Brent Key Introductory Press Conference

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
They laughed at our offense under CPJ a lot. They stopped laughing when we hired TFG.
With Paul it was always nervous laughter and, as pointed out above, I think it might become so again. As for not laughing about TFFG, they probably knew what we were getting better than we did. No need to laugh at an opponent when you are pretty sure you will beat them.

And, btw, you can see why people said he crushed the interview. Now all we have to do is follow through. As Key said, that's the hard part.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with that. Maybe it should have been worded different by President Cabrera. It could just be my GT pessimism kicking in
The tweet said the goal had already been met. My interpretation is CBK provided the donation that put it over the top and it was for symbolism that it was his donation. I’m generally not that much of an optimist, but to me it seems like you gotta be looking for something negative to come away with a pessimistic view on that tweet

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched this when it was first posted this morningand just woke up. When I queed this up and hit play, I poured a stiff whiskey on ice and at first I cried. I hit pause and fixed another drink. I laughed and then wept and shouted THWG at my dog who looked at me like "WTF,bro?". I hit pause again and freshened up the drink. More cursing, weeping and slobbering. I opened up another window on my computer and started listening to IAARRFGT and UWTWAG on Youtube. The next 4 drinks were whiskey clear, unadulterated with neither ice nor bourbon. I had this press conference thing playing continuously on a loop while I thumbed through my 1990 Citrus Bowl program. I don't recall anything after that except for being asked to leave the WaHo sometime after lunch by Officer O'Grady. How did the stitches get there? I neither know nor care. The "I love the Yellow Jackets, how about you" tattoo sleeve on my right arm? I am comfortable that my wife will get used to it. The #2 guard on the clippers CBK haircut Darlene at the WaHo gave me? Priceless. Even though I think she got syrup in my hair. I haven't been this happy nor excited since I got the Schwinn bicycle with the banana seat and the high rise handle bars on my 8th birthday. Even though it was later repossessed due to Dad's "vacation with the state" as Mom called it. For those first two months life could not have been any better as I pedalled that bad boy with impunity through my trailer park as if I were a boss.

Last edited:

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
I was one of those who thought TFG was a used car salesman right out of the gate. And I will admit that CBK was not my first, or even second, choice for the head coach position. That being said, I like what I hear and I truly hope CBK can deliver results that match his intensity and enthusiasm...

Me too. I watched his introductory press conference on my lunch hour with a UNC fan. I came away unimpressed by him, but the UNC fan was pumped for GT.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Those that panned Collins before the first game had zero idea he would fail, only that they didn't like his first sales pitch.

BTW, I'm glad he's gone.
I didn't know he would fail so spectacularly. But it was obvious he was a terrible hire before his first game and it would be terrible for Tech. I shared that view often and finally had to turn into the casual fan that mostly stopped caring. Now I am back and getting excited again, donating again and planning on getting tickets again.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't know he would fail so spectacularly. But it was obvious he was a terrible hire before his first game and it would be terrible for Tech. I shared that view often and finally had to turn into the casual fan that mostly stopped caring. Now I am back and getting excited again, donating again and planning on getting tickets again.
Same here. I really, really, disliked TFG dissing the prior regime. I thought that was classless and had to "lose the room" with the returning players.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless he upgrades the talent on the roster, not much is gonna change. We will play harder and win a few more games, but that's about it. We really need to see better results recruiting wise.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Unless he upgrades the talent on the roster, not much is gonna change. We will play harder and win a few more games, but that's about it. We really need to see better results recruiting wise.
It will take some winning to help the recruiting. CGC really set us back in so many ways. If Coach Key can hold the team together and pull out a 7-8 win season and a bowl game that will really help move the needle.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow

Do you doubt his ability to coach up the current players? He was very adamant in the presser about coaching up the current roster

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

You can win 50% of your games just by being competent. I think we have 7-8-9 win talent on the roster, but it has been poorly coached. Better coaching (which ain't hard, relative to TFG) will get us to a winning record. To exceed that, we need next level coaching (See: The Ralph Friedgen) and/or better talent. I struggle to believe that we'll consistently crack top-25 recruiting rankings, so it's mostly gonna be coaching. That said, I don't think the difference between #25 in recruiting and number 40 is large.