Bring back the Black Watch?

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw this discussion happening in another (recruiting) thread. What say you guys? Would you want us to bring it back? If so, how would you implement it under the current uniform rules?

My take: bring it back!! It gave us a lot of publicity, was fun and most importantly a defensive playing identity. I think our defense needs an identity badly theses days. For those too young to remember, not all players on defense were part of the black watch. You had to be voted in by other members.

How to do it? Simple, just give a reward sticker to the back of the helmet.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
These names will develop themselves if the performance dictates it. I loved the no fly zone stuff in 2014, would have been great if our interception ways would have stuck around for 2015. That was awesome.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
These names will develop themselves if the performance dictates it. I loved the no fly zone stuff in 2014, would have been great if our interception ways would have stuck around for 2015. That was awesome.
I agree, performance must dictate. There nothing worse than a nickname that doesn't live up to expectations. It soon becomes mocked and a new derogatory nickname replaces it by the enemy.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw this discussion happening in another (recruiting) thread. What say you guys? Would you want us to bring it back? If so, how would you implement it under the current uniform rules?

My take: bring it back!! It gave us a lot of publicity, was fun and most importantly a defensive playing identity. I think our defense needs an identity badly theses days. For those too young to remember, not all players on defense were part of the black watch. You had to be voted in by other members.

How to do it? Simple, just give a reward sticker to the back of the helmet.

This kind of stuff is definitely beneficial, and I'm sure the team has something going already, we just don't know about it yet. When it really gets good is when the team and the fans are all in, and the name starts to be something we can get behind (and buy a T-shirt). I hope they think up something cool. And as others have said, it affects performance!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I liked the black watch at the time but I'm not much in favor of the idea in the future. I prefer the "together we swarm" mantra more. If something similar were to be embraced I'd prefer to have visible indicators be a bit less prominent than the black GTs and helmet stripes were.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to recall if Alabama has a "nickname" for their D?

Or do they just go out on the field and try to beat the snot out of you.

Any top 10, or even 20 teams have some nickname?

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am trying to recall if Alabama has a "nickname" for their D?

Or do they just go out on the field and try to beat the snot out of you.

Any top 10, or even 20 teams have some nickname?

Not many currently Silas (I know you are trolling…but I'll play anyway). Nicknames are not as in fashion these days but still fun. Some from the past that were from dominate teams:

The Wild Bunch : USC (west)
The Wrecking Crew : Texas A&M
The Blackshirts: Nebraska
The Seven Magnificants and the Four Forgotten - Florida St (from the 60's).
The Fire Ants - South Carolina from the 80's
The Mafia - NC State …Rossi, Scarpati, Fazarano and Koszarsky would bring empty violen cases into the stadium!! Really did it.
The Red Elephants - yep…Alabama. From an Atlanta newspaper. It's how they got their mascot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not defense, but a famous unit nickname of the past was The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame.
Coincidentally, we have an offensive backfield quartet as well: qb, bb, ab, ab.
(pictured: qb, fb, lhb, rhb)

5784787_orig.jpg

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Go back to the 1958 and LSU wins a NC with their special unit the "Chinese Bandits". Today the PC police would have them in jail.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Not defense, but a famous unit nickname of the past was The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame.
Coincidentally, we have an offensive backfield quartet as well: qb, bb, ab, ab.
(pictured: qb, fb, lhb, rhb)

5784787_orig.jpg

The picture is in response to the greatest sports writing lead in history:
October 18,1924. Grantland Rice.
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore their names are Death, Destruction, Pestilence, and Famine. But those are aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Crowley, Miller and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
FSU started playing football in 47 & they were a poor team until they started passing with coach Peterson (sic & and later an idiot as houston oilers coach).
About this time their defense which formerly was Swiss cheese like also became very good. The dl and lb were very very aggressive. All shaved their heads and took on the nick name of "The Magnificent Seven".

I like the black watch but think the new guys should pick their own name .

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Are you kidding me? We like to make our recruits messageboard legends before they even suit up for us. You haven't visited the Vad Lee GT hall of fame section in a while, have you?
I've already penciled us in for 3 national titles at minimum with these kids