Bye Week Media

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Pretty interesting take by Key regarding the shotgun when short yardage situations. “Is the center going to sneak it”, well no, but the QB could. He also mentions that being in the shotgun gets the ball in the RB hands quicker, which while potentially true, doesn’t mean that the RB gets to LOS quicker.

I haven’t found any data for CFB yet, but here is an article I found with NFL data:
https://statsbylopez.com/2015/10/30/on-3rd-and-one-why-do-teams-go-shotgun/

League-wide, there’s an absolute improvement of about 4.5% (67.5 success rate versus 63%) comparing plays under center versus from shotgun. The difference is statistically significant (and if you want the p-value, it’s about 2 in 10000).

Again, that’s for NFL teams, I will keep trying to see if there is any CFB stats for it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty interesting take by Key regarding the shotgun when short yardage situations. “Is the center going to sneak it”, well no, but the QB could. He also mentions that being in the shotgun gets the ball in the RB hands quicker, which while potentially true, doesn’t mean that the RB gets to LOS quicker.

I haven’t found any data for CFB yet, but here is an article I found with NFL data:
https://statsbylopez.com/2015/10/30/on-3rd-and-one-why-do-teams-go-shotgun/

Again, that’s for NFL teams, I will keep trying to see if there is any CFB stats for it.

Yet carolina with a running qb in cam was 80 percent. Perhaps its more about personnel than formation. Cam is a threat as is the rb in shotgun. Under center he isnt much different than tom brady or joe flacco. Which ironically is why the under center rate makes sense. Who is joe flacco fooling in 2018

I would expect the ravens to even change now with jackson. Or the texans. Etc. my point is the dual threat is more present in shotgun. And so i get why its an appealing way to do it if your line is good enough to block

If your line can block

If your line can block

Under center the rb will hit the los faster. Which can help a touch if your line cant block

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yet carolina with a running qb in cam was 80 percent. Perhaps its more about personnel than formation. Cam is a threat as is the rb in shotgun. Under center he isnt much different than tom brady or joe flacco. Which ironically is why the under center rate makes sense. Who is joe flacco fooling in 2018

I would expect the ravens to even change now with jackson. Or the texans. Etc. my point is the dual threat is more present in shotgun. And so i get why its an appealing way to do it if your line is good enough to block

If your line can block

If your line can block

Under center the rb will hit the los faster. Which can help a touch if your line cant block
Great points regarding personnel. That’s why I wasn’t trying to draw conclusions directly from NFL data. I still think Key glossed over something more complex than “the rb touches it sooner.”

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
"Geoff Collins got pizza for the student managers as a thank you for their work."
Can you point to where the student managers screwed up?

You're clearly missing the point. Haven't you heard...GT lost to THE CITADEL. An FCS TEAM! Everyone involved with the GT football program must run wind sprints while being whipped with a wet noodle for the duration of the next 2 weeks. The beatings must continue until morale improves.

/s

It's football, guys.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If you have a running back next to you wouldn't it just be an incomplete pass because you have a receiver in the area?
You know, I am not sure anymore. I knew in the NFL it had to be under center, and the NFL rules clearly state it must be a hand to hand center exchange with the QB. The NCAA rulebook doesn't seem to make the distinction.

Item 3 - A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

But from the 2008 NCAA rulebook (can't find the 2019 online for free...)
Illegal Forward Pass ARTICLE 2. A forward pass is illegal:
a. If thrown by a Team A player whose entire body is beyond the neutral zone when he releases the ball [S35 and S9].
b. If thrown by a Team B player or if thrown by a Team A player after team possession has changed during the down [S35].
c. If it is the second forward pass by Team A during the same down [S35 and S9].
d. If, to conserve time, the pass is not thrown immediately after the ball is first controlled after the snap or is thrown after the ball has touched the ground. If, to conserve time, the pass is thrown where no eligible Team A player has a reasonable opportunity to catch it (A.R. 7-3-2-II-VIII) [S35 and S9].
e. If thrown from in or behind the neutral zone after a runner in possession of the ball has gone beyond the neutral zone [S35 and S9].

Based on the wording of the NCAA rule, it seems like it *should* be okay to spike it from shotgun, but I can honestly say I can't remember having ever seen it.