Breakout returning players in the new schemes?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Okay guys, the other thread on dynamic duo got me thinking which current players on O and D are most likely to thrive in the new schemes on O and D. This is not so easy to predict, remember a lot of people thought Vic would kill it in Woody's D.

Even though we didn't get to see Tobias in the spring game due to injury, I think he'll make an impact on offense no matter where he settles out. He's just a tough gamer who reminds me a lot of Nesbitt.

On D, Juanyeh is set up for a big year, imo. No reason other than he's a stud and has a ton of athleticism and the new D seems to put a premium on athleticism. Oh, and he's long just like coach wants in his D players.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To be at least as good as last year our big play guys-QB RB and WR - must be able to match previous O efficiency. Otherwise our D must make up for it. Not only will skill players need to be good, our new OC needs to prove he can make the calls and game prep needed in this O. I think our D will be a little better than in the past but will it be enough to at least have a winning season? It may be mid season before we actually will see improvement. That assumes we have no significant injuries to our key players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To be at least as good as last year our big play guys-QB RB and WR - must be able to match previous O efficiency. Otherwise our D must make up for it. Not only will skill players need to be good, our new OC needs to prove he can make the calls and game prep needed in this O. I think our D will be a little better than in the past but will it be enough to at least have a winning season? It may be mid season before we actually will see improvement. That assumes we have no significant injuries to our key players.
As far as our skill guys on O go, if our OL can do their jobs of providing time for the passer and running lanes for the runners, they'll be more than ok.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Adonicas Sanders will break out on the O and one or both of the transfers (Clayton, Sims) will do so on D, provided they get the waiver.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
From the practice reports, it sounds like Tre Swilling and Adonicas Sanders are the likely candidates. They did pretty well during the spring game too.

Maybe this is a hope more than a prediction, but I think Antwan Owens is due for a breakthrough. He's shown a lot of versatility in the past, but I'm hoping the new scheme allows him to shine a bit more in the stat sheet.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Jalen Camp- another big bodied GT WR with sure hands. He also shown that he can create separation and win the 50/50 ball

Big leap here
David Curry-he’s been mentally shook football wise, hoping some solid coaching from CAT can make him an asset on the defense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We will play fast and get more possesions.
Our guys running the new offense will struggle in red zone.

Wesley Walker will get national attention.

Both Johnson and Graham will do very well at qb to a host of receivers (local press will call the receiving corp as the big suprises - so many that no one will get attention ) Next year they will get national attention.

In the ol look for Mike Maye and Austin smith to play as season progresses. The improvement ( play and depth) of the ol by November is critical. Coach key has a real challenge. For the gt loyal fans the ol breakout player is Defoor .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In the ol look for Mike Maye and Austin smith to play as season progresses. The improvement ( play and depth) of the ol by November is critical. Coach key has a real challenge. For the gt loyal fans the ol breakout player is Defoor .

Whether we see some breakouts on the OL will be the biggest determinant of whether we see breakouts elsewhere on the offense.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Whether we see some breakouts on the OL will be the biggest determinant of whether we see breakouts elsewhere on the offense.
OL depth is key, so whoever steps up into those 7 and 8 spots would be considered a breakout player IMO.

On defense, we need another corner besides Tre to break out. I think that's Z Walton.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
We will play fast and get more possesions.
Our guys running the new offense will struggle in red zone.

Wesley Walker will get national attention.

Both Johnson and Graham will do very well at qb to a host of receivers (local press will call the receiving corp as the big suprises - so many that no one will get attention ) Next year they will get national attention.

Maye is interesting. He was a team captain in the spring game fwiw. Some on this board have been critical of him before he ever played a snap. He didn't play at all last year, and I don't think Austin Smith did either. Austin Smith definitely looks the part. It will be interesting to see if you're right and these two step into those critical backup roles. OL needs depth, and the spring game showed a big drop off.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
While I'm all in favor of breakout players on both sides of the line of scrimmage, and many of the names mentioned should step up, but I'm not wanting to see Presley Harvin III. The fewer times he sees the field means that our offense is moving the ball effectively. He's a great kid and I hope we only see him booming the ball in warmups all season long.

Other than that I'm looking for both Malachi and Adonicus at WR to make some catches, and intrigued to see what Jahaziel Lee can do on defense. If he stays on that side of the LOS.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Big leap here
David Curry-he’s been mentally shook football wise, hoping some solid coaching from CAT can make him an asset on the defense
I hope you are right about David Curry, but it seems like he can't shake the injury bug. My breakout player is a freshman, Jamious Griffin. He'll be in the NFL draft after his junior year.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Camp had all the potential in the world last year, if we could throw him a pass inbounds. I hope he’ll do well.

I think Lee is going to do well on defense, or wherever he plays. I’m hoping a coaching change is good for DeFoors, and maybe the scheme change too.

Carpenter seems like a no-brainer to do well in this defense. I also hope the coaching change and scheme change does wonders for Curry. I think it will.

Quinney played well last year, especially for his age, aside from the times I saw him getting chewed out.

I think the transfers Clayton (DE) and Sims (CB) will both have good years. I think Ezzard is still sitting one?

This thread is making me feel a little weird. I think we’ll be decent at defensive end. I think with some of the offensive players moving over, we’ll do as OK at DT as we usually do. I have to admit, I went over to the roster to look at the players and see who I thought would break out, and I kept seeing Adams smiling in the middle of the page.

I think linebacker will get better. I have to hope that’s been a coaching problem.

I’m optimistic for defense. I have little doubt that special teams will be much better. I think our passing game will have problems though. I think the offensive line will be alright and eventually get to be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk