Byerly to Bback

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
He's not that fast, he's a tough runner tho. He's better for us as a QB than a 3rd string BB. ****ty situation for him with the depth as good as it is. But it's a great sign for our team. He may move over to BB for spring, doubt he's overly successful tho. He's more of a gamer QB than a raw talent

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wish the situation was different somehow for TB but it's not. Now that JT is a household name he will be getting everyone's best shot every game. I expect to see some late hits on pitches, etc. TB will get his snaps. But this dream some of you have of him starting at some position is highly unlikely. No other QB on the roster is going to be advanced enough to come in and run the O anywhere near as well as TB, and with our goals for 2015, that's how he will help the most, IMO. And I'm sure he knows that, and I'm sure he's ok with it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Like all the trick plays we ran with Sims and Days at B-back?
After his misguided effort to placate Vad Lee, and maybe help the kid succeed, with that funky diamond shotgun, Johnson will run the wildcat when science reveals the sun does in fact circle the earth.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ask yourself this question. If JT were to go out for 5 weeks with a high ankle sprain (I hate even bringing it up), who would you want under center early in 2015? Byerly or Jordan? For me there is very little question to it. The obvious answer is Byerly. He has proven he can run the offense with very little drop off. He is experienced and he is starter quality. In fact, I would even say he is the second best QB CPJ has put on the field here even though he hasn't compiled the stats to prove it. For that reason alone, I feel we have to keep him at QB. He is simply too valuable.

For me, TB at BB would look a lot like Sims at BB. Certainly he will be a physical runner like David, but to expect game breaking ability beyond that of Sims just isn't realistic. While we all appreciate what Sims did for us at the position, 95% of us were calling for something more. There are a lot of questions yet to be answered at BB, but I have to believe, based on comments from those close to the action in combination with what I have seen with my own eyes on tape or scrimmages, that we have some really good options in the program right now beyond TB.

The sad part for me is that TB came to college to play football. He is a really good player in our system, but has found himself in the unfortunate position of arriving at the same time as a phenom in JT. In any other season prior to 2014, TB would probably be starting if he were at this point in his development then. That is life. It is really fun to play. I get that. I just hope he understands that he has at least one fan, in me, who super appreciates the value he adds to this team in his current role.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
After his misguided effort to placate Vad Lee, and maybe help the kid succeed, with that funky diamond shotgun, Johnson will run the wildcat when science reveals the sun does in fact circle the earth.

Fwiw, the sun and the rest of the universe does in fact circle the earth. It's just harder math.

That being said, I agree that Johnson will be making sure that all QB recruits in the future know that the system won't change. Of course, the suggestion of this thread was predicated on Jordan being ready to back-up Justin. I'm optimistic. I agree that it's unlikely that he'll already be as good as Tim or that Tim would be a better B-Back then the running backs who are already competing for that position. However, Sims did ultimately beat-out both Perk (in part because of injury but not entirely) and Zach, so who knows. Synjyn was the back-up QB when Vad was a RS freshman and was moved to A-back by the end of that season. So, if RS Fr Matthew Jordan comes on strong, it's possible, though unlikely, that Tim could be given a different place to contribute. CPJ also likes to give playing time to seniors who have put in the practice time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've held off commenting, thinking that some sounder minds than mine would venture into this discussion. Even though some have, they haven't said exactly what I've been thinking, so I'll add my two cents to this discussion.

I think it would be a highly questionable move. TB is athletic and tough, but he's a hard-running QB not a RB. To switch from QB, where he's played his entire life, to a hand-in-the-ground running back would not be an easy exercise (yes, I know David Sims and Synjyn Days). Everyone focuses on how tough a runner he is (and he is), but what we've seen is him as a QB, not an every-down RB. There's a huge difference. Boomer compared him to Sims, which is the best comparison we have, but I think there's a big difference between those to guys athleticly. David looked like an athlete carrying the ball when he ran it as a QB, TB looks like a running QB carrying the ball. With that, it took DS a couple of years to really "get it" as a B-Back. (I know he shot up the depth chart quickly, but as @AE 87 posted, that was partly because CP was injured. I just think that DS and TB are different kinds of runners.

