Brad Stewart

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
BS could play football, baseball and basketball at GT. He's by far the most athletic.

I can't comment on Baseball, but in regards to basketball? Um, no he couldn't. Maybe he could walk on at Tech for basketball, but no he'd never see any real minutes. Basketball is the hardest major sport to ever see live action in a game. Every high school in the country has a basketball team, every team has a "scorer" or their best players, then all those schools filter into a 100-something power programs, of those only 5 players can play at any one time...Its insanely competitive.

You can count on one hand the amount of impactful players that can genuinely play two Varsity sports at a Power 5 school. Deandre Smelter is probably one of the most purely athletic kids that has ever stepped on Tech's campus. Don't let the fact that he was recent confuse anyone thinking that its the "norm".

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
BS is a play maker and I've certainly enjoyed several he has made. Looking forward to watching our guys get after UNC tomorrow. Wish I could be there for it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can't comment on Baseball, but in regards to basketball? Um, no he couldn't. Maybe he could walk on at Tech for basketball, but no he'd never see any real minutes. Basketball is the hardest major sport to ever see live action in a game. Every high school in the country has a basketball team, every team has a "scorer" or their best players, then all those schools filter into a 100-something power programs, of those only 5 players can play at any one time...Its insanely competitive.

You can count on one hand the amount of impactful players that can genuinely play two Varsity sports at a Power 5 school. Deandre Smelter is probably one of the most purely athletic kids that has ever stepped on Tech's campus. Don't let the fact that he was recent confuse anyone thinking that its the "norm".

I think you are underestimating a lot. Almost every high school in the country also has a football team with a small number of "top" players. All of those schools filter into a smaller number of power football schools(because some of the mid-majors in basketball are regarded as highly as P5). It is extremely difficult for a high school football player to ever get on the field for a P5 program in football either. I am not attempting to say that basketball is not competitive, rather that football and baseball are just as competitive. The average high school player in any sport will never step onto a college field.

Also, I think you are underestimating the number of pure "athletes" on college campuses. Despite the fact that he isn't in baseball shape now, Tebow could have probably decided to play baseball in high school and college instead of football and been successful. Smelter is an incredible athlete, but do you intend to say that: Calvin Johnson is not a "pure athlete" and could not have played basketball; Michael Johnson is not a "pure athlete" and could not have played basketball; Morgan Burnett, Philip Wheeler, Demaryius Thomas, Anthony Allen, etc could not have played a different sport?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are underestimating a lot. Almost every high school in the country also has a football team with a small number of "top" players. All of those schools filter into a smaller number of power football schools(because some of the mid-majors in basketball are regarded as highly as P5). It is extremely difficult for a high school football player to ever get on the field for a P5 program in football either. I am not attempting to say that basketball is not competitive, rather that football and baseball are just as competitive. The average high school player in any sport will never step onto a college field.

Also, I think you are underestimating the number of pure "athletes" on college campuses. Despite the fact that he isn't in baseball shape now, Tebow could have probably decided to play baseball in high school and college instead of football and been successful. Smelter is an incredible athlete, but do you intend to say that: Calvin Johnson is not a "pure athlete" and could not have played basketball; Michael Johnson is not a "pure athlete" and could not have played basketball; Morgan Burnett, Philip Wheeler, Demaryius Thomas, Anthony Allen, etc could not have played a different sport?

85 scholarship athletes on a football team
13 scholarship athletes on a basketball team

What about watching Brad Stewart play wide receiver in college makes you, me, or anyone else think he's a 1 in a 500,000 (maybe million?) athlete? He doesn't dominate games, he's not as good as Smelter's first year playing receiver after a 3 year break. Again, I can't comment on Baseball (which is far more a learned skill than relying on athleticism), but Basketball...? To even begin the conversation, you have to play AAU. AAU runs nearly year round. How you perform at your 2AA school is insignificant to the waves you need to make on the AAU circuit. Why are we even saying Brad Steward could play at this level? He wasn't even a basketball prospect.

Smelter was a MLB lock with an insane fast ball. If he didn't blow his arm out, he'd probably be making tons of money in the MLB. He picked up football and within two years became a fourth round pick in the NFL. let that sink in, that's insane.

All the players you mentioned, we have no idea. Pure speculation. But maybe the only guy on that list is Calvin Johnson. Michael Johnson played bball and he wasn't a major prospect and neither was anyone else on that list. Did any of those people play baseball? I have no idea. Jamal Golden was a stud baseball player in high school but didn't get the same looks for baseball than he did for football. Who knows for any of those guys? Look at it this way, Bo Jackson wasn't the best running back ever nor was he the best left fielder ever, but the fact that he could play both so successfully sets him apart.

