Brandon Alston - ACC All Academic Team

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Do yourself a favor and read through some of the majors on that list. Commit that to memory and leverage it when people ask why it's tougher for us to recruit than most schools.

Here are some of my favorites:
Parks, Recreation, & Tourism
Arts & Sciences
Sport Management (I guess studying the management of more than one sport was too much to take on?)
Exercise Science

Also, side note - I wonder why MBIII hasn't declared a major yet??

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Do yourself a favor and read through some of the majors on that list. Commit that to memory and leverage it when people ask why it's tougher for us to recruit than most schools.

Arts & Sciences
Sport Management (I guess studying the management of more than one sport was too much to take on?)
Exercise Science

His major is the NBA which will be declared directly after Duke's season ends.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

Arts & Sciences
Exercise Science

I mean Exercise Science I'd say is a level above those. usually still have to take lab sciences and anatomy. it's usually used by the pre physical therapy kids

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Brandon is a stud! Graduated in 3 years from LeHigh and now makes All-ACC in arguably the most rigorous school in the ACC.. Bravo Brandon. I'm shocked that Ben isn't on this list...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean Exercise Science I'd say is a level above those. usually still have to take lab sciences and anatomy. it's usually used by the pre physical therapy kids

Yeah, my wife has a masters in exercise science/kinesiology, and I sometimes get aggravated by how folks on this board downplay majors like hers. Any time we have a discussion of majors, someone inevitably brings up exercise science, early childhood education, and sports management as "joke" majors.

You don't do yourself any favors with sidewalk fans like me when you do that. I was a history major, and though I didn't take calculus, I routinely read 500 pages a week and wrote research paper after research paper. My wife memorized so much anatomy and did so many labs I thought she was in med school.

I don't doubt the difficulty of engineering majors at GT. I probably couldn't hack it. But some of you math/science guys might find some of these "joke" majors tougher than you think.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, my wife has a masters in exercise science/kinesiology, and I sometimes get aggravated by how folks on this board downplay majors like hers. Any time we have a discussion of majors, someone inevitably brings up exercise science, early childhood education, and sports management as "joke" majors.

You don't do yourself any favors with sidewalk fans like me when you do that. I was a history major, and though I didn't take calculus, I routinely read 500 pages a week and wrote research paper after research paper. My wife memorized so much anatomy and did so many labs I thought she was in med school.

I don't doubt the difficulty of engineering majors at GT. I probably couldn't hack it. But some of you math/science guys might find some of these "joke" majors tougher than you think.
COMPLETELY agree!!

My physical trainer has more education on the human body than you can imagine, and knows more about it than I could EVER hope to know...and he puts it to very good use. I have nothing but respect for such folks, no matter whether they work in fancy offices or not, have ominous titles or not, or make a ton of money or not. My trainer has helped me become a much healthier, happier human being, and what more can anyone do?

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
COMPLETELY agree!!

My trainer has helped me become a much healthier, happier human being, and what more can anyone do?

Send rockets to the Moon, build Bridges or skyscrapers, make solar panels more efficient, perfect robots...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

I don't like that a lot of GT folks act snobby, like being a blue collar college graduate is to be looked down upon. Anyways......

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I definitely agree that those can absolutely be real, legitimate majors, but I’m genuinely curious how the course/work load for those majors looks early in the path versus late. I can imagine they are able to front load a whole lot of extremely basic, low-effort classes to give them an easy couple years while playing ball before going pro. Am I completely off-base here?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I definitely agree that those can absolutely be real, legitimate majors, but I’m genuinely curious how the course/work load for those majors looks early in the path versus late. I can imagine they are able to front load a whole lot of extremely basic, low-effort classes to give them an easy couple years while playing ball before going pro. Am I completely off-base here?
Not super entirely but you're acting like thats not the case for every other student as well. Even at tech it's rare for freshmen to come in and front load all their hardest classes. In fact 4 year plans are designed to backload classes that's why they're 3000 and 4000 level classes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't like that a lot of GT folks act snobby, like being a blue collar college graduate is to be looked down upon. Anyways......

The irony about this sentiment (not your actual statement mind you) to me is that I was a TA in grad school for Calc 1, but mostly, Calc 2. For the most part the students in there were engineers of various degrees. One thing I took away from that is for the most part engineers were students whose opinion of their abilities far surpassed their actual abilities. More so than any other type of student I met.