Braves trade for Brandon Phillips

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
After learning that Sean Rodriguez was injured in a car accident that will keep him out for 3-5 months, the Braves revived talks with the Reds about acquiring Brandon Phillips. They are close to a deal in which the Reds would eat most of Phillips' contract, and the Braves will send two players in return. Phillips vetoed a trade to Atlanta earlier in the offseason, but he has now agreed to the trade.

I'm a fan of this deal. The Braves have a phenomenal farm system, but it's going to take a few years for the talent to develop and materialize. I love that they are filling the team with short-term veteran players who can make us relatively competitive without blowing up the bank or giving up the future.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would rather trade for Brian Dozier but it would probably cost the Braves more than 2 prospects so I'm happy with getting Brandon Phillips.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Apparently, the names of the minor leaguers we're sending to the Reds won't be released until after Phillips passes his physical. At least now I can slow down from refreshing my twitter lists every 2 minutes for an update.

I just hope we're not giving up anyone with a high ceiling.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Phillips passed his physical. He will have a no-trade clause with Atlanta, so we won't likely have the option to flip him mid-season for prospects. From what I have seen, the Reds will receive 27-year-old LHP Andrew McKirahan and 29-year-old RHP Carlos Portuondo. I'm good with that. I doubt any of us were going to be buying their jerseys at any point.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Nice for the Braves to get another experienced player. I optimistically think the Braves go 76-86 and finish 3rd in the NL East.

I don't think 76 wins is optimistic, maybe realistic, but 76 wins would feel like a disappointment to my B+ blood. We went 31-25 after the trade deadline last year, and I think we've got a better roster now than we did then. There are still a lot of IFs for this team, but I don't even think everything has to go right for us to be in the conversation for a Wild Card spot.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Braves literally traded two pitchers who were going to sit in the minor leagues for Phillips. While the reds pay almost all of his 14 million dollar salary. It's a win win, he is an exciting player returning home to be the bridge for Albies.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I don't think 76 wins is optimistic, maybe realistic, but 76 wins would feel like a disappointment to my B+ blood. We went 31-25 after the trade deadline last year, and I think we've got a better roster now than we did then. There are still a lot of IFs for this team, but I don't even think everything has to go right for us to be in the conversation for a Wild Card spot.
I hope you're right! It would be nice to win 83 or 84 games.