Brent Key possibly to South Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If the rumors are true and he is leaving because a certain other member of the staff won't be let go then CGC better hope to God his offense is lights out next year or else his butt is going to be real hot when he sits in his seat.....

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
From what I can tell, their previous offensive line coach was already making $100,000 more than CBK at $700,000. If you add co-of coordinator title he will probably make even more.
Which title is better? Co-OC or AHC?

to me, AHC is better, so it must be significantly more money or he's just lost faith here. Keep in mind, this pandemic also has probably hit GT much harder then USCe funding wise.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I’ll still believe it when I see it. I think we’d pony up what it takes to keep him here. So if he left there would have to be some major clashing going on within the staff of which nobody around the program seems to be aware.

Completely uninformed, but could envision the situation being: Key listening to offers, telling them he needs some time to think, USCe coming away confident, Key discussing with CGC, CGC doing what needs to be done, and Key being on Tech’s staff moving forward (maybe with a heavier wallet).

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would feel a lot better about this is CBK were here for about 4 years and we had developed a solid oline with adequate depth. We are really still toward the beginning of that process with only one class having been on campus.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I’ll still believe it when I see it. I think we’d pony up what it takes to keep him here. So if he left there would have to be some major clashing going on within the staff of which nobody around the program seems to be aware.

Completely uninformed, but could envision the situation being: Key listening to offers, telling them he needs some time to think, USCe coming away confident, Key discussing with CGC, CGC doing what needs to be done, and Key being on Tech’s staff moving forward (maybe with a heavier wallet).
Will he pull a Cremins?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Man the speculation is heavy here. I’m not getting too riled up until and unless it is confirmed.

Would be a bad sign for CGC if his “buddy who came to help us build this” walks away but, this is a profession. He is an alum, but he still has to do what is best for him and his family so no disrespect if he leaves with good vibes to chase a better perceived opportunity.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
On one hand, there is a George O'Leary connection with Collins and Key, and those kind of connections can be important in coaching. But there is also a Beamer Sr./O'Leary connection. Hard to say what all of that means,

On the other hand, maybe Collins is disappointed in Key. Bama's OL this year was better than 2 years ago. The first assistant Sarkisian took to Texas from Bama was the OL coach. So the Bama job is open, and Saban isn't rushing to hire Key back.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on this one.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
All schools lose good assistant coaches. I really don't want to lose Brent Key, but there's probably some young hungry go get 'em line coach at another school just waiting for an opportunity to coach on the Power 5 level. You never know, we could come out ahead. I just wonder if the lay offs due to the budget has anything to do with this. And I hope there is no animosity among members of the coaching staff. That would be a Collins problem. Here on the internet, none of us know.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Wondering if this is Key leveraging USCe's interest to get a pay raise at Tech. If these rumors are untrue, Key should release a statement/tweet. The longer Key stays quiet, the more traction these rumors gain.

Still a very real chance that an idiot with a USCe twitter account made up a story and Quinlan jumped on it to sell memberships during a time when sells are likely decreasing.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
On one hand, there is a George O'Leary connection with Collins and Key, and those kind of connections can be important in coaching. But there is also a Beamer Sr./O'Leary connection. Hard to say what all of that means,

On the other hand, maybe Collins is disappointed in Key. Bama's OL this year was better than 2 years ago. The first assistant Sarkisian took to Texas from Bama was the OL coach. So the Bama job is open, and Saban isn't rushing to hire Key back.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on this one.
From what I hear there is also a Shane Beamer/Brent Key connection. I do not think there is any issue between CGC and CBK. CGC knew the oline would be the biggest issue he faced.
If CBK leaves I think it will say more about GT than CGC, meaning GT may not be willing to match what USC is offering. I think we at least need to be somewhere in the ballpark financially to keep him. He may also want to be more involved in the offense. Those are things we can do.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think Key coming with Collins gave him a lot of credibility because everyone knew of Key's coaching and recruiting prowess. If he leaves, which would most likely be for more money and possibly some similar title (Asst. HC or Co-OC), I think it is a big negative on Collins and GT. It means that either he has lost some faith in Collins and the situation or we couldn't afford to keep an alum to talked eloquently about coming back to GT. It is bad either way and nothing good would come of it. Only negatives. In the end, it likely all comes down to money and if GT can match what SC can offers or a better "situation," i.e. better opportunity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man the speculation is heavy here. I’m not getting too riled up until and unless it is confirmed.

Would be a bad sign for CGC if his “buddy who came to help us build this” walks away but, this is a profession. He is an alum, but he still has to do what is best for him and his family so no disrespect if he leaves with good vibes to chase a better perceived opportunity.

Fans often romanticize about their coaches and players. The truth of the matter is that college football is a business. Bill Curry left for 'Bama. Paul Johnson's agent is on voicemail trying to get an audience with Tennessee. O'Leary left for ND. Let's not forget, Brent Key use to recruit against us and the rumors were that he was pretty negative about it in recruits living rooms.

If any coach (or person) can improve their life and career by moving elsewhere, then they have a responsibility to do so. Never fault a guy for that.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think Key coming with Collins gave him a lot of credibility because everyone knew of Key's coaching and recruiting prowess. If he leaves, which would most likely be for more money and possibly some similar title (Asst. HC or Co-OC), I think it is a big negative on Collins and GT. It means that either he has lost some faith in Collins and the situation or we couldn't afford to keep an alum to talked eloquently about coming back to GT. It is bad either way and nothing good would come of it. Only negatives. In the end, it likely all comes down to money and if GT can match what SC can offers or a better "situation," i.e. better opportunity.
This is a good point of view.

It could be an opportunity to use this as leverage not only to get a better salary, but to also have more influence over the offense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Does anyone have actual knowledge of CBK's scheme skills with regards to an Offensive Coordinator role? Just curious about it, beyond even this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.