Brent Key tweet and apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwaukee

Banned
Give Brent a break geez! This guy is busting his tail trying to change the culture here and was excited about a 4 star recruit but saddened about the loss of a current player.

Completely agree. It was poorly worded and he felt bad and embarrassed about it. The people trying to imply that he doesn't care about the life lost are pieces of garbage imo.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Stop. Just stop. Anyone arguing this point further is doing a disservice to Big B, the Institute, our family.

It was a bone headed mistake. He took it down. If you believe there was malice behind it you’re a fool, if you know there wasn’t then step off the soap box.

Our extended family, and his blood family, lost a real piece of itself. This internal bickering about perception and intention is a bad look all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've held off replying to this issue, but I'd like to weigh in for a bit. There are several things I think we can all agree on:

1. It was a bad tweet. Whether intentional or not, it was in poor taste and should never have been tweeted.
2. He apologized and deleted the tweet. That's a positive. It doesn't negate the damage done, but it's the appropriate next step.
3. He deserves the backlash, but we should also be forgiving and give him a break, because...
4. This was bound to happen.

Let me explain number 4. Since we've gone all in on social media under the rebrand, we've been putting out a prodigious amount of content out there. We're tweeting and sharing rapid fire and when you do that, mistakes will eventually happen. Some of the best companies with major social media presences routinely put out questionable content. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory to some extent. We're going to have to be very careful if we're going to live on social media, and this likely won't be the last tweet we regret.

Let's show some grace here and learn from the mistake. Constantly bashing CBK isn't going to help any, so let's just move on.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, it's time to let Coach Key get back up off the deck.

We all screw up and say things badly sometimes. I did so in a major way during a meeting a couple of weeks ago, and my colleagues and supervisors let me up off the deck because I knew I'd screwed up, showed genuine contrition, and apologized. I was stunned and delighted by my colleaguges's forgiveness. It calls upon me to be a better person.

Yeah, the tweet was a bad look. But I'd bet Coach Key understands the mistake, so it's time to forgive and move on.
Thanks for being so damn honest. We’ve all been there to some degree at some point in time. Well said.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I love that we have coach key as a coach and recruiter but he would be one guy I would not want talking to the media. Just watching recent interviews and now this seems as if he does not think before he talks or types...

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I love that we have coach key as a coach and recruiter but he would be one guy I would not want talking to the media. Just watching recent interviews and now this seems as if he does not think before he talks or types...
You must have missed the Waffle House Wednesday episode with him then. He made a mistake but he's fired up about the Tech program and a great salesman for what we want to be.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never seen a group of people that claim to Support something, want it to fail so much. Tweet was a mistake, he apologized. Can we move on? Brent is going to be our best recruiter and a huge part of our future success, he’s a passionate guy working everyday to change the perspective of our program. We have a HUGE hole to climb out of to show everyone we are serious about recruiting big time players again. We just got our highest ranked Commit since 2007 and Brent Key wanted to share that with our fans. If he just tweeted “Who’s Next?” You would all be talking about how could he be tweeting about recruits without even mentioning the tragedy. He tried to fit them both into one and failed, and trust me he knows it. It’s time to put this tweet behind us.

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
I never met Brandon Adams, yet I had tears in my eyes when I heard the news, and as I read the tribute tweets from his teammates. I couldn’t get it out of my mind because it’s so tragic. It’s unfathomable to me that one of his coaches would not only continue with other duties the very same day, but then post about it on social media. I’m quite confident Coach Key’s intentions were noble. What I question is his judgement - severely lacking to say the least. FWIW even before this incident I sensed from previous interviews that this guy is a loose cannon. As is often noted in my line of work - executive leadership development- one can overplay a strength to the point that it becomes a weakness. In this case Coach Key’s passion may ultimately be his down fall. I’ve been a Tech fan since Eddie McAshan was the QB, and am the proud father of one Tech grad and another current student. I want the best for us, but this was embarrassing. A fireable offense, no. Enough to put him on “notice?” Absolutely.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I never met Brandon Adams, yet I had tears in my eyes when I heard the news, and as I read the tribute tweets from his teammates. I couldn’t get it out of my mind because it’s so tragic. It’s unfathomable to me that one of his coaches would not only continue with other duties the very same day, but then post about it on social media. I’m quite confident Coach Key’s intentions were noble. What I question is his judgement - severely lacking to say the least. FWIW even before this incident I sensed from previous interviews that this guy is a loose cannon. As is often noted in my line of work - executive leadership development- one can overplay a strength to the point that it becomes a weakness. In this case Coach Key’s passion may ultimately be his down fall. I’ve been a Tech fan since Eddie McAshan was the QB, and am the proud father of one Tech grad and another current student. I want the best for us, but this was embarrassing. A fireable offense, no. Enough to put him on “notice?” Absolutely.
Ok Backer, put him on "notice." Duly noted. One thing that we tend to miss in many texts is context. Coach Key wanted to bring a little light to a dark day. Did he miss the mark? If people say yes then you have to respect their feelings. I had a brief happy moment in what was a horrible day. Business goes on however, as we had at least 4 athletic teams playing when the news broke. The women's tennis team even dedicated their victory to Big B. If people can't see what is in the man's heart when he tweeted this then God help us all.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I think everyone has had their chance to speak their mind on this. The story is fading on social media and there is no benefit to continuing to fuel it IMO.
Do you realize every time you post in a thread you want to go away you bump it to the top? I don't see any issue with discussing this, or any pertinent issue, in house as long as people are respectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.