Boycott Sweetwater

slugboy

Staff member
Bold Monk has a library. You can grab a beer and a book and chill out.

Wild Heaven (Avondale) does a lot of experiments, and they’re tasty ones. Three Taverns

Wrecking Bar and Twain’s are both great Decatur spots. Or you can go to Brick Store pub and get anything.

Three Taverns in Decatur makes great beer.

High Card in Tucker is a couple of guys who love to make beer, and they make some good ones.

Monday Night Brewing has a garage on the belt line.

I remember Atlanta Brewing from when it was Red Brick. Great people.

I’ve never visited reformation, but every beer of theirs I’ve had has been top shelf

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Wild Heaven (Avondale) does a lot of experiments, and they’re tasty ones. Three Taverns

Wrecking Bar and Twain’s are both great Decatur spots. Or you can go to Brick Store pub and get anything.

High Card in Tucker is a couple of guys who love to make beer, and they make some good ones.

I’ve never visited reformation, but every beer of theirs I’ve had has been top shelf
High Card/Blue Tarp (they are conjoined twins) is a neat hole-in-the-wall spot, but while we are in the neighborhood, Tucker Brewiing is not far down the road.

They recently won 2nd-best beer garden in the US, and a gold medal for theirs all-purpose (light) lager. It’s really a great hangout, particularly when they have live music (which is often).

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Aren't there 2 questions here...
1) What's a good ATL brewery that'll cater (better) to Tech fan base?
2) Best watch party location(s) in Atlanta?

Is there really not an answer to the 2nd question? I'm not local... but I hope if I were in Atlanta last weekend there'd be quite a few no brainer places to go to watch the Jackets WITH Jackets.

I'll hang up & listen to your response.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Is there really not an answer to the 2nd question? I'm not local... but I hope if I were in Atlanta last weekend there'd be quite a few no brainer places to go to watch the Jackets WITH Jackets.

I would hope if you were in Atlanta this weekend, you would go down to the Benz and be there in person! We need fans at the games.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

If people are truly eager to watch the game in town, with alcohol and friends, they should pick up tickets and watch the game live. Just my two cents. Lots of the breweries (not named sweetwater) mentioned in this thread here are fantastic and I love visting them. Recently been hanging around the Works at Scofflaw’s pour house ‘Dr Scofflaw’. It’s a fun time.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be up for that.

Here's how you boycott Sweetwater and drink better beer:

Need something close to Sweetwater? Just head down Monroe from Armour and go to Orpheus Brewing. Their sours are particularly excellent.

Willing to drive 10 minutes? Head over to Chattahoochee Industrial, where all the breweries hang out:
(Working north to south)

Atlanta Brewing Company (technically off collier, but like 2 minutes away) One of ATL's first breweries, I like the Laughing Skull ale, brewed for the Vortex.

Scofflaw. A wide array of IPA's. Good stuff, and I frankly burnt out on IPA during the hops arms race.

Second Self. GT alumni owned and run, my favorite is the Thai wheat, especially on a hot day.

Bold Monk. A newish brew pub focused on Belgian monastic style beers. Their tripel is good, and there's some real gems in the limited run beers. Also excellent muscles and fries.

Firemaker. Newish brewery with an amazingly broad menu because they focus on breadth in their taproom instead of depth in distribution. This is my personal favorite with excellent porters and stouts, German style beers, and sours. In fact, their lactose sour Chattahoochtea tastes damn well close to an iced tea. Won an award for best new brewery last year.

Steady Hand. Their IPAs are juicy and New England style, their other beers are unique. I like the toasted coconut blonde stout and the double barrel aged (bourbon and rum) stout.
This here is a Top Tier Public Service Announcement. 👍 Thank you!

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
This. Second Self is run by GT grads.
You ever done a GameDay there?

You can put Reformation in that list of ATL breweries with GT owners and huge fans as founders. Four of the six original founders are GT fans & alums.

The only UGA fan in the whole leadership team is the sales director and we let him know that he's always on thin ice if he talks crap. ;)
I didn't realize that. Now you're going to get me in trouble switching out my golf during round Sweetwater 420 for the draft (insert club name) IPA.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
You ever done a GameDay there?

I didn't realize that. Now you're going to get me in trouble switching out my golf during round Sweetwater 420 for the draft (insert club name) IPA.

Jude (a Belgian Triple) was even packaged in a White and Gold (Pantone 4515c) can, although we refrained from referencing GT directly in the name for all of the obvious trademark reasons.

new-web-featured-photos-7-1024x683.png

Last edited:

Killer Bee

Georgia Tech Fan
Atlanta brewing company, formerly red brick, is a local business and has a large tap room with tv. Also, sweetwater is Canadian owned, so other than local staff, money doesn’t stay here.
Wait, ABC changed their name to Red Brick and then back to ABC? They had the best tastings in Friday before the laws changed.

slugboy

Staff member
Wait, ABc changed their name to Red Brick and then back to ABC? They had the best tastings in Friday before the laws changed.
They were originally Red Brick back in the early 90’s, and they used to be several blocks away from the V on Williams Street
For some reason, their website says Atlanta Brewing, but if you visited them then, it was “Red Brick”

Killer Bee

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't forget to the east down North Avenue/Ponce you have Torched Hop (15 min walk to stadium and tasty beers/food) and New Realm next to old Sears/beltline and Wrecking Bar at 5-pts.
So many choices, so little liver.
While I've enjoyed Sweetwater in the past, I do tend to stay local with my spending/drinking habits, and when they sold to the Canuck Cannabis company, I haven't bought one since. I liked Kevin's beers better anyways, so would often go to 5 Seasons instead when in town "back in the day".
*Little 5 Points 😎

Killer Bee

Georgia Tech Fan
They were originally Red Brick, and they used to be several blocks away from the V

I remember them being ABC in the early 2000's before switching to Red Brick (I still have an old Laughing Skull beer sign with the old name). I always preferred ABC, so glad to see the name is back.

Killer Bee

Georgia Tech Fan

Wrecking Bar is in Atlanta (L5P)

slugboy

Staff member
I remember them being ABC in the early 2000's before switching to Red Brick (I still have an old Laughing Skull beer sign with the old name). I always preferred ABC, so glad to see the name is back.
It was Red Brick in the 90’s, at least back in 96

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Yes, they were ABC, then they switched the name to be aligned with their most popular beer, Red Brick. Then they switched back to ABC recently.

I don't know, but I'm guessing because "Red Brick" was named so based on a quote about 'rebuilding the city one red brick at a time' from the mayor after Sherman burned the city. Since it isn't PC to be associated with anything from that era (even surviving a war crime like burning down a city including people's homes), they wanted to distance themselves from that history.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
All you guys with your fancy beers..

I miss quarter beer night at Grumpy's.

Well, maybe not the beer (although I credit Grumpy's with getting me to drink beer). I do miss being able to do stupid stuff like drinking like that with a bunch of friends. Ohh, and Grumpy Dogs - those things were the best.