On this team, TB is the back-up QB, who will probably get to see time in 2015 as QB. JT is very tough and good at avoiding direct contact, but we were lucky to get through the season without seriously needing TB to step in. I hope 2015 is the same, but I wouldn't bank on it. As good as Jordan has developed, I'm pretty sure he's not at TB's level. If something happens to JT, I want TB to be able to step in and lead the team. He's earned that and has shown he's more than capable (Duke 2014). CPJ is going to play the guys he thinks will give him the best opportunity to win, and I don't think that will be TB at BB. If TB was a sophomore and MJ and CC were pushing him for the #2 spot, maybe. But, not in this situation.

Last edited:

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
To all of you calling for trick plays: Stop. Just stop.

Trick plays are by their nature a low percentage play with huge potential downsides. Trick plays should only be used when your O is being dominated and a normal play has a small success rate. It is a sign of desperation.

Our O has an historically high success rate and you are calling for plays that would REDUCE that success rate. Why???
bdbyd.jpg

Animal02

Banned

Trick plays are by their nature a low percentage play with huge potential downsides. Trick plays should only be used when your O is being dominated and a normal play has a small success rate. It is a sign of desperation.

Our O has an historically high success rate and you are calling for plays that would REDUCE that success rate. Why???
bdbyd.jpg
Trick plays force the defense to stay honest..........you cannot just leave a receiver streaking down the field uncovered if there is a remote chance that the BB can pull up on the sweep and chuck it down field. Same with reverses etc. The possibility forces the D to cover the possibility.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Ask yourself this question. If JT were to go out for 5 weeks with a high ankle sprain (I hate even bringing it up), who would you want under center early in 2015? Byerly or Jordan? For me there is very little question to it. The obvious answer is Byerly. He has proven he can run the offense with very little drop off. He is experienced and he is starter quality. In fact, I would even say he is the second best QB CPJ has put on the field here even though he hasn't compiled the stats to prove it. For that reason alone, I feel we have to keep him at QB. He is simply too valuable.

For me, TB at BB would look a lot like Sims at BB. Certainly he will be a physical runner like David, but to expect game breaking ability beyond that of Sims just isn't realistic. While we all appreciate what Sims did for us at the position, 95% of us were calling for something more. There are a lot of questions yet to be answered at BB, but I have to believe, based on comments from those close to the action in combination with what I have seen with my own eyes on tape or scrimmages, that we have some really good options in the program right now beyond TB.

The sad part for me is that TB came to college to play football. He is a really good player in our system, but has found himself in the unfortunate position of arriving at the same time as a phenom in JT. In any other season prior to 2014, TB would probably be starting if he were at this point in his development then. That is life. It is really fun to play. I get that. I just hope he understands that he has at least one fan, in me, who super appreciates the value he adds to this team in his current role.
Like Tim, but bit of a stretch to say hes better than Nesbitt lol

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, the sun and the rest of the universe does in fact circle the earth. It's just harder math.

That being said, I agree that Johnson will be making sure that all QB recruits in the future know that the system won't change. Of course, the suggestion of this thread was predicated on Jordan being ready to back-up Justin. I'm optimistic. I agree that it's unlikely that he'll already be as good as Tim or that Tim would be a better B-Back then the running backs who are already competing for that position. However, Sims did ultimately beat-out both Perk (in part because of injury but not entirely) and Zach, so who knows. Synjyn was the back-up QB when Vad was a RS freshman and was moved to A-back by the end of that season. So, if RS Fr Matthew Jordan comes on strong, it's possible, though unlikely, that Tim could be given a different place to contribute. CPJ also likes to give playing time to seniors who have put in the practice time.
If it is math I am out. What I might have said was that Johnson would run that shotgun stuff when the Center for Disease Control says that it is cool that food service people shouldn't wash their hands before serving.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Like Tim, but bit of a stretch to say hes better than Nesbitt lol
At first glance, maybe. But not really. Nesbitt could do some stuff and no doubt he was tough, but every QB in this system has that requirement. From what little we have seen of Byerly he is much smoother with the option and the pitch, he can run, and hard, and he can actually pass the ball. So I don't think it's a stretch. Really, when Nesbitt went down -- after another INT -- how much dropoff occurred with TW?

