Bowl Season

mkemkay

Georgia Tech Fan
Are bowl games headed to the trash bend? They could end up as scrimmages basically for teams looking at their players for next year the way it is heading presently it appears to me. For revenue they absolutely need to expand the playoffs it appears.

I would love to see them revert to an older style less governed by contracts with conference. The UCF - Florida game was well attended and liked because it was local and had some elements of a rivalry.

That feels like the only way they will survive.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not at all. I’d do the same thing. It’s a business.
Nah, it's stupid man. Why is this ONE game a risk but the prior (pick a number) weren't? The chance of injury in this game is the same as it was in every other game.

I.e. if you're Pickett and with three games left in the season you are eliminated from the ACCCG then why even play after that?

This was literally the biggest game Pitt has played in since 2005 and their best player just decided it didn't matter to him.

OK, so since it's a business, let's talk business. Guys like Pickett are almost certainly on an endowed scholarship and agreed to play football for the school in exchange for someone to pay for them to go to school. Well if you decide to sit out the biggest game in 16 years when you're perfectly healthy then I would consider that a violation of the agreement. Many may say I'm being ridiculous since he did so much for the school, but you can't call it a business for the kids and then say it's not a business for the schools. It's one way or the other.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It already is a business on both sides, it just isn't called that.
And what is the 'penalty' for violating the agreement - losing your scholarship - not a big deal to a young man that has for all practical purposes left school.

I actually sort of wish college football would just be declared a business, i'm not sure either side understands what that means. From an AA standpoint you could potentially lose your tax exempt status, which will cost millions of dollars of year in revenue to the AA's as they will both have to pay taxes to the government as well as likely have lower donations as they would no longer be tax exempt for those who make the donations.

On the player side, if you are declared an 'employee' then you would have to pay taxes on the benefits being provided by the AA. Also, as an employee you can be easily 'fired'. If the coach doesn't like how you performed then you could just be 'fired' from the team and lose all the benefits it is providing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's not even the same teams without those guys. Feels pointless to watch.

Yup, that's why I told @iceeater1969 it seemed more a punishment to have to watch all these bowl games. They are meaningless to other than the two schools in them. I could better spend the time watching Olympic curling replays.

I do care about the two games today that matter. Wish it were an 8 or 12 or 16 team playoff.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I barely watch 5% of bowl games anymore but I think that is due to my age, not caring as much about football as I once did, and not wanting to spend that much time sitting.

Having said that, the Tennessee vs Purdue game was a very good show. Back and forth, high scoring and a jam packed stadium were perfect for drinking beer at a bar with a bunch of friends hooting and hollering.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I.e. if you're Pickett and with three games left in the season you are eliminated from the ACCCG then why even play after that?

Well if you decide to sit out the biggest game in 16 years when you're perfectly healthy then I would consider that a violation of the agreement.
I agree - I think you’ll see more draft eligible players sitting out earlier if their team is clearly out of contention.

It may well be a violation of the agreement, I don’t know the details of contracts players have. But is the school ever going to come after the player? Ok, then they can pay back the $50k for the year (good luck to schools trying to collect, imagine the PR and legal nightmare that would be), but it probably wouldn’t change the calculus much for first round picks.

Finally, I think players overestimate the risk of serious injury. However they also have little to gain and no real cost of sitting out, so the choice is pretty lopsided.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe I’m saying it, but expanding the playoff would actually help. At least the teams / games involved in the playoff would have full participation.
The playoff was destined to ruin the bowl system but let’s face it, bowls are only around for nostalgia and money at this point. Nostalgia is out the window if the revenue can be increased, so it’s coming.
As for college football being a business; absolutely. It’s a shame it is coming to this (in my opinion) but it’s coming, regardless, so it’s time for the NCAA (or someone) to enforce some regulations before even a playoff can’t save it.

Edited to make readable.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I agree - I think you’ll see more draft eligible players sitting out earlier if their team is clearly out of contention.

It may well be a violation of the agreement, I don’t know the details of contracts players have. But is the school ever going to come after the player? Ok, then they can pay back the $50k for the year (good luck to schools trying to collect, imagine the PR and legal nightmare that would be), but it probably wouldn’t change the calculus much for first round picks.

Finally, I think players overestimate the risk of serious injury. However they also have little to gain and no real cost of sitting out, so the choice is pretty lopsided.
I think it will go the opposite way... they’ll start offering kids bonuses to finish the year if the team is in contention for something. We’ll give you $50k and a $2m insurance policy protecting you from career ending injury - go play.
That still may not be enough for projected big time first rounders, but college football is about to become victim to its own success.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Espn and bowls will decide on future $$ ,

The Pitt game with out the Heisman runnerup was a big let down w / o picket.

This game could have been hyped up for a big tv ratings. Got to have at least one minor bowl game to be a big winner.

Espn does not need more money issues.

Likely cutbacks to payouts coming or possibly complete reorganiztion ( ncaa who?, go big or go home go)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I barely watch 5% of bowl games anymore but I think that is due to my age, not caring as much about football as I once did, and not wanting to spend that much time sitting.

Having said that, the Tennessee vs Purdue game was a very good show. Back and forth, high scoring and a jam packed stadium were perfect for drinking beer at a bar with a bunch of friends hooting and hollering.

I have an upper respiratory tract infection right now (no COVID tests available). Maybe I should go to a bar packed with uGag fans? Just kidding, but bars are not where I'd want to be. I watched about 1/4 of the Purdue game (with no sound) and it was a really good game. But other than the SEC losing, I don't care.

I will be drinking whiskey at home to watch the dwags lose today though.

