Bowling Green

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
3-2 win to start. Excellent pitching overall as one of there 2 was unearned. We got down 0-2 in the third but then held them really well. One of our runs was on a four pitch walk - it hurts to lose like that.

Good D with 3 or 4 double plays. They kept getting lead off hitters on and we kept up good pitching and field play. Roberts and Dusty really are slamming the door at the end. Nice solid win.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After falling behind 0-2 (again), we rallied for 4 in the third. I take credit since I felt the rally coming and got the first beer of the day. Drink and they will come.

In the fourth, Pitts found his groove and slammed the hammer down - striking out the side. Things looking up!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Great to get the series win already...here is for the sweep tomorrow.

By the way I read the other day we are one of only four teams to start 5 Freshmen.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any idea who the other four teams are? I would think they have been off to a slow start also.

There are two ways to look at so many freshmen playing
1) The freshman class is really great
2) Holy cow - I just looked and we have 5 non-freshman players who are not predominantly pitchers!!! So we had no choice but to play Freshman or predominantly pitchers.

We only have 12 who are not listed as pitcher first. And 19 who are pitchers first. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/geot-m-basebl-mtt.html Too bad we can only use one pitcher at a time! How are we going to give them all their game time? (Thank God it's not like football where we have to argue about only using one QB and neglect the rest (tic).)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice sweep, 8-5. Great job by Grimes in relief. Heddinger had another rough outing - time to find another starter and let him work some long relief at some point??

Tuesday, most important game of the regular season. UGAg - Hall has had his way with the puppies recently.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Only question in my mind is how long we go before we allow Grimes back into the weekend rotation. Was Sunday's performance enough, or do we need to see a little more from him?

Heddinger should be our weekday starter. At least before we send him to the bullpen.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
By the way I read the other day we are one of only four teams to start 5 Freshmen.

One of only four teams in Division I or what? Either way, I'm not surprised. We are very young and we have been playing like that a lot this season. Can't blame em, college ball is a big adjustment from high school especially with pitching. It's much harder to hit college pitchers, but with the talent our young guys have shown so far I think we can expect them to adjust well and (hopefully) soon.

Just makes me nervous going into conference play here soon...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Grimes needs some more relief IMHO. He has 7.2 innings and 3 wild pitches. He's getting better, but since we don't see him throw practice it's hard to say. I hope we only use our best for UGAg tomorrow. Forget developing talent tomorrow.

I think we are going to have some problems this year in the ACC. With 6 ACC teams in the top 25 and us not having played a top 25 team yet, there is going to be a step up. We're tied for fourth in the ACC for non-conference games, so we kind of middle of the pack so far. http://www.theacc.com/#!/standings?sport=m-basebl

Season end results this year in order of likelihood; I think we make the first two:
1) Make ACC tourney
2) Make NCAA tourney
3) Make CWS
4) Win ACC
5) Win CWS (need a keg to believe that)