I didn't play college basketball, but my brother got a full ride at a d1. we both played high school and aau. i have no illusion that i was a d1 level player, or even d2, but i watched my brother start three years as a PG, and let me tell you...that **** ramps up fast in college in all the major sports. the size, level of athleticism, and most importantly the time and commitment that those guys exhibit in d1 basketball is unreal. i'm not saying brad isn't athletic, he's clearly a great athlete...but to just casually imply we have a potential D1 level three sport star on our roster? Wow, if that's the case, we need more production out of him. Put him at LB or safety....or something....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
85 scholarship athletes on a football team
13 scholarship athletes on a basketball team

What about watching Brad Stewart play wide receiver in college makes you, me, or anyone else think he's a 1 in a 500,000 (maybe million?) athlete? He doesn't dominate games, he's not as good as Smelter's first year playing receiver after a 3 year break. Again, I can't comment on Baseball (which is far more a learned skill than relying on athleticism), but Basketball...? To even begin the conversation, you have to play AAU. AAU runs nearly year round. How you perform at your 2AA school is insignificant to the waves you need to make on the AAU circuit. Why are we even saying Brad Steward could play at this level? He wasn't even a basketball prospect.

Smelter was a MLB lock with an insane fast ball. If he didn't blow his arm out, he'd probably be making tons of money in the MLB. He picked up football and within two years became a fourth round pick in the NFL. let that sink in, that's insane.

All the players you mentioned, we have no idea. Pure speculation. But maybe the only guy on that list is Calvin Johnson. Michael Johnson played bball and he wasn't a major prospect and neither was anyone else on that list. Did any of those people play baseball? I have no idea. Jamal Golden was a stud baseball player in high school but didn't get the same looks for baseball than he did for football. Who knows for any of those guys? Look at it this way, Bo Jackson wasn't the best running back ever nor was he the best left fielder ever, but the fact that he could play both so successfully sets him apart.

I didn't play college basketball, but my brother got a full ride at a d1. we both played high school and aau. i have no illusion that i was a d1 level player, or even d2, but i watched my brother start three years as a PG, and let me tell you...that **** ramps up fast in college in all the major sports. the size, level of athleticism, and most importantly the time and commitment that those guys exhibit in d1 basketball is unreal. i'm not saying brad isn't athletic, he's clearly a great athlete...but to just casually imply we have a potential D1 level three sport star on our roster? Wow, if that's the case, we need more production out of him. Put him at LB or safety....or something....

How many kids on the average HS basketball team, and how many kids on the average HS football team? There are fewer spots available for BBall, but also fewer kids trying. The point I was trying to make there is that no matter what impression you got from playing AAU BBall, it is not easy to get an FBS scholarship for football. If you think that any of the FB players at GT were average HS players, then you are wrong. Every one of them was among the best on their team. When JJ was the point guard at GT, he made a statement during an interview that when he was in HS, every HS game he played in he was the best player on the court. He said that when he got to GT, every player on the team had been the best player on his HS team. As I said, I think you are underestimating the difficulty in: Getting a FB scholarship to start with, and then getting on the field in FB. It is not easier in FB than in BB.

I don't know if Stewart could play multiple sports or not. I am pretty sure that any FB player who wanted to try would be immediately shut down by CPJ. Even if they are talented in multiple sports, they will not be as effective at any if they spread their time around. My "pure athlete" comments were more generalized. I don't know if any of those guys could play multiple sports. However, I am pretty sure that any of the guys I mentioned could switch sports and get on the field, or floor. Take a look at the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 GT BB roster. Do you not think that MJ could have made one of those teams as a forward if he stopped playing football and started concentrating on basketball? Smelter is a great athlete, but he wasn't the dominating WR in his first few football games. I am not saying that we had many players who would have been all-star NFL and MLB and NBA players. But we have had a lot of guys who could have changed sports like Smelter and done really well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will repeat what I have said before...if you are a D1 FB or BB (either sport) AND an enginnering major AT GT, you have been dealt an unbelievable had. That makes BS an apex predator.There can't be more than 50-100 guys a year graduating HS each year with the ability to do both. i've done only one of those things and know how difficult it was.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
How many kids on the average HS basketball team, and how many kids on the average HS football team? There are fewer spots available for BBall, but also fewer kids trying. The point I was trying to make there is that no matter what impression you got from playing AAU BBall, it is not easy to get an FBS scholarship for football. If you think that any of the FB players at GT were average HS players, then you are wrong. Every one of them was among the best on their team. When JJ was the point guard at GT, he made a statement during an interview that when he was in HS, every HS game he played in he was the best player on the court. He said that when he got to GT, every player on the team had been the best player on his HS team. As I said, I think you are underestimating the difficulty in: Getting a FB scholarship to start with, and then getting on the field in FB. It is not easier in FB than in BB.