Still no news on who is out for CFP? We'll find out soon enough.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it will go the opposite way... they’ll start offering kids bonuses to finish the year if the team is in contention for something. We’ll give you $50k and a $2m insurance policy protecting you from career ending injury - go play.
That still may not be enough for projected big time first rounders, but college football is about to become victim to its own success.
Good call. NIL deals may also drive kids to bowl games. Again I don’t know how these deals are structured but Pickett’s sponsors might not be happy, either.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is all headed to a much bigger playoff picture. The bowls aren't going away but will become part of the playoff. I envision a 28-team play-off with the P4 champions getting a first-round bye (eventually the B12 is going to drop from the P5 rank and the big schools will join other conferences and the rest will become a G5 level conference). It will be a 5 round play-off ending the 2nd week in January. The Bowls will act as play-off rounds.

I would have said that the league championship games would go away (and they may for all but the P4), but conferences don't want to lose that cash cow. Way too much money straight to the conference for that league championship game. I could also see the season dropping back to 11 or even 10-game seasons. 10-game seasons means the two teams playing for the championship would be playing 14-15 games, same as they are now.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is all headed to a much bigger playoff picture. The bowls aren't going away but will become part of the playoff. I envision a 28-team play-off with the P4 champions getting a first-round bye (eventually the B12 is going to drop from the P5 rank and the big schools will join other conferences and the rest will become a G5 level conference). It will be a 5 round play-off ending the 2nd week in January. The Bowls will act as play-off rounds.

I would have said that the league championship games would go away (and they may for all but the P4), but conferences don't want to lose that cash cow. Way too much money straight to the conference for that league championship game. I could also see the season dropping back to 11 or even 10-game seasons. 10-game seasons means the two teams playing for the championship would be playing 14-15 games, same as they are now.
The FCS has a 24 game playoff currently. That includes 8 national seeds who get a bye in the first round. That means up to 5 rounds for one of the non seeded teams. But the reality is two of the national seeds (two of the top eight teams) are highly likely to make the championship game...so 4 rounds. I could see the playoffs eventually getting to that level but I think the 12 team playoffs (or at the least 8 teams) is the next step. My personal preference is to move to 8 teams with 5 Power 5 champions getting automatic bids (I do think the Big 12 would remain that status since they have added very qualified Group of 5 teams with BYU, UCF, and Cincinnati), Group of 5 if they are rated in the Top 10 for the 6th bid and 2 wildcards (or 3 if the Group of 5 is not in the Top 10). That makes the champions of the Power 5 conference worth a lot more and keeps any conference from getting too many bids (many primarily SEC and secondarily Big 10).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have an upper respiratory tract infection right now (no COVID tests available). Maybe I should go to a bar packed with uGag fans? Just kidding, but bars are not where I'd want to be. I watched about 1/4 of the Purdue game (with no sound) and it was a really good game. But other than the SEC losing, I don't care.

Full disclosure, I’m not going to bars these days. I was speaking hypothetically about this game being a good one to watch in that kind of atmosphere. Maybe after this last wave of Covid…..

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Forgot to add “get better and take care of yourself.”

Rumors about top players at Michigan being out for game. Georgia’s rumored players could theoretically be recovered by now

I think you are right we won’t know till game time. My nightmare scenario is Michigan playing with 2nd and 3rd string.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Forgot to add “get better and take care of yourself.”

Rumors about top players at Michigan being out for game. Georgia’s rumored players could theoretically be recovered by now

I think you are right we won’t know till game time. My nightmare scenario is Michigan playing with 2nd and 3rd string.

Thanks. I heard about the local 7-11 getting test kits this morning and got one. Just a head cold apparently. I'll still stay away from people until I've felt better for a few days, but now my wife can do her appointments this week with a clear conscience.

Who plays in the CFP games is going to be really interesting. I think there is more COVID in the north right now since they are already inside more than the South.

Since I don't know the outcome of the uGag/Mich game, I'll have to root for Bama in the first game. It would be nice to have a no SEC championship, but an all SEC championship is more likely. One can hope till the games over though.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I heard about the local 7-11 getting test kits this morning and got one. Just a head cold apparently. I'll still stay away from people until I've felt better for a few days, but now my wife can do her appointments this week with a clear conscience.

Who plays in the CFP games is going to be really interesting. I think there is more COVID in the north right now since they are already inside more than the South.

Since I don't know the outcome of the uGag/Mich game, I'll have to root for Bama in the first game. It would be nice to have a no SEC championship, but an all SEC championship is more likely. One can hope till the games over though.
I travel all over the US for work. It's been my recent experience that even though it's colder in the North, I see far fewer masks being worn in the South than I do in the North. In and of itself, that doesn't say anything. However, it may be indicative of lower risk tolerance and stricter adherence to things like distancing and other hygiene-related actions that could reduce the transmission of any type of virus. Obviously, this is all generalization, and kids on college campuses are notorious for not listening. I also see fewer masks the lower the population density, regardless of what part of the country it is.

I've got 3 kids on Northern college campuses right now (Chicago, Urbana-Champlain, and Baltimore), so I've seen/heard it first hand.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Appears someone wasn't ready with the quantity of tests needed for the uptick brought on by the new variant? Anyway, hope you get to feeling better fast. I had one about a month ago, and I ended up on AB's and steroids so that I could knock it out. It was probably viral, but I did get better pretty quickly after the Z pack. Go Big Blue!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Really conflicted about Alabama vs Cincinnati. It would be great for football in my opinion for Cincinnati to win. But my fear is that Alabama is the only team that can beat Georgia.