Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Oh I don't disagree with you. in fact, I agree that Key has under performed as far as recruiting O-line goes. He's also delivered much less than he promised recruiting wise. With that said, there was noticeable improvement in line play between first and second year (hard not to honestly). Nobody but CGC and CBK have the exact answers to whether CBK has lost confidence in staff or program. It could also be money reasons. This could all be a non-issue, none of this goes anywhere, and CBK stays.

Its just funny how quickly people are backpedaling suddenly (was my original point). What has changed from yesterday to today that suddenly has everyone proclaiming their reservations with CBK (in terms of his coaching ability)?
I don’t think I’ve seen anybody with legitimate reservations about his coaching abilities, though. My concern with his coaching ability is the posters who are proclaiming him to be the best OL coach in the nation. I think CBK is certainly a top-tier OL coach, but if you just use context clues from the job openings around the country, I’d say it’s far fetched that he’s the best. I think it will be a tough hole to fill if he does leave. I’m sure it will certainly have an impact. But I would absolutely not be willing to promote him to OC, or raise his pay a significant amount just to keep him here. If USCe wants to do either I’m sure they will. I’d also imagine there’s a young OL coach out there somewhere trying to move up the ladder that will be chomping at the bit to get the Tech job. I mean, Key got nominated for the Broyle’s award after Tech turned in the 123rd ranked OL. Imagine the praise for a coach that can just get it into the 60s.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I have tried to not post very much since I don't have much good to say about the FB program. But if CGC is going to make it, he MUST do what Dabo did and do what ever it takes to hire the best assistants. In this case what does it take to keep Key to help develop the OL further. Dabo kept his pay low at first so he had more money for the other coaches.

If this experiment is going to make it, he has to get the best coaches he can by any means necessary. If Key wants to be an OC, then we could sure use one.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’ll be glad if Key stays. I think he’s an important piece for the staff, and being an alum helps tremendously. But I’m also glad we didn’t rush to promote him to OC or give him a huge raise.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I’ll be glad if Key stays. I think he’s an important piece for the staff, and being an alum helps tremendously. But I’m also glad we didn’t rush to promote him to OC or give him a huge raise.
Haven’t seen anything regarding what was done. Maybe we did.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t seen anything regarding what was done. Maybe we did.
Could have. But I doubt it. Maybe a slight raise, nothing huge. He already makes almost as much as the OC and DC combined, and is in the top 15 highest paid OL coaches in the country. I don’t think there’s very much room for him to go up at Tech unless he does get the OC job.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So we're going to recruit with hookers and blow now!!! At GT we can do that!

NCAA edit for all you who just choked on your Arnold Palmers at the possibility of that happening, its from the movie. Calm down and return to your "We're GT, we’re better than that" life.

This captures the boards' reactions perfectly ...

survivor1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.