Bracketology - Let's Do This

crut

Helluva Engineer
Also, more proof of the craziness infinite loop NET is stuck in. Three #1 seeds from the Big Ten? LOL. They have so many Q1 wins because they all are ranked in Q1 and all play each other. Even the #12 team in the Big Ten counts as a Q1 win, and that's Penn State at 7-12. LOLOLOLOL. Ohio State has 12 Q1 games. (They are 8-4.) I mean come on, LOLOLOLOL.
I assume this has a lot to do with the lack of a lot of NC games this season. What is the actual piece of the NET ranking that is creating the loop? Didn't the ACC and B10 basically tie in the ACC/B10 challenge?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I assume this has a lot to do with the lack of a lot of NC games this season. What is the actual piece of the NET ranking that is creating the loop? Didn't the ACC and B10 basically tie in the ACC/B10 challenge?
The ACC went 5-7 against the B1G. The wins came from:
  • Last place Nebraska (1-12 in conference)
  • 13th place Northwestern (3-13 in conference)
  • 9th place Indiana (7-8 in conference), who took FSU to OT and lost by 2 on the road
  • 7th place Maryland (8-9 in conference)
  • 5th place Purdue (10-6 in conference) lost to Miami before they were decimated with injuries
The B1G beat:
  • Last place Boston College
  • 11th place Notre Dame (6-8 in conference)
  • 8th place Duke (8-6 in conference)
  • 7th place Syracuse (7-5 in conference)
  • 5th place Louisville (6-4 in conference)
  • 4th place UNC (8-5 in conference)
  • 3rd place Virginia Tech (8-3 in conference) and lost by 20 points to Penn State
The B1G is solid, and just flat out better than the ACC this year. The ACC beat 1 B1G team with a winning conference record, and the Miami team that beat them is not even close to the same Miami team that Tech just played. The B1G beat 5 ACC teams with winning conference records, and the same Penn State team that’s 4-11 in conference beat 3rd place Virginia Tech by 20 points on the road.

Deleted member 2897

• 9th place Indiana (7-8 in conference), who took FSU to OT and lost by 2 on the road
  • 5th place Purdue (10-6 in conference) lost to Miami before they were decimated with injuries
The B1G beat:
  • 3rd place Virginia Tech (8-3 in conference) and lost by 20 points to Penn State
The B1G is solid, and just flat out better than the ACC this year. The ACC beat 1 B1G team with a winning conference record, and the Miami team that beat them is not even close to the same Miami team that Tech just played. The B1G beat 5 ACC teams with winning conference records, and the same Penn State team that’s 4-11 in conference beat 3rd place Virginia Tech by 20 points on the road.

The Big Ten is better, but not that world of difference better. Think about what a different team Georgia Tech is from when we played Georgia State and Mercer.

Illinois is fighting for a #1 seed, is in 2nd place in the BigTen, and is #4 in NET ranking. They beat Ohio (not Ohio State) by 2. They lost to Baylor by 13. They lost to Missouri. They lost to damned Rutgers. They lost to damned Maryland. IIWII.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The B1G beat:
And yet, that didn't matter when the ACC was spanking that fanny every year and the B1G got more invites.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The Big Ten is better, but not that world of difference better. Think about what a different team Georgia Tech is from when we played Georgia State and Mercer.

Illinois is fighting for a #1 seed, is in 2nd place in the BigTen, and is #4 in NET ranking. They beat Ohio (not Ohio State) by 2. They lost to Baylor by 13. They lost to Missouri. They lost to damned Rutgers. They lost to damned Maryland. IIWII.
The Ohio game came on the back end of a stretch where they played 3 games in 3
days. They still won the game.

Baylor is the consensus #2 team in the country. They’ve put up 100+ points in 4 separate games this year

They lost to a ranked Missouri team on the road by 3 points.

The lost to Rutgers by 2 points on the road.

