Bracketology - Let's Do This

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anyone notice who at the AJC has GT going to the Final Four?

AJC link

"I like the Yellow Jackets to win the Midwest Regional, which happens to be the toughest regional. What can I say? Tech is playing as well as anybody, and — given that it has the ACC’s player of the year, the ACC tournament’s MVP and the ACC’s defensive player of the year — we can’t say that Josh Pastner’s team is without talent."

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This year's defensive efficiency is 3rd out of the 5 years Pastner has been here. It's the first year GT hasn't had a major rim protector at the back so the defense was really re-tooled. It's a good number, just not a great one.

on the flip side, the offensive efficiency is the best at GT since the Young, Crittenton, Smith, Dickey, Peacock, and West team of 2006-07 (116.9) and is almost exactly the same as the 03-04 FF team (that team was 113.5, this year's squad is 114.0). Only that Young and Crittenton team had a significantly better offensive efficiency number than this years. As I mentioned 03-04 was just behind it and 07-08 was just ahead of it (114.5). That number is actually helped by all the live ball TO this team has generated.

If I wanted to compare this team to past GT teams the closest comparisons would be the 06-07 squad and the 04-05 squad. Metrics were pretty similar. The FF team wasn't as good on offense, but was insanely good on defense - 88.5.

I also went back to look at the ballhandling and this is the best ballhandling team at GT in the last 30 years (they only started keeping TO starts in the early 90's). This squad has team A:TO ratio of 1.44:1 in all games and 1.43:1 in ACC games. The other really strong ballhandling teams came in the mid 90's. 93-94 (Best and Barry) had a 1.18:1 in all ames and 1.35:1 in ACC games. 94-95 (Best and Barry) 1.33:1 in all games and 1.23:1 in ACC games and 95-96 (Barry and Marbury) 1.17:1 in all games, 1.27:1 in ACC games.

The last time GT had a team with more assists than TO was Pastner's first squad (Gregory's last squad also was better than a 1:1). Almost all of Hewitt's squads had more TO than assists, the best Hewitt teams tended to have right around a 1:1 ratio.

GT and Loyola-Chicago are 2 of the best ballhandling teams in the country this year. Loyola has a 1.3:1 a:TO ratio.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm very interested to see how UVA performs this weekend.
UVA has been isolating its players in individual rooms and will have no practices before it plans to leave for IND Thursday night. So i'm thinking they get one practice on Friday before the game Saturday.

Dave Gavitt says 67 teams have arrived in IND so far and at this point there have been 5 positive tests (no info on whether that is players, coaches, staff etc.)

Keep in mind after 6 pm tonight the field is set. No replacements. Any team if it has to withdraw that game becomes a no contest and the other team advances.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's after 6 pm, so the field is officially set. If any team can't play at this point it becomes a no contest and the opponent moves forward automatically.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Anyone notice who at the AJC has GT going to the Final Four?

AJC link

"I like the Yellow Jackets to win the Midwest Regional, which happens to be the toughest regional. What can I say? Tech is playing as well as anybody, and — given that it has the ACC’s player of the year, the ACC tournament’s MVP and the ACC’s defensive player of the year — we can’t say that Josh Pastner’s team is without talent."
I really really dislike Bark Madley. The only time he isn't trashing our teams is when we are having success. I refuse to read any of his material. He is the definition of a band wagoner, and when things aren't going great, he goes right back to being the vile little troll he's always been.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think the arguments over how teams are picked and seeded makes my CFP selection statements even more true. At least in NCAA basketball, the committee cannot keep out a team that qualifies. By "qualifies" I mean gets entered because they meet the aq requirements of their conference. I think all conferences now have a tournament and the tournament winner gets the aq. Louisville might feel bad that they weren't given a mulligan by the committee, but they had an opportunity and didn't produce. In football, UCF had zero chance in 2018 no matter what they did. Coastal Carolina had zero chance in 2020 no matter what they did. If GT, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, and USC go undefeated in 2021, GT will have zero chance. Whining about seeding, or about not getting a second chance is much better than winning every game by 40 points and not getting any chance at all.

I disagree. If GT goes unbeaten in football, we've won @Clemson, @Miami, @Notre Dame, and vs. Georgia at Bobby Dodd! Not to mention another likely win vs Clemson in the ACC Championship game. I like our chances in that scenario against everyone but Alabama or Ohio State.

And editing to say that I like our chances to be in the top 4 in that scenario. I'd like our chances to beat Alabama or Ohio State if we made it that far unbeaten.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. If GT goes unbeaten in football, we've won @Clemson, @Miami, @Notre Dame, and vs. Georgia at Bobby Dodd! Not to mention another likely win vs Clemson in the ACC Championship game. I like our chances in that scenario against everyone but Alabama or Ohio State.
You underestimate how much more money is involved in athletics at USC and especially Texas.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT and Loyola make the list. I'd say Illinois is one of the hottest teams in the country right now as well, and if we win Friday, that's a big mountain GT will have to climb to get out of the first weekend.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT and Loyola make the list. I'd say Illinois is one of the hottest teams in the country right now as well, and if we win Friday, that's a big mountain GT will have to climb to get out of the first weekend.

If it were easy, everyone could do it!
I get the sense that our guys are not ones to back down from a challenge. But if we get by these two teams this weekend, lookout world.