Bracketology - Let's Do This

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
No way they should have allowed that ball to be caught. The defender is looking right at the pass and has plenty of time to fight his way around and deflect it.
agree, but half the time the message from coach is "DONT FOUL" and kids play behind and avoid contact, which allows plays like this.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Mercer and State look like they will be playing in their conference championships if both make the tournament the early losses don’t look as bad. Even if GSU just makes it saying you lost a tournament team in 4 OTs and came out flat less than 48 hours later sounds better.

Deleted member 2897

There is a chance that every team we lost to will be an NCAAT team this year with one exception. Duke. Talk about irony.

While also having wins over several teams who will get in - Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia Tech. If they skip the #4 team but take 5, 6, 7, and 8 it will be very Georgia Tech. But it won’t happen. By the ratings, we should be an 8-10 seed. And we finished 4th in the ACC despite by far a tougher record. There aren’t any of their models (NET, KenPom, Sagarin) that have us out.

Deleted member 2897

I want us to play Colgate in the 1st round. What are they doing at 8 in the NET rankings?

KenPom has them at #89. If they win their conference tournament, they should get in as a 13 seed. If not, they should be out. Would love to see them get a 6 seed that we play as an 11 seed. Or a 7/10 matchup.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
KenPom has them at #89. If they win their conference tournament, they should get in as a 13 seed. If not, they should be out. Would love to see them get a 6 seed that we play as an 11 seed. Or a 7/10 matchup.
If I am reading the NCAA website correctly, the only ranking tool the committee uses is NET. So KenPom can have Colgate at #350 and it won't affect their seeding.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If I am reading the NCAA website correctly, the only ranking tool the committee uses is NET. So KenPom can have Colgate at #350 and it won't affect their seeding.
I went back and checked:

"Starting with the 2017-18 season, the team sheets took on a new look. They now not only include each team’s NET, but also include a team’s ranking in five other metrics: the ESPN strength of record and BPI rankings, as well as the KPI, KenPom and Sagarin rankings."

Not sure if that's outdated or not.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I went back and checked:

"Starting with the 2017-18 season, the team sheets took on a new look. They now not only include each team’s NET, but also include a team’s ranking in five other metrics: the ESPN strength of record and BPI rankings, as well as the KPI, KenPom and Sagarin rankings."

Not sure if that's outdated or not.
A couple of years ago, 2019 IIRC, there was a long discussion about the selection process that @RamblinRed contributed to. He is not very active now, but perhaps he will chime in on this. He had a different take on the use of NET vs. KenPom, etc.. Maybe my memory is faulty or I misinterpreted his comment.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
NET really isn't designed to be a true ranking systems. It's more designed to categorize teams for the purpose of designating quality wins, but not necessarily the most accurate for differentiating relatively close teams.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of years ago, 2019 IIRC, there was a long discussion about the selection process that @RamblinRed contributed to. He is not very active now, but perhaps he will chime in on this. He had a different take on the use of NET vs. KenPom, etc.. Maybe my memory is faulty or I misinterpreted his comment.
I've missed @RamblinRed this season. Hope he's ok

LibertyTurns

Banned
You all thinking GT has any chance of playing Colgate need to step away from the pipe. Colgate is likely going to a Big 10/11/12/13/14 team. If not, then SEC. GT does not get favorable match ups.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
anyone remember the name/location/link for our traditional swarm bracket?
It has been awhile, you may need to translate it when we were part of the dance
1615221787310.png

Deleted member 2897

You all thinking GT has any chance of playing Colgate need to step away from the pipe. Colgate is likely going to a Big 10/11/12/13/14 team. If not, then SEC. GT does not get favorable match ups.

I'm predicting we get a 8/9 seed in Gonzaga's bracket and a ranked team in round 1 like a Wisconsin.

As of today, ESPN still has us on the bubble. Idiots.