Illinois does not deserve a #1 seed, nor will they get one barring some sort of cataclysmic event at the top of the rankings. But they are a solid 2 or 3 seed.

crut

Helluva Engineer
The B10 may be better this year, but in general the differences in conferences in 2021 are being inflated due to the lack of non-conf. games.

At this point the SOS for ALL B10 teams is in the top 20 in the country due to the self-fulfilling loop that has been created.

Deleted member 2897

The Ohio game came on the back end of a stretch where they played 3 games in 3
days. They still won the game.

Baylor is the consensus #2 team in the country. They’ve put up 100+ points in 4 separate games this year

They lost to a ranked Missouri team on the road by 3 points.

The lost to Rutgers by 2 points on the road.

Illinois does not deserve a #1 seed, nor will they get one barring some sort of cataclysmic event at the top of the rankings. But they are a solid 2 or 3 seed.

All of that are arguments for Georgia Tech getting into the tournament. You could make the exact same story for us. (They scored 100 once, so did we.)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
All of that are arguments for Georgia Tech getting into the tournament. You could make the exact same story for us. (They scored 100 once, so did we.)
Neat? I never said anything to the contrary. Tech controls their own destiny for the most part. Win and get in. Lose and get left behind. But that has nothing to do with Illinois

Deleted member 2897

Neat? I never said anything to the contrary. Tech controls their own destiny for the most part. Win and get in. Lose and get left behind. But that has nothing to do with Illinois

Right, other than the long Big Ten post you made. That's what I was responding to.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Right, other than the long Big Ten post you made. That's what I was responding to.
You tried to compare Illinois’ resume with Tech’s even though they’re not even remotely similar. The B1G is stronger than the ACC this year, both on paper and on the court given the results on the ACC/B1G challenge. Does the B1G legitimately have 10 of the top 52 teams in the country like NET says they do? Probably not. But they’re going to get at least 8 teams in the tourney. The ACC will be doing well to get more than 6. That’s why it’s important that Tech wins the games left on the schedule. Anything less than 3-1 to finish the regular season + at least 1 win in the ACCT doesn’t get us in.

And btw, since you brought up Illinois’ loss to Baylor by 13, figured I’d remind you that UVA (#2 in the ACC with the most wins) lost to Gonzaga by 23, and to San Fransisco.

Deleted member 2897

You tried to compare Illinois’ resume with Tech’s even though they’re not even remotely similar. The B1G is stronger than the ACC this year, both on paper and on the court given the results on the ACC/B1G challenge. Does the B1G legitimately have 10 of the top 52 teams in the country like NET says they do? Probably not. But they’re going to get at least 8 teams in the tourney. The ACC will be doing well to get more than 6. That’s why it’s important that Tech wins the games left on the schedule. Anything less than 3-1 to finish the regular season + at least 1 win in the ACCT doesn’t get us in.

And btw, since you brought up Illinois’ loss to Baylor by 13, figured I’d remind you that UVA (#2 in the ACC with the most wins) lost to Gonzaga by 23, and to San Fransisco.

I'm sorry that out of everything we just typed, you gathered that I was trying to compare Georgia Tech to Illinois. That wasn't what I was after. Sorry about that. Most everything else you said other than that were the points I was making.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The B1G beat:
yeah, I don't buy that. The match-ups are based on last year's outcomes, not the quality of the teams this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

That's just stupid.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
USA Today puts Minnesota in ahead of us with a 6-10 conference record. I just don't see a team 4 games below .500 in conference getting a bid.

USA Today also has both Rutgers and Maryland in with a losing conference records (because they beat Illinois?).

/

Deleted member 2897

USA Today puts Minnesota in ahead of us with a 6-10 conference record. I just don't see a team 4 games below .500 in conference getting a bid.

USA Today also has both Rutgers and Maryland in with a losing conference records (because they beat Illinois?).

/

Yep, that’s ludicrous. People are drunk if teams like those get in.