Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
"when" they continue. This season's offense was nothing but Johnson's offense, just not as potent.
I would agree the offense could be much more effective. However to compare it to Johnson's offense is just wrong. Sims in year one with 10 games has more passing yards in his first year than any QB during the Johnson era (for one year). Now clearly Johnson wanted run oriented QBs so they didn't throw nearly as much. But the offense under Collins certainly will be much more potent in passing. So how you compare that to Johnson's offense is beyond me.

passing yards over 1,000 in single season
Sims 1,881
Thomas 1,300 - 1,700 (freshmen year he didn't start)
Washington 1,200 - 1,600 (freshmen and sophomore year he didn't start)
Nesbitt 1,700 was top year (other 2 years below 1,000 - last year he only played 9 games)
Lee 1,500 was top year (was partial starter)
Marshall never had a 1,000

Yes Sims threw it more...but was a true freshmen with limited Spring Practice and Fall Practice and has a lot of upside. And the offense will be balanced passing and rushing. So clearly NOT Johnson's offense. Now whether it can be consistently effective is obviously the key to success moving forward.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Well the younger child did bring home two bad report cards.
Yes, having to take tests from the older child's notes. The older child had below average grades for 5 of his last 9 years in school (5 of 9 losing seasons, in case you don't understand the analogy).

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t feel a lot more enlightened than I was at the beginning of this thread. The Bobby Dodd photo was aight, though.

luke wilson eye roll GIF

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I would agree the offense could be much more effective. However to compare it to Johnson's offense is just wrong. Sims in year one with 10 games has more passing yards in his first year than any QB during the Johnson era (for one year). Now clearly Johnson wanted run oriented QBs so they didn't throw nearly as much. But the offense under Collins certainly will be much more potent in passing. So how you compare that to Johnson's offense is beyond me.

Sims 1,881
Nesbitt 1,700 was top year (other 2 years below 1,000 - last year he only played 9 games)

Yes Sims threw it more...but was a true freshmen with limited Spring Practice and Fall Practice and has a lot of upside. And the offense will be balanced passing and rushing. So clearly NOT Johnson's offense. Now whether it can be consistently effective is obviously the key to success moving forward.
If only the score board kept passing yards instead of points.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If SC is offering him more and he is considering it, let him take it. More money is good for him, and we should not be paying coaches more after 3-9,3-7 seasons. Literally no coach on our staff should be getting a raise.
You realize he had already ended any conversations with SCe when you posted this right?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Sims 1,881

quarterback left, quarterback right. Quarterback left ...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Dabo was hired at a low salary because he was promoted from being a position coach at Clemson, which was a mediocre program at the time (Dabo was a realtor in Alabama before that). The $1 million they paid him was a huge bump. He then lost to Spurrier 5 years in a row, whcih didn't exactly put him in a good bargaining position for another big bump.

To say that he "kept his salary low" is a complete misinterpretation of the facts, just like your opinion about the GT football program---- that is now bringing in the talent to allow Tech to compete in P5 football.

Out of curiosity, when you say compete in P5 football, what do you mean? 7-9 wins a season? 8+? 10+? And will these seasons be consistent year after year?

Status
Not open for further replies.