Byerly Pass

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Byerly is the QB that threw this pass as well...

Too bad Smelter ruined it by being overly dramatic. :)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ya, Laskey made a great block and Tim did well under pressure of the in your face VT type blitz.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
People keep comparing Byerly to Nesbitt. I can see why, but if there's any difference between them this clip shows it. Josh used to drive me to distraction on short routes because he persisted in side-arming the ball. His arm was so strong he seldom saw the necessity to square up and follow through on short passes (he was letter perfect when he had to throw over 30 yards). And the ball, just as persistently, tended to climb up on him, just it would for a side-arm pitcher in baseball if he didn't bend at the waist. Incomplete!

Byerly uses exactly the right form for this shot pass, however, and the result is a thread-the-needle completion. He's actually pretty good back there. We'll see about this fall.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the whole toughness thing, I really don't see the comparisons either. Nesbitt was a phenomenal athlete and would have been an All Conference safety had he moved over to defense. That he played his entire career at QB but still made the Bills roster as a DB tells you how good of an athlete he was.

Not taking anything away from Byerly because I'm a big fan of his, but he is not on the same level as Josh as an athlete. I think Byerly has better touch on his passes, and may read the passing game better than Josh...but Josh was special in certain ways (see the FSU play, his ability to keep plays alive early in his career before injuries slowed him down, Mr. Automatic on 3 yards and shorter).

If anything, Byerly being compared to Josh is a compliment to Byerly's willingness to do whatever it takes to win...which Josh had few peers.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Please note that he did not flop his feet. (there are posters that insist this is done haphazardly on the drop back, instead of to sell the correct action on the run fake)