Butt Kicker

Techster

Helluva Engineer
TV displayed a graphic with the number of times he won or tied games with very late FGs. He is Mr. Clutch.

Remember, he was drafted and cut by the Panthers.

...and the Panthers were DESPERATE for a good kicker at the time. In the NFL, patience is low. Need makes you do desperate things...and by not exercising patience, the Panthers passed on a generational kicking talent. They did Butker a favor because the Chiefs are a fantastic franchise that will wait for talent to develop. That's why they've been a winning a LOT...and Butker has been a large part of all their winning.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
and the Panthers were DESPERATE for a good kicker at the time.
This is incorrect. The Panthers made Butker their final cut to make room for another player. They kept Graham Gano, who has had a successful NFL career. While I hoped Butker would stay at Carolina, the Panthers decision was certainly defensible.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is incorrect. The Panthers made Butker their final cut to make room for another player. They kept Graham Gano, who has had a successful NFL career. While I hoped Butker would stay at Carolina, the Panthers decision was certainly defensible.

You're right...my memory is failing me. I remembered the Panthers having kicking issues around the time Butker came into the NFL (2017), and looking at the history, Gano left the Panthers after the following season in 2018.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's an article that discusses the Panthers drafting Butker and then placing him on their practice squad.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here's an article that discusses the Panthers drafting Butker and then placing him on their practice squad.
I wouldn't call Butker any more of a role player than Valdez-Scantling or Kelce. He's a star on that team. He accounted for 92 points. Kelce is next with 74, McKinnon has 68 and then the next is 36.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't call Butker any more of a role player than Valdez-Scantling or Kelce. He's a star on that team. He accounted for 92 points. Kelce is next with 74, McKinnon has 68 and then the next is 36.
I don't think the author intended the term "role player" to apply to Butker, although I can see how it could be read that way. Later in the article, he referred to Butker as their "All-Pro-caliber kicker".

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I don't think the author intended the term "role player" to apply to Butker, although I can see how it could be read that way. Later in the article, he referred to Butker as their "All-Pro-caliber kicker".

Also, that article is almost 2 1/2 years old. He was just beginning his 4th season in the NFL.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Never got past the title. I guess Mahomes has a role player too.

And, yes, that is Buttkicker in the photo from his sophomore or junior season.