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
At first glance, maybe. But not really. Nesbitt could do some stuff and no doubt he was tough, but every QB in this system has that requirement. From what little we have seen of Byerly he is much smoother with the option and the pitch, he can run, and hard, and he can actually pass the ball. So I don't think it's a stretch. Really, when Nesbitt went down -- after another INT -- how much dropoff occurred with TW?
Regardless Nesbitt has actually won big games, beat uga, won an acc championship, and taken footballs away from defenders. To say a back up qb with limited snaps is better than that is just a guess/stretch imo

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

What you say is true, but it assumes that the play in question meets your operational definition of a trick play. If we can snap to Byerly and SURPRISE! it's a shotgun passing down and it's no lower percentage of success than other shotgun pass plays, well, then it's not a trick play. Except it's still a surprise pass from a nontraditional passer, so... yeah.

TB and Synjyn's careers do make one think about possibilities. The Yellow Jackets didn't have much need to call midline plays last year (and I'd argue that we saw TB come in when CPJ wanted to use the midline- mostly against DC's we played early. I think the answer to "y u no byerly at goalline?" was either "because the bback is already kicking ***" or "because we're gaining steady on the keep or pitch") because defenses didn't give us a reason to.

Now, in a world where the defense is consistently shutting down my star bback and JT ISN'T kicking *** on the outside, maybe I:

Put TB in at Bback. At play call, I designate either JT to run the midline Bback scheme or TB to run a TO Bback scheme. At the mesh, the play resolves into either midline or TO, but up to that point the plays look exactly the same. You've just confused the hell out of the defender's assignments, and removed whatever tell putting in Byerly might be. Downside is you need JT to play a competent 'Bback' on the midline, expose him to stuff from doing that. Also would require a very momentum change at the mesh to work well (i.e. you need the QB to haul all *** and the BB to slow down so they hit the line in the proper order at the correct speed.

Wouldn't really do it at GT, but if I was CPJ, head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, maybe I take 3 of the 7 excellent option quarterbacks I can buy for the price of one 'pro' quarterback and cross train them as Bbacks. Hell, maybe I select my entire backs stable from people who can throw, and turn the rocket toss into an optional pass play because why not?

If it is math I am out. What I might have said was that Johnson would run that shotgun stuff when the Center for Disease Control says that it is cool that food service people shouldn't wash their hands before serving.

This, right here, is why I love GTswarm. It feels like it's Georgia Tech.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It's a bit more than that. It's the abandonment of our primary model of universal motion. Bit hard to reconcile general relativity plus our observations of gravity and the constancy of the speed of light when the entire universe zips around our planet once day.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
If JT goes out, I want Byerly coming in. He is the main back-up at out most important position, and therefore he is to me, the most important second team player we have. To put him anywhere else is risky. I do hope that he plays a lot more this year at QB and I think this will happen. If our defense can stop teams better this year, then there should be a number of games where we are comfortably ahead early in the second half and Byerly can come in to protect JT and keep him fresh.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit more than that. It's the abandonment of our primary model of universal motion. Bit hard to reconcile general relativity plus our observations of gravity and the constancy of the speed of light when the entire universe zips around our planet once day.

And yet, it does. Step out from your mom's basement and watch. Would you be happier if I said "a lot harder" on the math?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Doggone it. You guys just stop that already.