Bowl Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fair enough... I just watched the games. The ones between college football teams. The action was high level (like the semis). The scores & game flow were down to wire (unlike semis).

I guess I got lucky choosing to watch.

No wonder you like college baseball when MLB has so much higher skill level ......

Once the playoffs began, all other bowls became meaningless.

And I stopped watching

I only watched ND lose since it felt good.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone else annoyed by star players opting out?
Not even a little bit. Unless you've got championship aspirations at this point the bowls are meaningless and have been for a long time. Their primary purpose is to make money for ESPN via advertising dollars and the bowls themselves by forcing the schools attending to buy tickets at cost. They didn't even use to count the stats accrued in bowl games. Personally I haven't taken bowl games outside the championship or the playoffs seriously since I was in high school and I'm glad the veneer has started to fall off. At least for the players. If had a potential pay day of millions awaiting me I sure as **** wouldn't play in some meaningless game to make some other people money.

Nah, it's stupid man. Why is this ONE game a risk but the prior (pick a number) weren't? The chance of injury in this game is the same as it was in every other game.
That's simple. Because the other games are actually count and are part of the season. This ONE game is nothing more then an appendage slapped on three weeks after the end of the season as a marketing exercise. And I seriously doubt many Pitt fans would agree with you that this bowl game is their most important game in 16 years after they played in a conference championship game and won a month earlier. That matters. Peach Bowls don't. This isn't the 70s & 80s anymore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not even a little bit. Unless you've got championship aspirations at this point the bowls are meaningless and have been for a long time. Their primary purpose is to make money for ESPN via advertising dollars and the bowls themselves by forcing the schools attending to buy tickets at cost. They didn't even use to count the stats accrued in bowl games. Personally I haven't taken bowl games outside the championship or the playoffs seriously since I was in high school and I'm glad the veneer has started to fall off. At least for the players. If had a potential pay day of millions awaiting me I sure as **** wouldn't play in some meaningless game to make some other people money.

That's simple. Because the other games are actually count and are part of the season. This ONE game is nothing more then an appendage slapped on three weeks after the end of the season as a marketing exercise. And I seriously doubt many Pitt fans would agree with you that this bowl game is their most important game in 16 years after they played in a conference championship game and won a month earlier. That matters. Peach Bowls don't. This isn't the 70s & 80s anymore.
Sad but true. I think one of the ways you can tell the bowl games are not as important anymore is how many long commercial breaks there are now. I attended the first five Peach bowls, and compared to now, it was practically non-stop football with only official timeouts for injuries or as called by teams. To be fair, I can’t prove that, but I don’t remember waiting forever to resume play like we do now. It’s like ESPN wants to milk this cash cow for all it’s worth before it runs dry.

The other thing that made bowls more important was that a lot more teams had a shot at a national championship. All you had to do was win your bowl big, pray for other teams to falter and cross your fingers when the final vote came out. Finishing in the top 10 was a huge recruiting advantage but not so much with today’s kids. If you are not finishing number one they just want to know what the perks are for joining your team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The All American Bowl on NBC Saturday Jan 8 at 12:00 is a dog and pony show for top recruits. Cade Klubnik is the top player and is going to clemson as qb.

I briefly saw him play in a hs playoff. Has aG arm - but clearly not T Lawrence cannon status. . He makes throws and read defenses like all qbs from Austin Westlake (texas hs qb factory) .

I think we will see him play against Gt in MB because the current Clemson qb has trouble seeing the field. While he and the rest of Clemson talent can defeat p5 s , he is currently too weak for mega p5 competition .

Klubnik and his hs team were much more talanted than the standard hs talent they faced. In this match up he will face much better DB s so his timing and accuracy will ned to be
Dialed in.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I can understand the point of view of bowl games being meaningless because it's not part of the playoff, but let's be honest, 90% (maybe more really)_ of college football games don't lead to those teams getting in the playoff. The interesting thing about bowl games is getting to watch some intra-conference play that doesn't normally occur. And watching competitive games between decent teams was a lot better than the two playoff games, that's for sure.