabo Shaw.