I don't know if Stewart could play multiple sports or not. I am pretty sure that any FB player who wanted to try would be immediately shut down by CPJ. Even if they are talented in multiple sports, they will not be as effective at any if they spread their time around. My "pure athlete" comments were more generalized. I don't know if any of those guys could play multiple sports. However, I am pretty sure that any of the guys I mentioned could switch sports and get on the field, or floor. Take a look at the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 GT BB roster. Do you not think that MJ could have made one of those teams as a forward if he stopped playing football and started concentrating on basketball? Smelter is a great athlete, but he wasn't the dominating WR in his first few football games. I am not saying that we had many players who would have been all-star NFL and MLB and NBA players. But we have had a lot of guys who could have changed sports like Smelter and done really well.

dude, yes, if you went back in time you could say if lots of these kids focused on other sports maybe they could play other sports st the same level.

I completely disagree that getting a scholarship for football isn't easier than basketball. But that's my opinion based on the people I played with in both sports, and the numbers in general. In basketball, you're either 6'6" + and can move like a deer or you're lights out quick and amazing shot just to get a look. Football takes far more gambles on "developing players". I can think of a dozen scholarship players at tech right now that have provided nothing more than a warm body to practice against and cover kick offs. You can find some lunatic walk ons to fill that need.

We will just agree to disagree.
The fact that you think he could even walk on as a college basketball player, and we both know he would start in baseball and does start in football, makes him the most athletic player on the team. Hands down

Ok mrs Stewart. Next time you watch tech, look for the guys not dressed behind the bench..that would be brad. Hilarious you think brad Stewart is the most athletic guy on the Georgia tech football team. Absolutely hilarious.

Also: pwo does not equal walk on. Ask brad about that...lots of warm bodies on a football field that are practice dummies

Oh, and a lock to start at an acc baseball team? He was a 500 pick in the draft! Good lord you're mental.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I see more Brad "hate" than hype. Brad has good hands, adjust to the ball well, and high points excellently. His speed is his achelies heal. I am very glad Brad is on the team. He is only in his second year and has two more years to become even better.

What happens is that Brad makes a good play, people comment on good play, and the anti Brad crowd says he is not that great, others defend Brad, repeat.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the same Laskey hate. I sure hope this is just a difference of opinion and not the other possibility.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how this works, I say something positive about BS, and hate comes my way. I say something positive about Mills, people agree with me, I say something positive about Jordan, people send hate. I think it works both ways.
Another example is Philpott, no doubt is a great athlete, but it seems like a lot of posters think he is the next DT or CJ, and he hasn't played any meaningful snaps. I shared that article about the Academic All District, SA because here at Tech we're better than you, and we know it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how this works, I say something positive about BS, and hate comes my way. I say something positive about Mills, people agree with me, I say something positive about Jordan, people send hate. I think it works both ways.
Another example is Philpott, no doubt is a great athlete, but it seems like a lot of posters think he is the next DT or CJ, and he hasn't played any meaningful snaps. I shared that article about the Academic All District, SA because here at Tech we're better than you, and we know it.
Not sure why anyone would get mad if you say something nice about a Tech SA.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I had no doubt Brad could play on our Basketball team. We're playing a Fullback at Point Guard. You can't tell me there's not a spot for a WR on that team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had no doubt Brad could play on our Basketball team. We're playing a Fullback at Point Guard. You can't tell me there's not a spot for a WR on that team.

based on some of the descriptions of what CJP has on the roster I am not sure that most of us couldn't help the team this year. I once scored 16 in a church league game and went off for 13 against the SAE's at the SAC in intramurals. Coulda had more with a decent PG.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
based on some of the descriptions of what CJP has on the roster I am not sure that most of us couldn't help the team this year. I once scored 16 in a church league game and went off for 13 against the SAE's at the SAC in intramurals. Coulda had more with a decent PG.
Well I was gonna try out but I only scored a high of 7 against the SAE's.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well I was gonna try out but I only scored a high of 7 against the SAE's.

I have never admitted this before publicly but mine were mostly in garbage time. We were down by 52 in the 4th quarter and I got ten against their 4th team which was a bunch of sorority girls from Zeta Tau Alpha. They were pretty cute iirc so I was putting on a show with the rock. I probably could have gone pro but my high school coach wouldn't play me (he even cut me from the squad to make sure of that). Then there was that whole knee thing too. I try not to dwell on it and play the "what if" game. We all just got to keep moving forward.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I've probably only ever agreed with the Laskey comment but I think subconsciously it's because people can relate with him better probably because he is white and isn't overly fast. How athletic he really is is debatable but there's no doubt he doesn't really look all that athletic.

Someone said recently how they can't believe Steph Curry isn't clearly the most popular player in the NBA because someone of his stature is so much more relatable to any kid whereas LeBron is just unnaturally big, tall and fast. He's a once a generation kind of athletic talent.

The one thing that can't be disputed is Laskey put up big numbers (over 2000 career yards) in only 13 career starts. Oh yeah, he also held onto the ball and picked up positive yards just about every time he touched the ball. We can't get in track meets with anyone. We need the 7 and 8-minute drives to win against teams like UNC. The 1 and 2 play 87 yard drives are overrated IMO.