Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If Brent leaves, we should let Pnode go, bring on Gus as OC and an up and comer at OL.

Do IT!

Milwaukee

Banned
On one hand, there is a George O'Leary connection with Collins and Key, and those kind of connections can be important in coaching. But there is also a Beamer Sr./O'Leary connection. Hard to say what all of that means,

On the other hand, maybe Collins is disappointed in Key. Bama's OL this year was better than 2 years ago. The first assistant Sarkisian took to Texas from Bama was the OL coach. So the Bama job is open, and Saban isn't rushing to hire Key back.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on this one.
Key/Satterfield is the only connection in play here.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If Key leaves for less than $1m and we didn't offer him Pnut's salary/job, that's a major mistake on Geoff's part if he doesn't have someone equal or better lined up (and I don't think he does). Key is an excellent coach and recruiter with serious ties to Tech, while Pnut is mediocre at best at coaching and has no recognition as a recruiter, and no ties to Tech or the South beyond his current role here.

If Brent leaves, we should let Pnode go, bring on Gus as OC and an up and comer at OL.

Do IT!
Gustavo Malzahn is hot stinking garbage as an OC, in the SEC he's the Gimmick Offense guy that cannot beat his in-State Big Brother unless some luck is involved (sound familiar)

If we ever hired some crap like Gustavo as an OC we'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel

There's a guy out there that can get our Offense to 33 pts per game next season, even with our weaknesses at OLine, he's the HC at Duncanville HS (Tx)

His name is Art Briles and he was scapegoated by a shady azz Baylor Administration to cover up campus-wide increase in Date Rapes, mainly on Frat Row, in fact the Athl Dept paid out his entire Contract, about $12 Million because they couldn't find anything close to what the slanted media stories reported

If you want to know the truth about Briles, Google "Baylor FB, Will Cain, Art Briles" and see what pops

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have actual knowledge of CBK's scheme skills with regards to an Offensive Coordinator role? Just curious about it, beyond even this question.
I don’t know what his scheme is/was. But he was OC at UCF from 2014-15. In 2013 the year before he took over UCF was 30th in scoring offense and 8th in OFEI. In 2014 (his first year) they were 72nd in scoring offense and 87th in OFEI. In 2015 they were 126th in scoring offense and 128th (dead last) in OFEI.

So Key isn’t really a guy I would want to the take the OC spot if CDP is let go. Temple’s OFEI rankings under CDP were 94th and 58th in the same conference as UCF. An average of 76 compared to Key’s 91.

I agree with another poster from earlier in the thread. It’s possible that CGC isn’t impressed with the results CBK is providing. Sark took Bama’s new OL coach with him to Texas, and Bama hasn’t called Key up, or at least made a decent offer. OL recruiting has taken a pretty huge step up, but it’s not earth shattering. I think if Key leaves, the interest in OL transfers will probably dwindle, but I honestly don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world. There’s no reason to rush and promote Key with a huge raise or make him OC just because USCe is making him an offer.

Milwaukee

Banned
If Key leaves for less than $1m and we didn't offer him Pnut's salary/job, that's a major mistake on Geoff's part if he doesn't have someone equal or better lined up (and I don't think he does). Key is an excellent coach and recruiter with serious ties to Tech, while Pnut is mediocre at best at coaching and has no recognition as a recruiter, and no ties to Tech or the South beyond his current role here.
There’s nobody better at his position than Key in cfb other than Cristobal. This would kill Collins imo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I think Key is an outstanding OL coach. Easily one of the best in the nation.

However, to be honest, I've been a bit disappointed in his OL recruiting. We have definitely gotten better recruits on the OL compared to the last staff, but I've been disappointed we haven't been able to sign 1-2 4 star OLs per class. We've pretty much been able to sign 4 stars at every other position outside DT...and OL recruiting I thought would see the same affect with Key on staff.

Obviously it would hurt to lose Key from a coaching standpoint, but I think we would be fine.

TBH, from recruiting and developing standpoint, our best coaches on the staff have been Tashard Choice and Marco Coleman. Both have had multiple 4 star recruits at their position, and both have seen great play from their position players. Both were relatively new coaches as well.

Milwaukee

Banned
What makes you say that? Not being snarky. Just genuinely curious if there is data to back it up.
I doubt there’s any data tbh. It’s just common knowledge in the industry who the best are at their positions. Cristobal and Key are the best.

Edit: we’re extremely lucky to even have someone like Key in the first place. He’s way above us currently. I was just hoping he truly loved GT and would stay.

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think Key is an outstanding OL coach. Easily one of the best in the nation.

However, to be honest, I've been a bit disappointed in his OL recruiting. We have definitely gotten better recruits on the OL compared to the last staff, but I've been disappointed we haven't been able to sign 1-2 4 star OLs per class. We've pretty much been able to sign 4 stars at every other position outside DT...and OL recruiting I thought would see the same affect with Key on staff.

Obviously it would hurt to lose Key from a coaching standpoint, but I think we would be fine.

TBH, from recruiting and developing standpoint, our best coaches on the staff have been Tashard Choice and Marco Coleman. Both have had multiple 4 star recruits at their position, and both have seen great play from their position players. Both were relatively new coaches as well.

Remember this?
LINK

“I know the truth about this place. Somebody asked me how are you going to recruit to Georgia Tech differently than you were at Alabama. I said, ‘(Expletive), it’s going to be easier. It’s going to be so much easier. I’ve got more to offer.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I doubt there’s any data tbh. It’s just common knowledge in the industry who the best are at their positions. Cristobal and Key are the best.

Edit: we’re extremely lucky to even have someone like Key in the first place. He’s way above us currently. I was just hoping he truly loved GT and would stay.
I do believe Key is a good coach, but I don’t know if I would go as far to say that he’s the best. There’s been numerous higher profile schools go through coaching changes the past few years and Key hasn’t been a highly sought after commodity. At least not enough to warrant any rumors in the media. Texas, Auburn, Miami, Michigan State, Tennessee, etc. Sarkisian and Pruitt both worked with Key at Alabama and both got head coaching jobs, but neither took Key with them to their new gigs. I’d say Key is definitely a top tier OL coach, but there could be something going on behind the scenes that keeps him from being a hot commodity. After he left Alabama it’s not like their OL play slowed down any.

Milwaukee

Banned
I do believe Key is a good coach, but I don’t know if I would go as far to say that he’s the best. There’s been numerous higher profile schools go through coaching changes the past few years and Key hasn’t been a highly sought after commodity. At least not enough to warrant any rumors in the media. Texas, Auburn, Miami, Michigan State, Tennessee, etc. Sarkisian and Pruitt both worked with Key at Alabama and both got head coaching jobs, but neither took Key with them to their new gigs. I’d say Key is definitely a top tier OL coach, but there could be something going on behind the scenes that keeps him from being a hot commodity. After he left Alabama it’s not like their OL play slowed down any.
Strong take.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Strong take.
I’m not saying he’s a problem, or that he’s not a good coach. I’m just saying it’s weird that a coach that gets such high praise hasn’t been named in coaching searches at the high profile schools with job openings. Kind of like a highly rated recruit without any big offers. Makes you wonder if there’s something else going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.